Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Yikes! $99.95 for one deflator. They sound easy to use though. Anybody know what the MILSPEC is for these things?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
My big question: They're calling them "MILSPEC" but talking about the UK right? Because I have never seen a tire deflator like that in the Army, ever. The only ones I have ever seen have been the CTIS(Central Tire Inflation System) on LMTV's and HMMT's. That's controlled from inside the cab, on vehicles with air brakes and air lines.

I don't see the big need for deflator's imo, I just use the back side of my tire pressure gauge and count, I usually get 1psi every 2 seconds, so say I'm going from 60psi (normal street) to 20psi (trail time) I just count to 80 and I'm usually right there.....

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've actually been using Trailhead deflators for several years now and they work great. It does take a little work to get them initially dialed in, but once they're set they're pretty reliable. I've been very happy with the Trailhead brand deflators so far, but the EO MilSpec brand does seem to have some distinct advantages:
  1. EO brand will still activate even at very low pressures. Trailheads require ~twice the pressure of the final drop point.
  2. EO brand allows for six different settings. Trailhead brand is designed for one setting only.
That being said, I'd still stick with the Trailhead based on the price alone. As I recall I think I paid ~$60 total for a set of 4 Trailhead deflators (set kit pic below). It would cost me $400 for the same setup using the EO MilSpec brand. Just my .02.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I read the add and I can not think of a modern mil vehicle that does not have CTIS...M998, LMTV, PLS, 5TON, what vehicle would the Military use these on?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I am very happy with my set of $59.00 stauns deflators that I have had for years now.

Having an adjustable deflator option is of no value in my opinion, I have not changed the pressure setting in my Stauns since 1999.

Doc

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I have been using my stauns for 5 yrs now and they work just fine. I calibrate them probly once a year to make sure they are staying at the proper psi. Don`t leave home without them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts