Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mirror Lights wont shut off - Help Needed From Factory Techs

Anyone know how to disable the Mirror lights so they dont turn on with the main headlights?

I was recently pulled over by a state trooper and been given a verbal warning to not drive with the mirror lights on.

Unfortunately I cant find any switch for the mirror lights and the only way to shut them off is to turn off the headlights which doesnt work well at nite.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,928 Posts
There is no way to shut them off, they are on all the time. I am sure it is legal, no way they would clear a safety inspection with illegal lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I hear ya, but try telling that to a State Trooper at 9 pm on rainey nite
when he needs to make citation quota.

The real problem is that Toyota forgot the mirror light switch on the FJ.
All other toyotas (4 Runner, Tacoma, LandCruiser, Rav4, camry, etc) have a seperate switch for shutting off fog/Aux driving lights since its illegal in many states to operate these lights on public roads.

I would gladly have paid the extra $3.25 to have a switch put in by the factory, but it will know cost me 30 times that to do it aftermarket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
You must live in a town with some backwards ass cops. How the heck can that retard pull you over for a brand new vehcile without any aftermarket mods? Does he realize that all brand new cars have to pass safety/crash standards before they sell? :confused:

Those lights are just marker ligts, not fog/driving lights...they're only 5 watts!

This is actaully pretty funny, where do you live?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually told the cop the same thing, saying that they are only marker lamps, to which he replied that DOT/NHSA define marker lights as being amber, clear lights are not permitted to be used as marker lights.

FYI I reside in the "Burn Baby Burn!" state - AKA Rhode Island
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,928 Posts
I say give me the ticket, so I can make him look like a jackass in court. They come factory equipped this way!
 

·
fka JimmyHoops
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
Blackstone_Cruiser said:
I actually told the cop the same thing, saying that they are only marker lamps, to which he replied that DOT/NHSA define marker lights as being amber, clear lights are not permitted to be used as marker lights.

FYI I reside in the "Burn Baby Burn!" state - AKA Rhode Island
Intresting, the prototypes had amber lights while the production units were shipped with white lights....

Have you spoken with the dealer about this? I would be curious to hear what Toyota officially says about this.

Keep us posted on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I actually did go to the dealer this morning, they basically said huh, thats interesting, nope we dont know much about them.
Then I went over to a 4-runner and showed them how the aux lights on it can be turned off.

I would be willing to wire in a switch if I can find the right wire to add a switch to, however I dont think this will be an easy thing to do.

Hopefully some Toyota Factory Tech will read this thread and offer some help.
 

·
fka JimmyHoops
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
Blackstone_Cruiser said:
I actually did go to the dealer this morning, they basically said huh, thats interesting, nope we dont know much about them.
Then I went over to a 4-runner and showed them how the aux lights on it can be turned off.

I would be willing to wire in a switch if I can find the right wire to add a switch to, however I dont think this will be an easy thing to do.

Hopefully some Toyota Factory Tech will read this thread and offer some help.
Blackstone,

You should press the dealer further and say that you do not want a ticket and that Toyota needs to correct this problem. Perhaps you can spur on a factory authorized fix and let the dealer install it for free. That's my suggestion. This should not be your problem if it is in fact "against the law". One thing I would do is to go to the police station and try to get something in writing that it is in fact an infraction of the law. Then the dealer would have no choice but to correct the situation at their expense and expertise.

Keep us posted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
In VA there's a law that you can't run on the street with any lights on higher than the headlights. Be interesting to see what will happen when someone takes this to Court since they are Toyota factory installed....
 

·
fka JimmyHoops
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
Brian - VABeach said:
In VA there's a law that you can't run on the street with any lights on higher than the headlights. Be interesting to see what will happen when someone takes this to Court since they are Toyota factory installed....
Brian,

Why wait to go to court? Sounds like you have a good shot at getting Toyota to do something about it BEFORE you get a ticket. Why wait to give the cops a silly reason to pull you over?...

Sounds like if you take this approach, you had better be ready to be on good behavior ANYTIME you take your cruiser for a drive. And be sure that you have not had a drop to drink...otherwise it's "go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.00". Or as my well seasoned friends call it, "the $6,000.00 six pack."

Someone in a state in which this is a problem needs to take the initiative and be proactive about it instead of arm-chair quarterbacking it today and writing a "boo-hoo" thread on the forum tomorrow.

And as they say, forewarned is forarmed....and as they say in Latin: Caveat Emptor....“Buyer Beware.”
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
Blackstone_Cruiser said:
I actually did go to the dealer this morning, they basically said huh, thats interesting, nope we dont know much about them.
Then I went over to a 4-runner and showed them how the aux lights on it can be turned off.

I would be willing to wire in a switch if I can find the right wire to add a switch to, however I dont think this will be an easy thing to do.

Hopefully some Toyota Factory Tech will read this thread and offer some help.
If you want you can pick up #194 series wedge bulbs in amber from any auto parts store for about $2 - then switch out the bulbs in the mirror lights and - wah lah - amber marker lights and no ignorant, time wasting, law-twisting police officer run-ins !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
I like the idea that Toyota adds a switch - it would truly be a unique Cruiser wave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Re: Mirror Lights wont shut off - Help Needed From Factory Techs

Blackstone_Cruiser said:
Anyone know how to disable the Mirror lights so they dont turn on with the main headlights?

I was recently pulled over by a state trooper and been given a verbal warning to not drive with the mirror lights on.

Unfortunately I cant find any switch for the mirror lights and the only way to shut them off is to turn off the headlights which doesnt work well at nite.
Tell him this is how the FJ is from the factory, if you need to show him a manual as well. They are low light so they are not considered fog lights or trail lights which are indeed illegal.

He probably just wanted to get a look at your FJ:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Re: Mirror Lights wont shut off - Help Needed From Factory Techs

chris410 said:
Tell him this is how the FJ is from the factory, if you need to show him a manual as well. They are low light so they are not considered fog lights or trail lights which are indeed illegal.

He probably just wanted to get a look at your FJ:cool:
About the FJ having these lights is, IT CAME OF THE BOAT THAT WAY. ITS NOT A MOD THAT I DID, THUS ITS LEGAL.
 

·
fka JimmyHoops
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
Re: Mirror Lights wont shut off - Help Needed From Factory Techs

BayAreaBilly said:
About the FJ having these lights is, IT CAME OF THE BOAT THAT WAY. ITS NOT A MOD THAT I DID, THUS ITS LEGAL.
Legal according to whome? Just because something is manufactured in Japan and the designed in California does not necessarily make it 100% legal in all states. Toyota may have screwed up on this one. That is one of the small challenges of owning a "year-one" production vehicle.

Plus it would be cool if Toyota did the fix so we can have a wave....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,172 Posts
This is the nuttiest thing I've heard lately. The only color prohibited here (TN) is a white light facing the rear of the vehicle. You got pulled over by a dimwit, probably a jealous dimwit with a small nightstick ;)
 

·
fka JimmyHoops
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
sbechtold said:
You can always download the wiring guide and figure out where to install a rocker switch. However, if it were me, I'd make the dealer figure out if this is a problem and take appropriate action to correct it.
Exactly!
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top