Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm still trying to find a name for my FJ but here is my buildup so far

Most Recent:

Now on to the build..

When i got my 2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser Upgrade Package 2 i think.. it was the summer of '07 and i was a 15 year old and was given this machine as a gift from my grandfather (yea lucky i know) and i knew nothing of the off road community.
Bone Stock (with 'upgraded tires' i couldn't find and O.G. pics):

My Sound System of choice
JL Audio Stealthbox with an Eclipse amp and Custom Bass Tuner:

I ran over a motorcycle kick stand on the freeway blowing out my rear passenger tire and forced me to replace the 'Dunflops' with something a little more aggressive on my mom's dime! :big thumb:
I, knowing nothing of the aftermarket world at this point listened to the America's tire sales man like he was a god of tires and agreed to the GoodYear Wrangler AT/S in a 275/70/17 size

Thinking i was super badass in these aggressive all terrain tires i decided to do some puddle jumping in the flooded areas at my high school, which i think was where the road to off-roading began!

And some weak mud behind my buddies house:

One day after hearing my buddy roll up in his lifted chevy i had to make my FJ sound mean! So i took it to a shop in San Jose and they did me right with a custom dual exhaust set up with a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler!
Before:
CIMG0016.mp4 video by LumbaJak - Photobucket
weeaaakkkk
AFTER:

CIMG0017.mp4 video by LumbaJak - Photobucket
:rocker:
haha i'm in love with the exhaust, makes it sound like a v8!

The summer after i got the exhaust done i figured it was time for me to get into serious off-road stuff! so i bought a brush guard off ebay lol we all need to learn the hard way sometimes:

After getting back in touch with a buddy from high school who has a 100 series (built to be off-roader not street queen like mine was at first) taught me the no-nos of a brush guard and said i needed real armor!
Then came the GB for the All-Pro Sliders and i had to have them!
rattle canned them myself with rustoleum:

Now i'm starting to look legit haha

My Buddy with the 100 Series recently installed an ARB on his rig and highly recommended one for the FJ. With some research on this forum and norcalfjs.com i picked up a used one from a local FJ member for dirt cheap!
she hit a cow going 55mph and only a slight dent and her insurance paid for a new one, her gain = my gain haha:

After thinking about not wanting the front end to sag with the added weight of the ARB next on the list was a lift. there are so many options so i decided to go with a good lift for a decent price but nothing over the top. And i ended up with what i think is kind of a chopped and screwed lift with Bilstein 5125 rear shocks with Toytec Springs:

and Bilstein 5100 front shocks with OME 885 Medium springs:

After many months of procrastinating on buying the bolts for the ARB i finally installed a week ago and I LOVE IT I also plasti-dipped the grill and rear bumper but didn't take any pics of them by themselves during painting:

Better safe then sorry so i pulled the trigger on some Ricochet skids (just ARB filler and engine):

Finally popped my off-road cherry and ended up with some trail damage, knew the dual exit was too good to be true! :

And thats about it!..... For now!
The Mod Bug is always lurking...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Saved

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and saved for organization if needed haha

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you lucky sob haha nice looking rig. I will get one of these one day
Thanks man! :cheers: Get one already and start building it up!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Excellent Work Maximus!! I'm just getting started along this trail (actually mine is still about 3-4 weeks away) but would really like to up the tires to 275s to start without any aggressive mods (body chops; lifts; etc). Mine will be used for a lot of driving around town; and have therefore bought the 6 year extended warrantee... If I can get away with upping the tires to look just slightly more aggressive, that will be the plan for the time being... however, who knows; might suddenly get that bug; and dis the warrantee concerns... will follow yours along for now though!

Regards,

SJ

·
Premium Member
16,938 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been a while since i've updated on here but i've added a few more things. i need to organize my OP but i'm feeling too lazy right now.

Got new shoes: Guard Dog M/T in 285-70-17

and finally wired some 7in lights:

on the list to install:
Fog lights for the ARB
Roof Light Bar
Ricochet Air Dam
Light Racing UCA's

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Lookin' Good!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
went hard with the plastidip haha

i did a hood decal, the mirrors, handles, hub caps, and taillights.
close up of hood:

and my take on doing the taillights:

i cracked my driver taillight at Fordyce Creek so i'll have to move the plastidip down to conceal my wounds haha pictures when i fix it...

on the list to install:
LR UCA's, CB radio, fog lights, folding roof light bar (might sell the hella's and get an LED bar instead i havent decided yet) that will go behind the ricochet airdam

·
Registered
310 Posts
How is the plastidip holding up? I have been thinking of getting creative with that stuff, (I just found out about it). Just wondering how it stands the test of time tho.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How is the plastidip holding up? I have been thinking of getting creative with that stuff, (I just found out about it). Just wondering how it stands the test of time tho.
well its been holding up better than some of the stock plastic trim! the handles start to wear and slightly peel due to the amount of traffic but ive had stuff dipped for months and been through many trails and it has help up impressively well. i say go for it and get creative, if you dont like it then just peel it thats what i love about it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got some used LR UCA's from a NorCal member and painted them flat white:

Installed:

im loving them and they make the FJ ride so much better than stock

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had also painted my rims black and removed the mud flaps!

Also i purchased the PRG snorkel and my FJ soon went under the knife with help from the famous NestahEdition:

i used the piece of fender i cut out as a christmas tree ornament this christmas sorry no pics this time lol

And Installed!

and just a fun picture to spread some holiday cheer even though its the end of february (this was taken right after christmas btw):

Thats all for now!
Still on the list to install: CB radio, Hella Roof lights HID'd, Retro'd Headlights, and painting of skid plates

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Looks great, keep up the good work.

Trail running is not good on dual exhaust when below the bumper or hitch huh?:rofl:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great, keep up the good work.

Trail running is not good on dual exhaust when below the bumper or hitch huh?:rofl:
haha it most definitely is not as i have smashed both of the exits now.. :boohoo:
but oh well thats what i get for trying to look fancy :lol: it has protected the bumper from getting some nice dings though

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
haha it most definitely is not as i have smashed both of the exits now.. :boohoo:
but oh well thats what i get for trying to look fancy :lol: it has protected the bumper from getting some nice dings though
:rofl::rofl:

Ya, that thing went from sounding like a V8 to a Geo Metro 4 banger

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Quite the transformation, kind of like mine. Went from being young and inexperienced with the whole offroading community, to a veteran with quite the rig, I like! And yea, i would suggest doing some sort of a high clearance exhaust. I've banged my stock exhaust pipe up pretty good, I need to pick up an all-pro exit or take the sawzall to it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts