Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided I needed a truck and ended up with an FJ. Local 08 TTSE popped up with some high miles, only two owners, within 10 min from my office and that ended up being a dangerous combination, because it ended up in my driveway. 167k miles equally dispersed between the original owner who serviced it at the local Toyota dealer and the second owner who I have no maintenance records from, yet. They happen to live within 5 minutes of me and I may drop them a note if the insurance card left in the vehicle’s owner manual is still current and see what I can recoup.

Overall she’s been well used, looks like the paint has never seen a correction, other than the drivers rear quarter that someone “fixed” a spot by adding a nice clear coat over their handy work...so I’ll address that later if I end up keeping it around, I prefer the flat white look of unpolished single stage paint hehe

So far the 400 miles I’ve put on it going from Houston to Port O’Connor with my 18’ HB Waterman, details for any of you fisherman out there, went without issue beyond what is a shimmy under braking and at certain road speeds. I’ll have it aligned and see if that knocks it out, but it could definitely use a suspension refresh as what appears to be the original Bilstein’s are quite soft, but no rust and no leaks, so that is nice, but Bilstein have always been good to me and last forever.

Currently looking at an ICON stg1 to refresh the current sag and KISS, but my main usage for this FJ will be daily commute to and from the office and hauling the skiff when the wind lays down so I can chuck bugs at redfish. The stock setup has a ton of nose dive and gets unsettled quite easy on Houston roads, I’m looking for something I can bomb around in and do some light off-roading until I catch the bug by meeting up with other FJ owners and see what I’m missing. Trying to avoid the mod bug, I have high revving inline 6’s for wasting time and money wrenching on. I’m sure I’m lying to myself about keeping it stock..

BTW yes yes I read JB’s buyer guide, thought it made a lot of sense and then I completely disregarded all of it and bought a high mileage 08 because I have poor self control...Should I have held out and found something with half the miles, probably, do I regret it, no. I picked it up for just under $14k, which seemed fine to me, it was bone stock and the only issues I noticed prior to signing was the rear 1/4 paint, it has clean carfax and it’s quite obvious it was purely cosmetic. Leather seats are nice, the white stays cool even in Houston hellish afternoons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Welcome!

I used to live in Houston and go fishing in Port O'Conner all the time! Do miss both.

·
Premium Member
16,368 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi MicrowaveOven, welcome from central Ohio!
Regardless of miles and impulses, the FJ that makes you happy is the FJ to have.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey!
From Spring Branch/Memorial area!
D :smile

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome

·
Admin
6,583 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Congrats! My best friend lives in Houston! His name is Eric, you know him?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Mike is your best friend?? Shoot, he and I had wings and a scotch just last night at the Indian place!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts