Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I hate to bring this up, but in this day and age what are the legal ramifications of providing first aid? especially if you have all this stuff that you might not know how to use and perhaps used in a wrong way?

I have a standard cuts and bruise kit and eye wash (most people forget about this one). Should I have a more serious kit elsewhere in the rig only for immediate family and friends?

T

·
Registered
87 Posts
you are covered by the good samaritan law. as long as you act in a way that a reasonable person would with your level of training and experience would, you are not held liable. now if you are an average lay person and try to do surgery on someone and they get septic and die, that is a whole different can of worms. stick to what you are trained to do and you should have no problems. also, there is no legal duty to act.

ps i am not an attorney but this is what i have been taught in all my prehospital medical training.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I agree with semper yet would like to add something that I have run into in the past. Working under a liscense is a funny thing, for example if a service memmber and a civilian get in an accident. For the service member I can for example put in a chest tube and for the civilian I can only stop the bleeding and get them to a hospital. Though that is not such a bad thing most injuries that are serious you would want to get to the hospital immediately during what is know the golden hour. Out in the wildrness though within the states where most thing happen you will not be too far from definitative care. Serious kits would be highly recommended when you are expeditions and know that you will be away from 1. either a ground evac to a hospital or availability of an air evac asset.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts