Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Ok I know that if i really wanted great milage I should have bought a sub compact. But I drive mostly highway miles to and from work and the best I have gotten so far is about 18mpg. I thought at least I would be getting 20 if not 22. Two factors that I know play into it is that I average about 65mph and that the shift into the last gear (automatic) happens at about 45mph so the gearing isn't that tall. It is a 4WD automatic, but I leave it in 2WD unless conditions warrent. So what is everyone else out there getting?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey first of all welcome. I drive a 10 iceberg 4wd auto and I manage about 20 and 18 around town. I allways have to remind myself to empty my rig as I seem to keep it packed with heavy items.

·
Registered
655 Posts
14 months, 19000km, I averaged 18.2mpg so far

low 16 mpg in the winter,
high 19mpg in the summer

best 21.6mpg

Never going over 62mph (100km/h)

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
12,906 Posts
wow, with 6MT averaging 19 mpg... that`s quiet an achievement!
I'll say, but then again I gave up on checking mpg's.

Plus I never drive 100 km/h on the highway, usually around 120-130km/h.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've always felt that gas mileage on the FJC tends to be somewhat exaggerated to the higher end on this forum. I've owned my 2007 for almost five years, keep it well-maintained, drive somewhat conservatively, and never done much better than 15-16 city and 19-21 highway.

·
Registered
505 Posts
OK Ok I know that if i really wanted great milage I should have bought a sub compact. But I drive mostly highway miles to and from work and the best I have gotten so far is about 18mpg. I thought at least I would be getting 20 if not 22. Two factors that I know play into it is that I average about 65mph and that the shift into the last gear (automatic) happens at about 45mph so the gearing isn't that tall. It is a 4WD automatic, but I leave it in 2WD unless conditions warrent. So what is everyone else out there getting?
Depending on where you live is where the mileage varies and what has been modified on the FJ. My FJ is 100% stock and a daily driver 60 miles round trip and 95% is at highway speed posted 65mph. I am in the Philadelphia area and due to the cold weather and winter fuel formula I am usually average around 20 to 21 mpg. Last week, due to snow and in 4wd, I recorded the lowest mpg in over two years which was just under 20 mpg. Now outside the winter months I am usually average between 21 and 23 mpg and best was 24 mpg. You will read a lot differences in lower mpg but most of them is due to the type of modification that has been done to their FJ.

George

·
Registered
460 Posts
22 to 24 on the highway... depends how I drive around town but it can go as low as 16 or as high as 18..

·
Registered
899 Posts
Keep in mind that I'm still factory stock. Although I'm going to add a snorkel soon...

Looks like you are running studded tires. "265/70R17 Nokian hakkapeliitta 5 SUV studded"

Winter + studded tires are definitely lowering your MPG...The least rolling-resistance a tire has the better the gas mileage. Studded tires will not provide for optimum rolling resistance by the very nature of their design and use.

Also:

9 reasons why your winter fuel economy bites! - MetroMPG.com

Winter MPG

Did not cover this:

Type of Tire

Some tires have specialized purposes - like snow tires. Snow tires are really good at driving through snow, but they do so at the expense of gas mileage.

Wide tires and studded tires will both significantly lower your gas mileage.

Also, using steel belted tires can help you improve your gas mileage by up to 10%.

I am sure most people knew this already - just thought I would post as a reminder that winter can suck!! (gas that is...):lol:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes, the tires are lowering my average, you feel the resistance when you put them on/off. But the traffic is also denser in winter, so I do a lot more stop & go than in the summer. I'd say the difference is about 50/50.

If I had to buy again, I would get the Hakkapeliitta LT Studded 235/85R16

But I would never trade a heavy snow storm in the winter with a week of summer! Screw my AVG :rofl:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Slow down on the highway

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
15 MPG recorded today, and I was somewhat happy about it...wooo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts