Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 575 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The basics:
Front: hp44 (from a 77-79 Ford) with Chevy outers (89 ish), 4.88's (Percision Gears) and ARB locker
Rear: stock e-locker w/ 4.88's
3 link w/ panhard front, same in the rear just executed different
Steering box from 79 F150
37" iroks on mrw 15/8's
13" ES 3k's
custom front tube bumper with xd 9k winch

Started 6/17/07, finished ~9/5/07 :D

Many Sillyneck quotes (fabricator along with help from Tim Scully)

We are know doing a 3 link front instead of 4 (tight space under there) as well as a 3 link in the rear. Stay tuned to see if that works out

Gears:
Sol did us a huge favor and hooked us up with Inchworm (who was looking for a front diff to play with). They are rebuilidng our rear with 4.88's so thats one less thing Tim has to do. They picked it up at 10:30 and called at 2:30 to say it's done. What service!!

Front:
79 Ford F-150 box. mounts outside the frame and steers off the front of the box instead of the rear... Have it set as far forward as we can with out hitting the front tow hook bracket that drops off the frame or the radiator drain. Axle is pushed forward...there's 2 feet from axle center to the body mount on the driver's side if that gives any perspective.

Rear:

LONNNNNNGGGGG (45") lower links to reduce the "steer" effect of the limited triangulation. (stupid gas tank and location.)

the panhard will be inverted so it travels on the same plane as the front end even though they're mounted opposite

hahaha I'll tell you why they love the ifs. The driver's side of the rig is 1000lbs heavier w/ a driver in it and for how inboared the rear springs are, all you have to do is have a stiff front end to keep it level lol.

I really like coil overs..... but I really like my suspensions to act similar front and rear. If I could have cut the floor out in the back and done a set of c/o's back there too I might have pushed for it, but with what we had to work with and keeping streetablility and budget (in the back of my mind) these coils paired w/ a set of uncharged shocks offer much better side hilling and counter the uber heavy body weight a little better.

RIP ATrac :( It did a great job and I will miss it :( (for about 5 minutes :p). Thinking black tape will be a temporary fix for the dash lights...

I have 30k miles, therefore not interested in warranty, yada, yada

How much? well, I sold my soul to this fabricator guy and I'm only paying for parts :) ARB & wheels being the most expensive.

There are others going on now that will prolly have 10x better write ups than myself.

I'm sure I'm missing some info....Whatcha think? Am I crazy? :silly:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...measurements-before-after-sfa-conversion.html

·
Registered
269 Posts
Finally stopped talking about doing it and started doing it!

We are 4 linking the front axle (only the front, as the thing freaks out without the electronics in the rear).

We have planned these mods to go with the SAC: 4.88's f/r, ARB, redoing all the links with thicker tubing f/r, 37" Iroks on 15" Marsh Racing Wheels.

Hope to be done after the 4th of July :bandit:

Answers to future questions:

My camera is broken!!! :mecry: :mecry: so I only have camera phone pics for now and hoping to requisition another camera for close up pics :D

RIP ATrac :( It did a great job and I will miss it :( (for about 5 minutes :p)

I have 30k miles, therefore not interested in warranty, yada, yada

How much? well, I sold my soul to this fabricator guy and I'm only paying for parts :) ARB & wheels being the most expensive.

I'm sure I'm missing some info....Whatcha think? Am I crazy? :silly:
I think it is more crazy to leave a FJC stock :)

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Congrates on the swap MissFJ, it should be a fun time with a great reward at the end. Good luck with a simple and easy swap. :)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Major mod time. I say go for it! Keep us up to date, Please!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yikes,
Here we go.

You're not crazy, it's just kinda scary all cut up like that at first.
You're right Rover.

All this talk about SFA's got me to thinking. I'm not sure why I don't just wheel my '96 FJ80.

Already has a solid front axle-stock.
Already has front and rear lockers from the factory
Stock form, it has an inch more ground clearance than the stock FJ Cruiser......

Oh, and a tailgate!

Hmmmmm. Flame On!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Good luck! Have you finished paying off the sliders yet?

·
Registered
944 Posts
so..does this mean you still won't take me up on switching out with svetlana?

:roller:

haha goodluck with everything..it'll be killer when it's finished.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good luck! Have you finished paying off the sliders yet?
te he, still on the same soul. Hoping to get tube front and rear bumpers out of it too. Actually half to redo the front bumper since the front is being pushed forward three inches.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
i forgot an important question. Is this going to be done in time for the Summit, or are you riding along with some one?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup...I said we're shooting for finishing after the 4th of July. Would like to shake it down on the rubicon TTORA run (9-11) before hitting Colorado. Might be cutting it close though!!!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You're right Rover.

All this talk about SFA's got me to thinking. I'm not sure why I don't just wheel my '96 FJ80.

Already has a solid front axle-stock.
Already has front and rear lockers from the factory
Stock form, it has an inch more ground clearance than the stock FJ Cruiser......

Oh, and a tailgate!

Hmmmmm. Flame On!
UM ya, Because you wouldn't have an FJ with an SFA! And I think that is going to be an awesome rig.

1 - 20 of 575 Posts