Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

I recently had the auto transmission rebuilt in my 07 FJ. Since then I have noticed a whining sound that becomes more audible as the RPMs climb (didn't notice sound before). Could this be a symptom of something from the rebuild? Or am I now just hyper sensitive to sounds and it is just a pulley or something?

Input or advice is appreciated. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Is it possible to shoot a short video where the sound can be heard? Maybe some of the more mechanical members may be able to give you some guidance if they can hear it.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would guess idler pulley. Having replaced them multiple times, I can tell you that it does sound like a mechanical whining sound sometimes when they go bad. It is usually the pulley next to the alternator that is the culprit. I would start the search there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses so far!
@mikey- One would assume the shop filled the trans with the proper amount of fluid. But,we all know what happens when you assume...
@FatJohnson- I can try at lunch today. Hopefully my phone can pick it up.
@IRVingzisman- I came across that in some searching I did- could be. It sounds more toward the back end of the motor/trans area but its hard to pinpoint the sound while driving since, ya know, trying to watch the road and all that.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far!
@mikey- One would assume the shop filled the trans with the proper amount of fluid. But,we all know what happens when you assume...
@FatJohnson- I can try at lunch today. Hopefully my phone can pick it up.
@IRVingzisman- I came across that in some searching I did- could be. It sounds more toward the back end of the motor/trans area but its hard to pinpoint the sound while driving since, ya know, trying to watch the road and all that.
I had an idler pulley that was making that sound and I though for sure it was either the trans or transfer case. Eventually I narrowed it down to under the hood. With the vehicle in park, rev the engine. If you can still hear it, then its most likely the pulley. The pulleys are only about $17 on rock auto, so hopefully thats all it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had an idler pulley that was making that sound and I though for sure it was either the trans or transfer case. Eventually I narrowed it down to under the hood. With the vehicle in park, rev the engine. If you can still hear it, then its most likely the pulley. The pulleys are only about $17 on rock auto, so hopefully thats all it is.
Ah, good call. I'll try that. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would take the others suggestions and check the trans fluid level.
Here is a .pdf on how to do it.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/attachments/transmissions-transfer-cases-traction-aids/72659d1365171010-how-do-you-check-tranny-fluid-trans-fill-procedure.pdf

And that sucks. I was really hoping it would have been something easy like a pulley :(

Good luck
You and me both. Guess it's time to check fluid levels. Would be quite disappointing to find low fluid after just getting it back from the shop.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
You and me both. Guess it's time to check fluid levels. Would be quite disappointing to find low fluid after just getting it back from the shop.
To immediately eliminate any of the serpentine belt pulleys, alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor clutch bearings, etc., simply remove the serpentine belt and run the engine at the same conditions where you hear the whine (in DRIVE, 1500 RPM, etc.) for 30 seconds or so, just long enough to determine if the whine is present or not.

If not, reinstall the belt, and use a cheap mechanic's stethescope (or piece of 1/4" dia plastic tubing, or even a long 3/8" wooden dowel) to probe pulleys, alternator, etc. to locate the noise source.

But first, check transmission oil level AT THE CORRECT FLUID TEMPERATURE.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To bring this thread full circle- I took my Fj back to the shop that did the rebuild of my transmission to have them investigate. They acknowledged the sound is present when shifting from Park to Drive. Turns out the sound was coming from the torque converter and it is being replaced.

Thanks to all who provided input!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
To bring this thread full circle- I took my Fj back to the shop that did the rebuild of my transmission to have them investigate. They acknowledged the sound is present when shifting from Park to Drive. Turns out the sound was coming from the torque converter and it is being replaced.

Thanks to all who provided input!
Glad the problem was found. Hopefully its being fixed on their dime?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts