Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just talked to Mark and apparently they're about to roll out their very first front bumper group buy! He said it should begin on or around Jan-04 and will be build-to-order. As you all know, they fab their product in small batches in-house and that's just the price you pay for the quality.

They are thinking there'll be a nice discount on the bumper -- bash or winch -- and probably on some accessories as well.

I've been wanting one for a long time, so the GB was a nice surprise. I figure some of you might be in the same boat. If you are into tubes, it's arguably the strongest and best looking out there IMO.

Anyway, a good way to kick off the year. :cheers:

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was willing to pay full price -- the retail $950 was worth it for me -- so I'll be happy to see any discount.

You have to keep in mind they use high-quality DOM tubing, the same stuff they make roll cages out of.

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm SURE if you are real nice and explain it to Aluminess they'd take it back for a full refund...

Funny you mention them. I was interested in a custom fab and couldn't have gotten an email or telephone response from them even if my life had depended upon it. Finally when they did I didn't. Bad customer service.

Hell, Mark answered at the shop the day before New Year's Eve!

We all know this, but that really does separate the good vendors from the careless ones. If you have to give a chunk of change away it feels a lot better when it is to good folks that care about their products. Toytec is squared away like that, too.

Anyway, I can't wait to get the bumper. Now I have to decide how I'll modify my front Rasta skid...

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am definitely interested! I was just looking at giving them a call the other day!
Mark said it'd go for about a month, and to just wait a few days for it --

Heck, even if they knock at least $200 off of the bumper and PIAA's that'd be good enough for me. :clap:

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I'm SURE if you are real nice and explain it to Aluminess they'd take it back for a full refund...

Funny you mention them. I was interested in a custom fab and couldn't have gotten an email or telephone response from them even if my life had depended upon it. Finally when they did I didn't. Bad customer service.
I actually went with Aluminess over Metal Tech based on their willingness to make some modifications. However; my experience was that both companies responded promptly when I made my inquiries, and my subsequent dealings with Aluminess have been fine as well. It is possible you caught them at a bad time.

Shawn

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is possible you caught them at a bad time.

Shawn
That's entirely possible. I was actually surprised as I had heard good things about them. Well, it worked out fine in the end.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
what about the rear bumpers

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what about the rear bumpers
From what I was told, the GB will only be for the front bumper (bash or winch) and probably PIAA's if you want them.

I didn't know this, but the bash plate is now coming in black which is pretty cool. I was thinking I'd have to get it coated myself.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Metal Tech - makes great stuff.
Coming up for 3 years, powder coating holding up. One of the first ones they made. Excellent workmanship.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have one along with their sliders and they are both awesome and holding up really well. Plus Mark is a great guy!! Hopefully, they will have a group buy on the tube doors, but since not a high demand product I doubt it. Great company though!!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
This is good news.. I've been debating on getting one and if the price is right it looks like I'll be getting a late Christmas present for myself..

·
Registered
132 Posts
i have allther ther fj product all great stuff and strong ! great poweder coating and he deff hooked us military guys up!!!!

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was putting off buying a bumper until I saw the MT on a rig up in the mountains, and that was that.

Weight isn't obviously a huge issue, but I like the idea of keeping it down as much as possible while maintaining maximum strength -- so it fits my needs.

Light, strong, looks good, and will accept a *removable* winch mount in lieu of the bash plate. Hell, it doesn't get any better than that.

There are some really nice plate bumpers out there -- especially by Expedition One -- but I just couldn't justify the extra weight penalty for the same functionality.

Now we just have to wait for them to ship...:boohoo:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Any idea if they're offering the rear bumper as part of the GB? Got dinged (hit and run) on the 26th and would like to get an MT bumper to replace the stocker.

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to hear that about the bumper. I don't mind bashing up my own truck, but someone doing it for me is another story --

As far as I know the group buy will only be for the front bumper and maybe the matching PIAA 520's it was built around. If they are going to add a rear bumper into the mix, I don't anything about it.

Of course, I didn't ask, either. I don't know Mark and LT personally, I just called in to place an order and they told me about it.

They should have the GB posted on the 4th, so we'll see what they've finalized then...

I wouldn't mind getting a rear, too, but until I damage the stocker it's staying on. Then again, if it was offered I might bite on it, too.

Where does the madness end???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts