Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 08 fj with 67,000k on it. I drove it home from the dealership after test driving it a few times. Went to work and after it sat in the 20 degree cold 6 hours it wouldnt start. I jumped it and it started up. Every time since then that it sits for a while and cools down in our alaskan 20-30 degree weather it has trouble starting. If it's warm from being driven or its been plugged in at night it starts fine. I've had the battery tested and its fine. The alternator seems fine as when its running I can unplug the positive cord and everything stays the same.

When I turn the key after it's been sitting overnight nothing at all happens, the lights stay on bright, the radio works fine but the key does nothing but usually if i try it two or 3 times it then starts up just fine like nothing is wrong. I'm not a mechanical person at all and I doubt it's an FJ specific problem but I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone had any thoughts or ideas. Any comments would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
12,951 Posts
Could be the ignition tumbler is worn.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Starter/solenoid, maybe even just dirty/loose terminals on the starter. My money is on the solenoid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the starter or ignition tumbler things that are affected by being cold as that seems to be the only time it has problems?

·
Premium Member
12,951 Posts
The tumbler is where you insert your ignition key, one of the causes for failure is having a heavy key ring(lots of keys, trinket etc).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tumbler is where you insert your ignition key, one of the causes for failure is having a heavy key ring(lots of keys, trinket etc).
well it's only got the one key right now so I don't think thats doing it

·
Admin
7,666 Posts
Some shops don't load test your battery properly either. Have them test it a few times in a row. This test is free of course.
Next step... I'm with the guys saying starter.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
This should be done before doing anything else.... Remove and clean both positive and negative battery clamps and clean the battery posts, you cannot check the condition from only looking, you have to remove the clamps. You could have enough current for normal radio operation but not to turn over the starter, and the colder temps will make things worse. Free to do and could be the problem.

·
Admin
7,666 Posts
Yes! That's the very first thing to do!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This should be done before doing anything else.... Remove and clean both positive and negative battery clamps and clean the battery posts, you cannot check the condition from only looking, you have to remove the clamps. You could have enough current for normal radio operation but not to turn over the starter, and the colder temps will make things worse. Free to do and could be the problem.
The battery terminals look brand new, I took the battery off already and they didn't look dirty or corroded or anything but I'll check again. It seems weird that after 2 or 3 tries the car will start fine like nothings wrong

·
Admin
7,666 Posts
Hell, you could see if a buddy could swap batteries with you for a few days too....

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
The battery terminals look brand new, I took the battery off already and they didn't look dirty or corroded or anything but I'll check again. It seems weird that after 2 or 3 tries the car will start fine like nothings wrong
After confirming good battery connections I would check the wiring and ground cable connections especially if there has been aftermarket wiring to a second battery or winch. When it doesn't start do you hear any sound at all such as single or rapid clicking ?? If all checks are good as suggested earlier it sounds like you may be having starter selinoid trouble.
:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts