Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was unable to find a thread on this i just did some tlc on the mirrors they were making creaking noises got that fixed but are the motor’s replaceable i have an 07 are the newer models using the same motor?

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
Motors don’t creak. I’d look for places to lube the plastic and control cables. I need to do mine too because they are jumpy when being adjusted.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know why i have to go into detail but my motors did creak you call yours anything you want. It shouldnt be necessary to go into minute detail to try to explain something the mirrors are controlled by motors in the mirror housing no cables.

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
The more detail you give, the better the responses will be. Pictures are a big help as well.

My 2011 has gotten to the point to where the original lube pads are gone. My grease gun is at the ready position in the garage to tackle the squeak gremlins as they pop up.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok noted. I assumed it was common knowledge
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive wheel system

This is the motor that creaked not mine but same. And they creek lots of noise so whether its motor or plastic tabs it creaked now its fixed.

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
Looks like a pain in the butt maintenance wise. Is it easy to open up or a sealed unit? I may go your route and order new motor assemblies and call it good.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could open it with a chainsaw

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It doesn't look like you can buy just the motor, at least from my searches. You have to replace the whole mirror assembly at nearly $150 to $200 a pop. You can replace the glass however. My mirror's plastic housing creaks when I manipulate it, but the motor itself is quiet...... for now knock on wood. It looks like the little motor is riveted together. You could try to remove the rivets and use some sort of silicone grease to fix the problem, but I don't know how you'd seal it back up and keep it in one piece.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I removed the moter i cleaned it with spray then sprayed lube into to openings. It still creeked when i manipuit but after reassembly it worked perfect they sre available on amazon for about 35$

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the 2007 which works for mine

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
The motors on my 07 mirrors I think are worn out also. Mine don`t do anything. I have to adjust by hand

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
Iwas changing the mirror bulbs yesterday. Adjustment motors being flakey. Sometimes they would engage and then stop working on one axis or the other. Troubleshot it to the switch. Adding it to the to-do list.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts