Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

just got back from big bear, and all I can say is TOYOTA ROCKS. Everyone was really friendly, and the trail bags and goodies were great!

They even made us take pictures with Thomas' (cowboy4x4)'s rig! I'm on the right.

I ran Gold Mtn (intermediate Trail)3pm. Jacoby turned out to be the beginner run.

There were only 2 real obstacles on Gold mtn..
We had some rigs with open diffs, and they had to take the alternate trail for some. Other then that the trail was fairly easy going with some nice views.

If you are in any of these pictures, and prefer to be removed, please let me know and I'll do so.

First obstacle, was a fairly steep step of about a foot and a half to 2 feet. The open diff's and non lifted Rigs had trouble here. One Fj actually got body damage on his door from this obstacle. :( and my buddy in the 80 posted below dinged right under his rear tail light and the bumper cap.

Me and my rig

Didn't get his name, but he took his battle scar like a champ

The Alternate route wasn't much easier for the stock height fj's

The 2nd obstacle.
was a cake if you had atrac or lockers, thanks to the trail teams spotting (Rob and Collin).

However, a tacoma got a little door sill damage from here.

Can't wait to see everyone elses pics.... ESPECIALLY JOHN BULL!!

Let's SEE EM!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I had a great time this morning at the Toyota Trail Teams event in Big Bear.

I signed up for the 8 am moderate trail - Gold Mine (Trail).

We all had a great time.

Here is a shot of me heading up a tricky obstacle, getting a spot from Rob, our trail boss (Toyota Trail Teams)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Volhoo,

I flashed my highbeams at you, while you were coming down the mountain, I was going up for my run at 3pm!

Rig looks sharp.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Volhoo,

I flashed my highbeams at you, while you were coming down the mountain, I was going up for my run at 3pm!

Rig looks sharp.:bigthumb:
Thanks man - yeah I saw you coming up.

Great day - great event - :bigthumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey if anyone has pictures of the beginner run, I would love to see them. Being on the trail spotting, I didn't have time to take any. Thanks

8:00, 11:00 and 2:00 specifically, but I would love to see everyone's!

K. Cooke
2008 Toyota Trail Teams
Assistant Driver

·
Registered
240 Posts
Very Nice, Thanks for the pics! I can't wait to do this run tomorrow! Thanks for postin the Gold Mountain on the other... now I know what I'm in for! Whew! pucker will be high on that one obstacle It looks like if he took it a little more to the right he'd been fine, is that right?

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yea, I think the line was a little off, and the approach was a little fast... Just take it slow there and you should be fine!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I only have a few pics. I know GTKRockeTT had quite a few pics though. I'm sure we'll see them once he's rested. :)

mbisson approaching the first obstacle.

Running through the pines

CADavebert's tire. Foreshadowing of things to come a few min. later?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very Nice, Thanks for the pics! I can't wait to do this run tomorrow! Thanks for postin the Gold Mountain on the other... now I know what I'm in for! Whew! pucker will be high on that one obstacle It looks like if he took it a little more to the right he'd been fine, is that right?
Actually I think he shoulda gone a little more left, going right, his right side went up on the rocks causing his left side to droop down and his suspension compressed a little too much, and thats when he hit. Just follow the spotter and you should be good.:bigthumb:

He might be on this forum, so hopefully he can explain better.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only have a few pics. I know GTKRockeTT had quite a few pics though. I'm sure we'll see them once he's rested. :)
Nice Pics Tony.

Wish I ran with you guys, our group, including the lead trail team Tacoma, didn't have any cb's even, so it was a bit quiet.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Actually I think he shoulda gone a little more left, going right, his right side went up on the rocks causing his left side to droop down and his suspension compressed a little too much, and thats when he hit. Just follow the spotter and you should be good.:bigthumb:

He might be on this forum, so hopefully he can explain better.
Ah, Second thought, I see your point. I will say one thing about my driving with a spotter, I AM A ROBOT! I don't second guess and my actions are instant. If the spotter says jump, I'll ask how high after I'm in the air. lol The spotters in my opinion are what really make possible carnage non existant, as long as you follow their signals EXACTLY! We'll I'm sure there are some exceptions to that but you know what I'm sayin right?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Our run had quite a few familiar faces! The CBs were ok. The tailgunner's CB sounded like a voice box though... A bit creepy. :lol: It was great to share a table with friends at the convention center. Met Boboso and ZenMoto for the first time. :)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Yikes, forum ghost strikes again!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice pics guys. I hope to get some video of the Sunday 11:00am John Bull run. I will be trying out my new dash mounted cam:)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nice pics guys. I hope to get some video of the Sunday 11:00am John Bull run. I will be trying out my new dash mounted cam:)
Let me guess. Sky, dirt, rock, sky? :lol: I'm looking forward to it! :)

ps. let us hear the engine!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah, Second thought, I see your point. I will say one thing about my driving with a spotter, I AM A ROBOT! I don't second guess and my actions are instant. If the spotter says jump, I'll ask how high after I'm in the air. lol The spotters in my opinion are what really make possible carnage non existant, as long as you follow their signals EXACTLY! We'll I'm sure there are some exceptions to that but you know what I'm sayin right?
Yea Definitely, sometimes what the spotter tells u to do, feels unnatural, but they can see whats really going on so you just gotta trust em.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
It's a good idea to take walk and see it for yourself before you hop into the FJ. You'll gain more understand of why the spotter told to you do what they told you to do. Makes you more comfortable too.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Ok, here's a few picts from John Bull - Not the section that the trail teams run, they could not do the whole John Bull trail due to time limitations (had to be back for the next group) So they were running the trail up to John Bull, which still had some good parts. Me, Demello, and two others split off at the begining of the real John bull and ran the rest of the trail (took 4 hours, which is why the trail teams could not do it) Had a great time there, and the trail teams did a great job with the whole event, it's probably one of the best run events and nicest I've been to in awhile.. and the badge rocks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
4 Hours.... Jon B, Dustpark, Marty, and myself did the entire Bull loop 2.5 hours east to west. Following JB's SAS FJ is a true joy. Thanks to Toyota for a great day

1 - 20 of 23 Posts