Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Super excited to share the news that I have some new treads on my FJ! And not only are they new tires, but they are the newly released Baja Boss A/T tire from Mickey Thompson and it is a brand new tire size! I 've seen pizza cutters in smaller diameters but the tires I went with are 255/85R17 which the website lists as also being equivalent to 35x10.0R17. I made a video I wanted to share which shows the before and after of my wheel and tire setups and talks about the pros and cons of having the wider 315/70R17 tires I had before and why I decided to run these much narrower tires!

So far the handling on road has been great and the smaller footprint of the tires compared to my 315s makes the FJ much more responsive and nimble. The website says they weigh in at 64 lbs and I can confirm that is the case, and when not on the vehicle they measure around 34.5" in diameter but once installed it is more like 34" of true diameter, even at 46 psi in the tires. But they are a much better fitting tire on my black 17x7" TRD wheels which I'm happy about and I think if I lower the tire pressure a hair I will get better ground contact too since they appear to be a little over inflated currently.

The true test will be once I go off-road since I've never wheeled pizza cutter tires before but I'm excited! These tires have serious sidebiter sidewalls that will hopefully give it lots of grip on obstacles where sidewall is essential, like Hell's Gate in Moab! But they will perform on-road amazing as they are guaranteed at 50,000 miles of tread life and are severe snow rated. And with their asymmetric tread design they are also considered to be a hybrid tire due to the one side being more like a mud terrain and the other side more like an all terrain, giving you the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps and enjoy the video!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I am just about sold on these! Anyone know how wide of a wheel will be ok with 255s? Currently on 8.5" wheels and wondering if they will be too wide for 255s.

·
Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
68 Posts
What do the measure at when mounted up? A 255/85/17 equates to a 34.06” tire so I’m curious what the real life measurements are. Looks awesome!!

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Let us know the typical total balance correction weight required to bring these tires into balance, and the difference between the total weights on the tire that required the minimum weight vs the tire that required the maximum weight.

This is a good indicator of the tire's construction symmetry and build process control.

They look good, and it will be interesting to hear your comments after you've had them off road and after some miles accumulate. The narrower contact patch should provide crisper response to steering inputs.

·
Registered
920 Posts
What do the measure at when mounted up? A 255/85/17 equates to a 34.06” tire so I’m curious what the real life measurements are. Looks awesome!!
The website lists the OD as 34.6". I've seen traditional 35's (i.e. BFG's) come in under that. Agreed that's a good looking option.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Where did you purchase these tires? 4wheelparts advised that they are back-ordered 6-8 weeks.

I got spoiled by Tire Rack where shipping to my door was less than 12hrs from ordering.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Great to see a tire company building a size like that! There are too many taller tires that are really wide and they don't always fit everyone's purpose/use. I'll be waiting to hear your observations after trying them out offroad as well (the dual tread pattern is a very interesting concept!). Just so you know- your 255/85's put almost 7% more tread on the ground than the stock 265/70's, and the taller height makes them more beneficial without the concerns the wider 315/70's (but you, of course, already know this part). The 315/70 is almost exactly the same size as a 35x12.5), and have between 22 and 30% more tread than stock (depending on published specs- there are significant tread width differences, even just among the AT TA's).

For those that are interested- I'm multiplying the published tread width and tire diameter to compare the different sizes- example- a 265/70-17 BFG AT TA is 31.6" tall with 8.8" of tread- multiplying them gives 278.08. A 285/70-17 AT TA (load range C) is 32.8" x 9.3 = 305.04. Divided by 2.7808 = 109.69 or 9.69% more tread than the stock 265.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,961 Posts
I just caught wind of these today. Looks awesome! Now if I could just find $2500 in my couch cushions to pick up a set with new rims.....

Reactions: FJX2000 and CRAW

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where did you purchase these tires? 4wheelparts advised that they are back-ordered 6-8 weeks.

I got spoiled by Tire Rack where shipping to my door was less than 12hrs from ordering.
Got them direct through Mickey Thompson. Though they were special order and could have taken 6-8 weeks they shipped out like 2 days later!

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah they ended up measuring closer to 34s when mounted on the vehicle, but were 34.5" when unmounted.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Hayden, thanks for bringing these tires to everyone's attention! Just mounted them. On the road, they feel a lot better than the BFGs they replaced. Feels more responsive, quieter, and more comfortable. Very happy with them!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hayden, thanks for bringing these tires to everyone's attention! Just mounted them. On the road, they feel a lot better than the BFGs they replaced. Feels more responsive, quieter, and more comfortable. Very happy with them!

@iLuveKetchup I like your wheels what type of Methods are they? Offset?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Have either of you re-geared to run these 34" tires? And, auto or 6MT? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Have either of you re-geared to run these 34" tires? And, auto or 6MT? Thanks!
My FJ is auto and I have not re-geared. Re-gearing was next on the to-do list, but it has gotten lower priority since these tires feel like an improvement from what I had (285/70/17 K02). I don't feel a loss of power. Surprisingly, it actually feels more responsive on throttle. Possibly due to the narrower width with comparable weight to the K02s. Just to add, the speedometer reads 60mph but I am actually moving at 64mph (via GPS).

I will re-gear eventually but a new windshield and front coilover replacement was bumped up the list.

Oh also, I haven't driven through Route 70 since the new tires.. so I can't really comment on long highway climbs with cruise control etc. It has been better in noise, comfort, and responsiveness over K02s.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks for that info. These tires are in a size that I want (or 255-80/17 or better 265/80-17) but that is very hard to find. Hoping to not re-gear, and I have a bit lower ratio with the 6MT tranny so maybe.

These tires are E-rated, do you feel like they're too stiff for the FJ? I ran E-rated tires 20 years ago on a Blazer and the ride was really harsh.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Thanks for that info. These tires are in a size that I want (or 255-80/17 or better 265/80-17) but that is very hard to find. Hoping to not re-gear, and I have a bit lower ratio with the 6MT tranny so maybe.

These tires are E-rated, do you feel like they're too stiff for the FJ? I ran E-rated tires 20 years ago on a Blazer and the ride was really harsh.
These replaced C-rated K02s and they 'feel' a lot softer and more comfortable. Granted this comfort is probably due to the taller sidewalls. More cushin' for the pushin'!

I really dislike K02s

1 - 20 of 22 Posts