Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all-

I have been wanting to do this mod for quite some time now and couldn't find a thread with a lot of pictures. I used LA Trail Teams 10's thread as it seemed like the easiest method.

Here's how to do it with lots of pictures. I hope it helps someone out.

Cheers! :cheers:

You'll need:

Long Philips Screwdriver
Long Flat Screwdriver
Long Wood Screw
Pliers

----

STEP 1

1. Tilt your mirror all the way up.
  2. Slide your flat head screwdriver between the mirror and the plastic until you get between the mirror and clips.
  3. Rotate your screwdriver to pop off the mirror. (Not my video, but helpful)

----

STEP 2

1. Remove these three screws
  2. Then Pop off the front mirror housing

----

STEP 3

2. Then pop back the rear mirror housing a little
  3. Remove the lightbulb housing

----

STEP 4

Remove the diffuser

1. With your flat head screwdriver push around the edges to unstick the diffuser
  2. Screw your wood screw into (just a little) the blue diffuser
  3. Pull the screw with your pliers
  4. Repeat these steps until you get the diffuser out

----

STEP 4

Replace stock bulbs with your choice of 194 bulb.

I used these amber LEDs and like them a lot. I didn't want super super bright ones, but wanted them amber instead of white and a little brigher than stock. These accomplished that nicely.

----

STEP 5

Replace the mirror. Be sure to slide the top in first, then press firmly until it's secure

Attachments

·
Premium Member
821 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hmmm I've considered doing this, but I'm worried that my 100 lumen white LED T-bulbs might be too bright at that height (I think at some point it's illegal to drive on regular roads with lights above a certain height?). Anyone know a little more about that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm I've considered doing this, but I'm worried that my 100 lumen white LED T-bulbs might be too bright at that height (I think at some point it's illegal to drive on regular roads with lights above a certain height?). Anyone know a little more about that?
My opinion is that would be way too bright for driving lights up that high. With 100 lumens I would recommend going with amber lights which I may try at some point.

Mine are amber 30 lumen bulbs and maintain a stock appearance. I just really hated that dingy white.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My opinion is that would be way too bright for driving lights up that high. With 100 lumens I would recommend going with amber lights which I may try at some point.

Mine are amber 30 lumen bulbs and maintain a stock appearance. I just really hated that dingy white.

:cheers:
Ahh see I'm the opposite... anti-amber! haha
My current setup looks pretty good with the 100lm bulbs and the diffuser in there. It doesn't shine bright enough to make anyone squint, but it's a good solid accent to go with the other LED's. Either way, nice upgrade from the OEM yellowish look!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just used this thread yesterday, great post!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Nice write up. Going to do this and switch to LEDs when it gets warmer.
Don't think I want to mess with plastic clips when it's 21 degrees outside.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey all-

I have been wanting to do this mod for quite some time now and couldn't find a thread with a lot of pictures. I used LA Trail Teams 10's thread as it seemed like the easiest method.

Here's how to do it with lots of pictures. I hope it helps someone out.

Cheers! :cheers:

You'll need:

Long Philips Screwdriver
Long Flat Screwdriver
Long Wood Screw
Pliers

----

STEP 1

1. Tilt your mirror all the way up.
  2. Slide your flat head screwdriver between the mirror and the plastic until you get between the mirror and clips.
  3. Rotate your screwdriver to pop off the mirror. Good YouTube video

----

STEP 2

2. Then Pop off the front mirror housing

----

STEP 3

2. Then pop back the rear mirror housing a little
  3. Remove the lightbulb housing

----

STEP 4

Remove the diffuser

1. With your flat head screwdriver push around the edges to unstick the diffuser
  2. Screw your wood screw into (just a little) the blue diffuser
  3. Pull the screw with your pliers
  4. Repeat these steps until you get the diffuser out

----

STEP 4

Replace stock bulbs with your choice of 194 bulb.

I used these amber LEDs and like them a lot. I didn't want super super bright ones, but wanted them amber instead of white and a little brigher than stock. These accomplished that nicely.

----

STEP 5

Replace the mirror. Be sure to slide the top in first, then press firmly until it's secure

Looks like my next mod!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts