Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
December 2018 Member of the Month: FJ BRUZER

We'd like to congratulate FJ BRUZER – Gary for being selected as the December 2018 Member of the Month!

Hayden: Tell us a bit about yourself (Family/pets, work/school, hobbies/interests, location, etc.)

Gary : I’m 59 years young, born in Munich, Germany (Army Brat), married to a saint of a women (she puts up with me) – Home base is Cincinnati area, but I travel a ton for work (back to the married to a saint thing) as a Piping/Mechanical Field Engineer , have two dogs that we got from Rescues (always have and always will) – interests are travel, meeting new people, BBQ, Bacon, and just starting to appreciate fine bourbons.

Hayden: How did you come to own an FJ Cruiser? Is the FJ Cruiser your first off-road vehicle? If not, what was the first vehicle you took wheeling?

Gary : We were out @ Costco one day and drove by the Toyota dealer, wife actually saw it and said that looks like something you’d like – so I contacted their internet dept and worked a deal before ever setting foot inside the dealership. I have owned a 1998 TJ previously that was also modified and my 1st “wheeling” vehicle was a Full size Chevy blazer with 40 inch monster Mudders, got it stuck first time out.

Hayden: How/when were you first introduced to the forum and what made you decide to join?

Gary : I had previously been on the Honda Element Forum as a member and also the Nissan Cube Forum. I looked for a Forum and came across this one and the 1st weekend I owned mine, the Cincinnati group was having a meet-up, so I went – the rest is history.

Hayden: What modification is your favorite or is the most worth the money/time/effort that you’d recommend it to someone else?

Gary : SLIDERS of any kind – 1st time out I didn’t have them and ending up smacking the side of a tree on a hill climb – just damage the passenger mirror, but the next day, sliders were on order.

Hayden: What upgrade is your least favorite, or what modification would you do differently if you had to do it over again?

Gary : My least favorite is the rear door storage net – I’d rethink and do the MOLLE panel.

Hayden: What has been your favorite thing about owning an FJ Cruiser?

Gary : Being incognito……….actually being able to go wherever I want, the FJ has proven itself well.

Hayden: Has anyone on the forum inspired your build or been a go-to resource for you?

Gary : Can’t say any ONE person, the community as a whole is a great resource, I did follow Old Cruiser, Weavin FJ, Mad Mike and still follow Iconic and debFJVT among others.

Hayden: Where all have you been with your FJC? What trail/park/location is your favorite?

Gary : I have to say on a whole, the state of Arizona was my favorite, I made the smart choice of driving it out there for an assignment I had this year. Badlands in Indiana is good, and The old Superlift offroad park in Arkansas was also very nice.

Hayden: Is there a trail/park/location you haven’t visited yet that you would like to take your FJ to someday?

Gary : I keep hoping to get out to Summit, but work always gets in the way, also the Appalachian Round-up. Getting back out to Arizona

Hayden: Ever brush shoulders with any FJ owners from overseas?[/ COLOR]

Gary : I did run into an FJ owner on my Switzerland assignment, he stated it was expensive to get it licensed and imported, but was proud he was only one of a few in the country

Hayden: What has been the most memorable experience with your FJ Cruiser?

Gary : Sedona………………simply spectacular.

Hayden: What do you enjoy the most about the FJCrusierForums?

Gary : one stop source for information about the FJ – the friendliness of the members make the forum a welcoming place

Hayden: What has the FJCruiserForums done for you and what do you feel you contribute to the forum the most?

Gary : It has made me more willing to try different mods – honestly, I take way more from the forum than I give.

Hayden: In a world without new FJ Cruisers being built, do you plan on keeping yours forever or upgrading to a newer model ever?

Gary : That is a trick question – I have no plans to get rid of her, but someone somewhere someday may build something else I’d want to drive.

Hayden: What do you expect to be in your FJs future build-wise/travel-wise/etc?

Gary : Upgrade suspension components as the original is getting to the 75K mark, led interior lighting

Hayden: What final advice do you have for someone new to the FJ Cruiser or the Forum?

Gary : Don’t be afraid to ask questions

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMFWN5uvnAQIh_qVHmI7zJpOT8SjP4y-qGutGerHEEQrsZRLBivzhM28-NlgphRgw?key=blg5ajdMT3YzZnp4aVdPTU1oQlRXLXE5ZDZOX3p3

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO9JoEyixZ3Wvnu9vQwXA7bxqJPQXfcxA2iKMxvIkiTrQLCkjD7f5T0WbsOhdOBFw?key=YnBPM1l0TmJsMWtOS2JFU29ST0pyZHNZUDNPVW9n

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Congratulations! :cheers:

Reactions: FJ BRUZER

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Congrats on your selection and a bad-ass FJ!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Congratulations, NICE FJ!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thanks All - I didn't send Hayden a picture of my garage mod as we've SOLD that house and it doesn't apply any more
As for the clean FJ - I went back and looked for a dirty picture (of the FJ) and couldn't find one, even when there was a little mud splatter, it was still shining!
See next post for a picture

1 - 20 of 32 Posts