Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Looking for more in depth info on Metal Tech's Phantom front bumper. Detailed info on just what and where needs to be cut/altered from factory during installation. Pics from multiple angles showing clearances, gaps, fit to body and inside wheel wells, etc.

Thanks in advance!

A.W.D.

·
Registered
2007 Silver FJ ~130k
137 Posts
You might look at the Hefty Fabworks aluminum front bumper. I just installed one on my FJ. Very easy to do. Only weighs 45# and the net increase in weight after removing the old bumper is only 16#.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might look at the Hefty Fabworks aluminum front bumper. I just installed one on my FJ. Very easy to do. Only weighs 45# and the net increase in weight after removing the old bumper is only 16#.
Thanks for the reply, and yes - I have looked at those.

Kinda' stuck on MT's Phantom after going back and forth and back again on all the plate style bumpers still available. That's the one I keep coming back to that seems to address the fit, style and weight-to-strength balance I'm after.

The 'ole '07 FJ needs a bit of refreshing, though still very clean and runs like a top. Gotta' finally get that front end protection done.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
2007 Silver FJ ~130k
137 Posts
The 'ole '07 FJ needs a bit of refreshing, though still very clean and runs like a top. Gotta' finally get that front end protection done.
I agree about the refreshing. I felt like my silver '07 needed a facelift too. That is why I did the front bumper and some other mods. Mods are a lot cheaper than a new vehicle.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree about the refreshing. I felt like my silver '07 needed a facelift too. That is why I did the front bumper and some other mods. Mods are a lot cheaper than a new vehicle.
Yeah, I reckon the aftermarket parts industry along with general vehicle and maintenance industries are seeing pretty good business right now. As you say, and I've been telling myself, fixing up or refreshing an older ride that's in good shape otherwise is way cheaper than a new vehicle.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Bump"

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Phantom Front Bumper Installation Guide (metaltech4x4.com)

I think the price of this bumper is outrageous.
Yeah, they're expensive...

I've seen the install guide and another thread in this sub-forum with the install.
Just not quite sure of the fit from what I've seen and hoping for more pics from different angles as well as more info on the cutting and trimming necessary.

Been looking at this bumper since they came out - many moons ago, and should have bought back then when they were a bit cheaper. All in all, I still think it's about the cleanest. trimmest and best looking bumper (to my eye) for the FJ.

A.W.D.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Yeah, they're expensive...

I've seen the install guide and another thread in this sub-forum with the install.
Just not quite sure of the fit from what I've seen and hoping for more pics from different angles as well as more info on the cutting and trimming necessary.

Been looking at this bumper since they came out - many moons ago, and should have bought back then when they were a bit cheaper. All in all, I still think it's about the cleanest. trimmest and best looking bumper (to my eye) for the FJ.

A.W.D.
I have bought a lot of stuff from MetalTech years ago, back when LT was part owner. I have been to their shop and talked with Mark. Mark is a great guy and I have talked to him on the phone for extended periods of time. You have to end the phone call because Mark will talk your ear off. Give him a call. He might even have pictures to share.
(503) 822-1111

1 - 9 of 9 Posts