Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Hey folks -

Anyone with any independent mechanics or dealers on:

East Side
North (Everett, Muk, etc).

Thanks for any referals.

Bob
What are looking to have done? I know several but it really depends on what you want.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have to have warranty work done on your FJ "Rodland of Everett" is known to be reasonable towards offroaders with modded vehicles (hope that isn't your issue). Maybe out of your way but I have used "KC Martin" in Lynnwood a couple times over the years. Straight forward, been there forever, full service of domestic and asian. Not sure if they address european stuff. As Amain said if you want more recomendations let us know more about your needs. Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll echo Shiro's comments. I took my previous vehicle, a 4Runner, to Rodland Toyota for years, for all types of service. They seemed to be fairly-priced for a dealership, although you are paying a premium for dealership work.

There were a couple of occasions when I took my rig in for a minor service and they would tell me that I needed to keep an eye on this fluid level or that I might need my brakes looked at the next time I come in. It felt like they were being comprehensive in looking at things beyond the scope of the specific service I was in for, but they weren't looking to overcharge me by getting me to have more fixed than I came in for, if that makes sense.

I have one knock against Rodland. After buying my current vehicle (a used 2007 FJ), I went to Rodland hoping to have an OEM skid plate purchased and installed. Their parts guy said the part was no longer available (the 2010 skid plate is apparently different and not backwards-compatible with 2007-2009 FJs). He suggested that I get on the internet and contact Toyota dealerships in the southern US that might still have that part in their inventory. However, I took my rig in to Michael's Toyota in Bellevue not soon thereafter, and they were able to order and install that part. On the plus side for Rodland, I had my FJ there for its 30,000-mile service, and they put on my cargo cover (which was sitting in the box, in the cargo compartment) gratis since I was having a major service done there.

My rig's Achilles heel was the cooling system, and I went through 3 radiators in the 10 years that I owned it. The second one cost somewhere around $700 at Rodland. On the third one, I went to KC Martin and got it done for around $400. On another occasion when I overheated the transmission fluid while attempting to go over the pass with a full load on the hottest day of the year, I took my rig in to KC Martin (they have 2 locations in Lynnwood, KC Martin Service and KC Martin Transmission), and one of the service guys looked it over and explained in layman's terms what had happened in the transmission. No damage was done, and the consultation was at no charge, so it also feels like a place that isn't out to take your money.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm coming up on 30k miles in the next month or so and figure it's due for a standard services...fluids, etc.

I'm a bit anxious about doing the lubricants myself...can't imagine the pain in the ass should I strip a thread or something.

I've only had the truck since last summer (bought off lease) so I'd like to get the differential fluids done, engine, etc...nothing major.

Maybe I ought just tackle it myself based on the 'how to' messages on the forum. Figured it might be worth a couple of hundred bucks to have a mechanic do it, but then again...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Here's the checklist for a 30k service on a '07: Toyota Parts and Service

The diffs and engine oil are easy. If you're already on the fence, save yourself the money and do it yourself, you'll also get familiar with things a little better.

You'll just need a couple washers/gaskets from the dealership (maybe $15), a pump/piece of hose and the fluids themselves, which you can get anywhere.

Grease all the zerk fittings while you're under there, you'll need a grease gun and grease. Harbor Freight in Everett has the gun cheap (it's just a plain jane grease gun) and the grease you can get at any auto parts store while you're picking up gear/engine oil.

Do some searches on here if you need help, or just ask, there's plenty of help to be had around these parts. Hell, I'm just down the road from you, we can grab a beer at Diamond Knot (my favorite bewery) and knock it out in about an hour. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Here's the checklist for a 30k service on a '07: Toyota Parts and Service

The diffs and engine oil are easy. If you're already on the fence, save yourself the money and do it yourself, you'll also get familiar with things a little better.

You'll just need a couple washers/gaskets from the dealership (maybe $15), a pump/piece of hose and the fluids themselves, which you can get anywhere.

Grease all the zerk fittings while you're under there, you'll need a grease gun and grease. Harbor Freight in Everett has the gun cheap (it's just a plain jane grease gun) and the grease you can get at any auto parts store while you're picking up gear/engine oil.

Do some searches on here if you need help, or just ask, there's plenty of help to be had around these parts. Hell, I'm just down the road from you, we can grab a beer at Diamond Knot (my favorite bewery) and knock it out in about an hour. :)
OK, if Diamond Knot is included, I'm in! Or we can knock it out in my driveway and then head to Fred's in Snoho. ;)

But do yourself a favor and avoid Horror Freight. I've never had much luck (beyond a single use or two) with most any tool I've purchased there. Perhaps I am just accursed. Anyway, the I've had good luck with Lincoln pistol grease guns (model 1134; available via Amazon) as well as the Lucas pistol gun at your neighborhood Home Depot.

Re: lubing your drive ("propeller") shafts, note that the manual does specify different grease for u-joints and slip joints. This starts to sound a little complicated but really isn't. Anyway, there are folk here ready and willing to help -- on-line or in person.

-- Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Though I've already had my 30k taken care of by the dealership, I'd be interested in seeing it done in person in order to get to know the ins and outs of the FJ better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A. Fred's is trying to kill me either coronary or liver disease but I LOVE it sooooo much. That place is exactly what an ale house should be.

B. You guys got me on board. Tooled up with the last couple of things I needed and am getting ready to place an amsoil order for lubes.

Their Racing Grease reads to spec and has good reviews but I haven't found a Moly enhanced grease online that looks like it works. Any recommends?

·
Registered
692 Posts
A. Fred's is trying to kill me either coronary or liver disease but I LOVE it sooooo much. That place is exactly what an ale house should be.
:cheers:

B. You guys got me on board. Tooled up with the last couple of things I needed and am getting ready to place an amsoil order for lubes.

Their Racing Grease reads to spec and has good reviews but I haven't found a Moly enhanced grease online that looks like it works. Any recommends?
Sticking with Amsoil, I've used their Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease, Extreme Pressure, NLGI #2 (GLC) for non-moly applications.

There's an NLGI #2 variant of their Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease (GPOR2) with 5% moly content. But this I have not used personally.

-- Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts