Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, you read it right! I managed to melt a part of the charcoal canister and one of the hoses. Needless to say my dash is like a Christmas Tree right now.

After I got my aFe high tuck all installed, I noticed a little rattle. To get rid of the rattle I played with the gromets a bit to get the exhaust of the frame of the body, putting it close to the charcoal canister.

So when the lights came on and the battery disconnect didn't work, I swung on down to Toyota. My buddy there showed me what I had done and it wasn't the prettiest of things.

Long story short, I'm in the market for a new Charcoal Canister and vapor hose. My buddy at the dealership told me that if I could get the parts, he would let me do the work afterhours on a hydraulic lift! Gotta love the silver lining. It looks like a pretty quick install, 3 bolts and a couple of quick releases on the hose and I'll save about $200-300 in labor costs.

Here are some pics...don't mind the "Southern Engineering." The tech told me that I should be alright for a quick fix.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yup, it's going to be about $350 for the canister and the hose.

And FYI, there really is charcoal in there.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Matchlight or regular kingsford?

That sucks though. When i installed mine i noticed it was rubbing on the frame as well so i had to make some adjustments. Now you are making me want to go check out this little part.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matchlight or regular kingsford?

That sucks though. When i installed mine i noticed it was rubbing on the frame as well so i had to make some adjustments. Now you are making me want to go check out this little part.
Mesquite actually...that's why my rig smells so good...

Yeah it'd be a good idea.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm still puzzled why they didn't mount the canister closer to the driver's side. There isn't really anything over there but a few inch gap.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
I want it known that my only part in this install was to bolt up the front flange on the exhaust.
That would be the part that makes it sit further back or closer up. So, you are the culprit and responsible. Hmm, good to know.

:lol:
Just kidding.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want it known that my only part in this install was to bolt up the front flange on the exhaust.
I blame no one but myself......and Fingas......and awilson.....and FJNewb....and 5x5!:rofl:

Like I said that silver lining is that I get to install the new canister using their hydraulic lift, tools, and with the aid of some of Toyota's finest techs.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
I blame no one but myself......and Fingas......and awilson.....and FJNewb....and 5x5!:rofl:

Like I said that silver lining is that I get to install the new canister using their hydraulic lift, tools, and with the aid of some of Toyota's finest techs.
Did you get a chance to contact AFE about the exhaust? If so what did they have to say? Seemed like something was off on their hanger locations or during the mandrel bending process. Did you have any luck getting the last band to clamp down on the axle back portion?

Sorry to hear about the canister. Definetly bring it up with AFE, maybe they'd cover the cost.

·
Premium Member
17,641 Posts
Careful with the heat wrap. Make sure you read up on how to apply it. I've seen several people do it incorrectly which allows moisture to get trapped in and causes the steel to rust out. Especially if your offroading in wet environments.

Probably should be brought up with AFE since it appears to be a problem with several peoples exhausts.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Careful with the heat wrap. Make sure you read up on how to apply it. I've seen several people do it incorrectly which allows moisture to get trapped in and causes the steel to rust out. Especially if your offroading in wet environments.

Probably should be brought up with AFE since it appears to be a problem with several peoples exhausts.
I didn't end up contacting aFe regarding the last section, once the pipe heated up it all fused together, it was cold that day and the pipe expanded after I drove around for a bit.

As for getting the exhaust to hang right, I'm going to have to bend a couple of the hangers a little bit and it should be fine.

I'll be avoiding puddles and anything offroad until this gets fixed.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Damn Poppa, glad that was caught sooner rather than later.

This is correct.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i actually was going to try and fix my exhaust problem today... glad i came on here first cause now i know what to watch for.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn Poppa, glad that was caught sooner rather than later.
Thanks man...I just went and checked everything out again and the high tuck peice is loose again.

I've emailed aFe about all the problems, let's see what they say.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks man...I just went and checked everything out again and the high tuck peice is loose again.

I've emailed aFe about all the problems, let's see what they say.
I'm curious to see what they say. Seemed like their jig was off on something.

To all other High-Tuck owners: Does/did yours hit the frame crossmember above the rear axle? Did all of your slip fits clamp tight?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts