41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Congratulations! Awesome rig you built! :cheers:

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Congratulations! My favorite FJ out there. LGRT as been a tremendous inspiration and resource for my time owning my FJ. (BTW, i'm the guy who ask the question and you ended up making the Long Travel on Big Rocks video :D) Thank you for all your contribution to the community!

Thank you!!! and that was a brilliant idea for a short little video I hope you liked it... if you have more great ideas let me know :)

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Congratulations! Thank you for the wealth of information that I have learned about my rig from your videos. I love watching the tips and the trips cannot wait to see more!
Really glad to have helped... I can't wait for more too... now if life will just get out of the way so I can enjoy my addiction :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Man, you really do have one badass rig. Love the channel and videos too btw... congrats!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
@lgrt

How do you like your MetalTech tube bumper? I'm really interested in buying the exact one you have (or having a knock-off fabricated). Anything about it you'd change?

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I really like the Metal Tech tube bumper. it has been on our truck for about 9 years now. I originally ran the ARB shell style bull bar for the first few years. The ARB is a solid bumper but changing over to the Metal Tech tube bumper improved the approach angle and significantly reduced the weight on the front end. Additionally because the winch sits inside the ARB bumper shell, controls are much less accessible and winding the rope back onto the spool (after recovery) is a bit more difficult.

The thing I like most about their tube bumper is that is performs its intended function well while keeping the weight to a minimum. (I'm big on not adding more weight than absolutely necessary) The separation of the winch mount from the bumper is also very nice allowing you to easily install bumper and add a winch later if needed. (I also like the look of the bash plate if a winch mount is not needed)

Personally I would avoid going with a knock off. Replicating the looks are one thing, but I've talked with Mark a lot over the years and the engineering that has gone into Metal Tech's bumper is pretty impressive. The design is well thought out for both form and function, and they stand behind their products.

Funny thing is when their tube bumper first came out (shortly after I purchased the ARB in late 2006) the looks did not appeal to me that much but later (and still) I think it is one of the most complementary bumpers to the front lines of the FJ Cruiser and I can't picture my truck without it.

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I really like the Metal Tech tube bumper. it has been on our truck for about 9 years now. I originally ran the ARB shell style bull bar for the first few years. The ARB is a solid bumper but changing over to the Metal Tech tube bumper improved the approach angle and significantly reduced the weight on the front end.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the thorough response. These are all things I've considered with this bumper, especially the significant weight difference between this and other aftermarket bumpers, the improved approach, and the accessibility of the winch. It's nice to have them confirmed by someone who actually has the thing.

I'm wary about having someone else (even someone experienced at making off-road steel-tube bumpers) fabricate a replica for the reasons you mentioned. I'm sold on MetalTech's quality. I wanted to avoid the $250 shipping, but I'm still thinking I'll save in the long run.

Thanks again for the recommendation!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I wanted to avoid the $250 shipping
the cost of shipping steel is always a hard nut to swallow... $250 will buy a lot of fuel for a road trip to Newberg :)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts