Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

Registered
Dammit @FlouroMonkey - I had plans for that money! 馃捀馃槱
I was ok with the blind spots and getting by just fine. But heated mirrors? with installation details from @norm356 and an old thread that I hadn't found yet?
Pretty sure I'll be wanting those in six months when ice returns. ...so dammit and Thanks! 馃憤

Registered
2011 FJ - Iceberg White
Discussion Starter #22
There are so many far more suitable options available at reasonable cost. I use surplus MIL-spec aircraft/aerospace wire, readily available from multiple sources. You may not find the exact color you want, or the exact gauge, but you can always use the next-largest gauge, and it's just about the highest quality wire you can get. Skycraft Surplus in Florida is one source (skycraftsurplus.com), Apex surplus (apexsurplus.com) in Sun Valley, California is another.
I must admit I'm of the same mindset. Although, it's a habit of my profession to always go with what is designed for the specific application. I also usually "gauge up" on wire just in case. The manufacturers try to save every penny they can because it adds up with the volume they're dealing with. I figure if I'm going to spend a few hours installing or modifying something, it's worth spending a few extra bucks to get the higher quality materials.

Sent from my S3_Pro using Tapatalk

Registered
2011 FJ - Iceberg White
Discussion Starter #24
So, my mirrors arrived this week. The shipping cost a little more because their normal air mail is interrupted by COVID. It cost me $15 extra to have them shipped FedEx Express instead. The manufacture date on the box is 2020-06-18 and they arrived at my door on the 25th! I'm very pleased with the mirrors, and Megazip.net.
The total ended up at $157 for the pair, including expedited shipping.
They are installed, but I still need to run the wiring for the heating element. Hard to motivate for that when it's summer.

Registered
So, my mirrors arrived this week. The shipping cost a little more because their normal air mail is interrupted by COVID. It cost me $15 extra to have them shipped FedEx Express instead. The manufacture date on the box is 2020-06-18 and they arrived at my door on the 25th! I'm very pleased with the mirrors, and Megazip.net.
The total ended up at $157 for the pair, including expedited shipping.
They are installed, but I still need to run the wiring for the heating element. Hard to motivate for that when it's summer.

Any way to provide some photos from the driver's viewpoint, showing the expanded field of view on each side?

Registered
2011 FJ - Iceberg White
Discussion Starter #26
I might have to try again when it's not raining lol. Probably hard to tell from that pic. I'm surprised by how much further down I can see. It's going to make backing up much easier.

The JDM mirrors have a different pattern than our passenger mirrors. They are aspherical instead of just convex. They're flatter toward the top and inside and get more curved toward the edge and bottom. It doesn't look as distorted as the North American version.

Registered
I might have to try again when it's not raining lol. Probably hard to tell from that pic. I'm surprised by how much further down I can see. It's going to make backing up much easier.

The JDM mirrors have a different pattern than our passenger mirrors. They are aspherical instead of just convex. They're flatter toward the top and inside and get more curved toward the edge and bottom. It doesn't look as distorted as the North American version.

Can't really see the change in field of view without some other vehicles next to you.

Maybe you could snap another photo or two when its not raining, and you are stopped at a red light with cars behind you and in the lane next to you.

Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
I found this... I live in Florida, you're on your own. Good luck!

Regards, Andy

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

Registered
I found this... I live in Florida, you're on your own. Good luck!

Regards, Andy

<>< <>< <>< QUOTE]

I really like that page. He has many mods. I have to say stole couple ideas from that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
FJ Test, it can be difficult to illustrate the difference in field of view without a "before" and "after" shot, of the same setup. What will typically be found is that with the FMVSS flat glass on the LH side, when you rotate your head to look at it, the field of view that it provides, plus your own peripheral vision, leaves a space between them just about big enough for a Sienna to hide in, in the lane to your left ( = "blind spot"). This is with the outside mirror glass rotated to the "typical" user's position. The folks who rotate their glass as far outward as they can comfortably live with, reduce this to some extent.

After switching to curved glass on the LH side, the resulting blind spot, with the same carefully prepared setup as above, is typically reduced to around the size of a small motorcycle (or less) that can manage to hide in the lane to your left.

Regarding the curve of the glass, if I recall correctly, the glass curvature used in Europe is around 1400mm, same as our RH glass. In Japan they allow a tighter curve, around 1000mm, so the field of view in their glass is increased slightly.

Regarding the blind spot, when we rotate our head fully, to look directly at what is in the lane behind us, we can see everything ("direct view"). But, not everyone does that (and older drivers, who tend to have less neck rotation ability, sometimes cannot do that at all). Not fully rotating the head and instead only using the mirrors to see would be called "indirect view" and that's what I'm referring to above.

Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
I speed up or slow down before changing lanes when possible and that stops people from camping out in my blind spot. That has worked for me with no mods. If I had to deal with foggy mirrors... that would be a problem but I live in FL...

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

Registered
2011 FJ Cruiser Iceberg
Female 'Faston" connectors covered with heat-shrink tubing does not look to be original Toyota wiring ... someone was in there before you.
You are probably correct, I have the truck torn apart and tracing all the "extra" wires that the PO installed. It could have been a hack job for heated mirrors or maybe halos. The odd thing...I recall the dealership telling me that they replaced the mirror glass as it looked warped.

I have been trying to track down pictures of the heated mirror connectors but, have not turned up any results yet.

Registered
...I recall the dealership telling me that they replaced the mirror glass as it looked warped.
Oh 馃樀 does sounds like you may have been un-modded by the dealership.
Kudos to the tech that shrinkwrapped the connector ends though.
Is the RH side the same? Were both sides replaced?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts