Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not find this posted anywhere so I thought I would review how I did it.

One could just cut the military plug off and spice in something else. However, I wanted to keep the trailer harness intact, so I chose to build an adapter.

First we look at the stock FJ setup, a standard 4 pin connector. You will need to buy a 4 pin male trailer connector that fits this, about $4 for me.

The trailer sports a 12 pin connector. Don't bother trying to find an adapter at the hardware store, they will just look at you funny if you ask.

I got a military vehicle trailer receptacle from Saturn Surplus. TRLRPLUG It ran me $22.50. The plug I got did not have any attached wires. What you see here is after I connected it to the 4-pin male:

The wiring basics I used:

Civilian......Military.....Function
Green........J.............RH stop and turn
Yellow.......B.............LH stop and turn
Brown........E............Tail/Running lights
White........D & L.......Ground

I used a scrap piece of aluminum to make a bracket and sealed up the back side with liquid electrical tape:

Installed it on the FJ using the same bolt the stock setup uses:

This allows me to tow either military or 4 pin civilian applications. Total cost was about 1/2 hour and $30.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The military stuff is heavy duty compared to other trailers I have had. It actually looked refurbished recently, so I kept it.

Plus if someone ever steals it maybe they will get pulled over for having trailer lights that don't work.

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts
Thx for the post.

I'm thinking I'll do the same, except mount the adapter on the trailer so I can use any of my vehicles to tow it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does the stock 12 pin plug in and hold easily? I just bought a M101 but thought I might need a support bracket to hold the weight of the plug.

Sean

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the stock 12 pin plug in and hold easily? I just bought a M101 but thought I might need a support bracket to hold the weight of the plug.

Sean
It seems to stay in fine the way I have it set up. It is pretty snug. You actually have to pull a bit to get the military plug out of the military outlet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Pics of ur rig pulling the trailer. :)

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Don't forget to install a light for the license plate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could not find this posted anywhere so I thought I would review how I did it.

One could just cut the military plug off and spice in something else. However, I wanted to keep the trailer harness intact, so I chose to build an adapter.

First we look at the stock FJ setup, a standard 4 pin connector. You will need to buy a 4 pin male trailer connector that fits this, about $4 for me.

The trailer sports a 12 pin connector. Don't bother trying to find an adapter at the hardware store, they will just look at you funny if you ask.

I got a military vehicle trailer receptacle from Saturn Surplus. TRLRPLUG It ran me $22.50. The plug I got did not have any attached wires. What you see here is after I connected it to the 4-pin male:

The wiring basics I used:

Civilian......Military.....Function
Green........J.............RH stop and turn
Yellow.......B.............LH stop and turn
Brown........E............Tail/Running lights
White........D & L.......Ground

I used a scrap piece of aluminum to make a bracket and sealed up the back side with liquid electrical tape:

Installed it on the FJ using the same bolt the stock setup uses:

This allows me to tow either military or 4 pin civilian applications. Total cost was about 1/2 hour and $30.
how can I get one female plug for civiliant truck?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to buy something already made. This guy on eBay has a nice harness. It's made as a 7 pin but he will make 4 pin. I dint have my trailer kit yet so my question is , are the oem FJ's 7 or 4 pin?military trailer adapter harness M101A1,A2A3 M1101 M105 | eBay
Hello
I bought a harness off the same guy and it works great!! Plug and play. I bought the 85.00 harness. Made very well and would buy again from this gentleman.

·
Registered
74 Posts
thanks for sharing this info. Just picked up a M100 (Canadian model) and am heading to Fort Lewis if I win bidding on a M1101. Don't know if I will have time to make this before pick up so magnetic lights will have to do. These old military trailers are so much better than commercial utility trailers and look way cooler.

Question - Did you solder the wires into the 24v receptacle? This should be the same for a 7 pin too right just different plug?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts