Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Bad Wolf,
The Nittos get allot of attention, looks like a good tire, but the Mickey Thompsons look very good as well. I had to hold back on the purchase , but now, I may even go with the Deegan MT's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad that I thought this out, my original tire size was not right for my application.

My first choice was always the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 LT265/75R16, but I decided that I want a narrower tire. I'm convinced that this is a better choice. I want a LT235/85 R16. I may still go with Coopers AT3 LT's of the same size.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Any reasoning behind going for the skinnies? I think they look a bit goofy on the rather bulbous FJ. Personally i'd go for a Cooper ST Maxx, or STT Pro if you need a mudder. Both in a 285/75/16. I had a set of the ST Maxx, they were phenomenal and lasted forever (60k), and they have AT road manners.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes why the skinnies as PhoS says?

I don't see any advantage of the narrower tire; they might cut through snow a bit better but boy they do not look good!

You can't beat the Cooper; I am also having good luck with Falken Wildpeakes on my F150.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
do a google search for FJCruiserForums Pizza Cutters. I typically never see people going with something skinnier than a 255 tire or 10.5" width. I think a 235 is not wide enough and even an 85 profile will still leave you with 32" diameter tire. I would look at the 255/80R17 or 255/85R16 sizes for

Plenty of discussion on those pizza cutter threads about advantages/disadvantages of a skinnier tire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm pleased that some have commented on my choice of a regular width tire. I'm sure that there are some that agree with my decision. First of all, an FJ looks great with any tire, right now I have 285/75R16's.

They are MasterCraft Courser MXT, these are way too much tire for me. Of the 5 tires, my fronts look good, but my rears are worn-out. My spare, (MasterCraft Courser MXT) has never touched the road, does anyone want it? Any reasonable offer. I think the mfg date is 12-17.

I'd like to here more advise on the LT235/85 R16, I'm leaning towards the Mickey Thompson BAJA ATZ P3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts