Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my wife and son for a run at McLean Creek on Thursday 31st, if anyone wants to meet up and do some trails. I expect to be there @ 12:00 ish. I've never been there before and my FJ is stock so it should be all ****s and giggles trying not to destroy my truck. Anyone interested let me know.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well although no one else wanted to come along, it turned out to be an awesome day. Lots of mud and water, with a few rock climbs thrown in. We got there at about 1, after stopping for some scoff on the way. The sun was shining and I had a full tank of gas. Although I had never been to that area before and only been off road once with my JF I managed to find my way around 42km of trails a with no problems. That is until I had to turn around. I headed along a nice wide trail I found called McLean Trail. The map said it lead to an access road that would take me back to the entrance to the OHV area. Things started out fine, spent the first 2 km avoiding pot holes and tree stumps. The clearance in a stock FJ was impressing me over and over as the stumps and ruts go bigger. we made it to within 300m of the access road when the trail became impassable due to rocks and dead fall and without a winch I was not willing to risk getting hung up. So after executing a 27 point turn on a trail no wider than 15 ft I headed back the way I came. Just prior to the tun around I had passed through this....

Two hours later after lots of digging, some swearing :flame: and quick snack some more digging and swearing :flame: and a lot of pushing from a group of bikers that happened to pass by I made it to the other side. :clap::clap::clap:

The FJ never once bottomed out in the mud though. And I had already passed though that same hole about 30 mins prior to getting stuck with no problems. Fortunately I had packed a shovel and a pair of water proof boots for just such an occasion. I have to say though that although I did most of the digging and swearing that I owe my eventual freedom and safe return home to the friendly dirt bikers that happened along. All be it they had no idea how to move the FJ, but they had the brawn I needed to get me the last few feet to dry land. Before they arrived I was looking at a 6 km walk through the bush to find help. it was 8pm by the time I was free. Many things went through my mind about how to free the FJ while I was digging, like I could do with a winch, But there was no trees to hook up to anyway. I need another truck to pull me out, but there was no way another truck to get in front of me to pull me out. I was getting worried I would have to leave the truck and walk, only to returned tomorrow to find a burn out hulk after to crackheads had had their way with it. But the main thing that went through my head was. GET SOME MUD TIRES NEXT TIME STUPID!!!

My wife, through all this helped a lot by collecting rocks for me to put under the wheels, and my son spent the time playing in the mud and trying to eat grasshoppers.

Some more images of the aftermath.

the inside

and me after cleaning up a bit.

I could not get the camera out while I was stuck as I did not want to get mud all over the back seat, so there are no pix of just how covered in mud I actually was. All that said though I had a lot of fun no one got hurt and we all returned home safe and sound. On the trip home I explained the virtues of mud tires to my wife and today I going shopping after I have cleaned the car.

A wee video of some of the days events.

YouTube - mclean creek in my FJ

:wave:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts