Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month when I swapped to winter tires I checked all my pads. The front looked great, but I thought the rear looked a little thin. A lot thinner than the front actually, which I thought was strange. Now I get a squeal from the rear occasionally and I assume that must be the little warning tab on the brake pads. The truck is an '07 with only 32K on the odometer. Searching the threads I see at least a few other '07s that have had to replace their original rear pads before the fronts. Obviously rear pads should never wear faster than the fronts, but I don't think the calipers are sticking because they are wearing evenly. Unless it's a sticky valve in the master cylinder for the rear brake circuit causing both calipers to drag. I'm not familiar with the inner mechanicals of the FJ master cylinder- can anyone weigh in on that?

In any case, I have to take the truck in soon for a rattling steering column so I'll have them take a look at the brakes too.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I think a lot depends on how much wheeling with use of A-TRAC you do. I replaced my front pads i think at 25K and the rears i think around 37K. I did a bunch of heavy towing initially (5800lb trailer with no brakes) which i suspect what did in the front pads so soon.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I just replaced all four corners at 52k. Rears would have probably made it to 75k. Fronts maybe another 10k. Front rotors were pretty warped though. Went to ebc gd slotted/dimpled rotors and greenstuff 6000 pads. Major improvement over stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts