Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MICH DEFENDER LTX M/S LT285/75R16 LRE BSW ALL SEASON TIRE

Costco has a good deal on four of these shipped, installed with tax for $879 OTD.

Can they handle trails the difficult trails in Ouray (Black bear & Poughkeepsie) ?

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
MICH DEFENDER LTX M/S LT285/75R16 LRE BSW ALL SEASON TIRE

Costco has a good deal on four of these shipped, installed with tax for $879 OTD.

Can they handle trails the difficult trails in Ouray (Black bear & Poughkeepsie) ?
As an "LT" tire they're a great choice for these rocky trails. The tread isn't aggressive but these aren't tough trails either.
A more aggressive tread may help on Poughkeepsie but I would't let that be a deciding factor if the other 99% of the time they'll be used on pavement.
Plenty of people wheel on the stock "P=passenger car" tires but they slice more easily on sharp rocks.

Reactions: aelway

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys, one more question - can I keep my 5th spare as a TOYO open country which are the same size if I go with 4x new Michelins ? The 5th is brand new never used

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
Hi Guys, one more question - can I keep my 5th spare as a TOYO open country which are the same size if I go with 4x new Michelins ? The 5th is brand new never used
Yes it will work, but why not start getting your money's worth out of the spare and get 5 while doing a 5 tire rotation?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
usually they don't like to install a certain size tire (285 or larger) on stock rims, because of the width. I have a trail teams - they come with a rim 1/2 inch wider. when they found out i had a wider rim they quickly agreed.

as for the defender vs Goodrich TA, for the same price i'd go Goodrich TA. it's a great tire. they are what came on my FJ and i got about 60K miles out of them, my second set (the newer K2) have about 25K on them and they look pretty new. they also got me up "The Wall" two out of two times (hopefully three this year ! - but i'll be on Mud terrains this year)

either tire will be good, can't lose.

be ready to have a great time and see some beautiful county.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts