Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'14 6MT, Cement Gray, TRD/Off-Road/Convenience/JBL, mods mods mods mods
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I finally got around to installing the MetalTech Stronghold hidden winch bumper on my '14. The instructions say to remove the bumper, remove the stock cross brace, cut out the lower valence on the plastic bumper, install the new bumper with the support brackets, and then reattach the plastic bumper. In the pictures on the MetalTech website, the stock bumper contours match up perfectly with the Stronghold. However, my bumper now sags significantly, and the lines don't match up. I noticed that the stock cross brace has four mounting points onto which the bottom edge of the plastic bumper bolts, but now that the cross brace has been removed, there is nowhere for that lower edge to attach. Did I miss a step, or is there another solution anyone else with this bumper (or other low-profile bumper) has for this problem?

I will upload pics later today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics below. Notice how the edges don't match up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Looks like 1/2" to much was trimmed off. If you still have the center piece you can use it as filler material with a plastic welder and a lot of practice and patience. or somebody might have a full bumper skin

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like 1/2" to much was trimmed off. If you still have the center piece you can use it as filler material with a plastic welder and a lot of practice and patience. or somebody might have a full bumper skin
Interesting. So are you saying I trimmed it too wide? It did occur to me (after installing it) that maybe the stock bumper is supposed to rest on the metal insert. I thought I followed the instructions pretty closely, but it's an interesting idea.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I have installed 2 Stronghold mounts for customers and the instructions are very vague with the trimming, the yellow line in the instructions should be moved about a 1/2" over towards the center for the first cut then trim as needed. The bumper skin should have just enough trimmed off to sit tight behind the lip of the winch mount. There is a lot of different ways to fix it, quik and easy way is small metal strapping to go from bumper bolt to skin in either of the marked spots in photo just push skin back to where it looks right and make strap the fits.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I was thinking about using a metal strap to do something like what you're suggesting. I really appreciate the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts