Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the spec's for this bolt that has somehow gone missing?

Thanks...

-

·
Registered
936 Posts
Re: Missing Sway Bar Bolt

Hey Vince, I just went out and looked at mine and it looks like the same size as the other end. Looks like a 12mm x 95/100mm long with 1.5mm thread pitch and has a 19mm head. I would pull off the sway bar and take the other bolt to your local bolt shop and size it that way, probably be a good idea to remove it till you get another bolt anyway.

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts

Hi Vince:
It looks like the bolt for your panhard bar (rear lateral control rod in Toyota speak) has gone AWOL and most likely the nut for that side too. It's an M14-1.5mm pitch, 80mm long which is a little difficult to find in grade 10.9. I'd order the bolt and nut from the dealer since the nut is a locking flange nut. You may be able to fit a 9/16-18 x 3" long grade 8 bolt there too. Torque for the bolt is 96 ft-lb and some Loctite will be good too. Be careful working on that side; the brake ABS wire is very close by (held by the green plastic clip) and it doesn't take much force to damage the wire. HTH
Thong

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks much guys - I really appreciate it.

-

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts

Hi Vince:
It looks like the bolt for your panhard bar (rear lateral control rod in Toyota speak) has gone AWOL and most likely the nut for that side too. It's an M14-1.5mm pitch, 80mm long which is a little difficult to find in grade 10.9. I'd order the bolt and nut from the dealer since the nut is a locking flange nut. You may be able to fit a 9/16-18 x 3" long grade 8 bolt there too. Torque for the bolt is 96 ft-lb and some Loctite will be good too. Be careful working on that side; the brake ABS wire is very close by (held by the green plastic clip) and it doesn't take much force to damage the wire. HTH
Thong
X2 - I'd get the bolt from the dealer's parts dept just to make sure.

·
Registered
493 Posts

I'd try a 9/16" Grade 8 bolt/nut/washer also.
9/16" = 14.30mm
It might take up a little slop in the hole if there is any.

You might check Fastenal also.

What color loctite do you think for that bolt, or on the ones holding the LCA's?
RED or BLUE?

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts

I'd try a 9/16" Grade 8 bolt/nut/washer also.
9/16" = 14.30mm
It might take up a little slop in the hole if there is any.

You might check Fastenal also.

What color loctite do you think for that bolt, or on the ones holding the LCA's?
RED or BLUE?

KyFJGuy
Blue should hold it.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I just looked and the flange nut is still hanging on there.

I might be able to find the bolt tomorrow at a specialty hardware store near here in Anaheim.

McFadden-Dale Industrial Hardware Llc
2925 East La Palma Avenue, Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 630-6390 ‎

Cheers...

-

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts

Like uphill said, blue Loctite will do (good for bolts up to 3/4"). BTW, Loctite recently released an improved version of the blue medium strength, #243; it's supposed to be more oil resistant.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

It looks like the hole may be a little tricky to get lined up.

I have those Heavy (Prado) OME springs on back there (896) and they seem to be pushing the back end up and causing the bar to not line up when at rest.

I wonder if the heavy springs contributed to the bolt lose.

How can I get the holes to line up now?

Drive up a ramp on that side, or a ratchet strap?

-

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts

Which way does the panhard bar need to move? You can use a floor jack on the passenger's side frame to raise the frame very slightly to allow the panhard bar to swing down to line up with the holes in the axle. If the hole in the panhard bar is too far to the right, use the floor jack on the driver's side of the axle to raise it very slightly to line up or try shoving the rear axle to the right. A ratchet strap can also be used to move the rear axle side to side.
Edit: to answer your other question, I don't think the heavy OME springs caused this bolt to come loose but since you're working down there, I'd check the torque on the rest of the bolts. Torque values are listed here.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks much Thong, you the man.

-

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
P/N 90119-14119 Bolt, lateral rod ~ $5

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I lost one of those bolts. I got a replacement at an Ace Hardware somewhere around Bishop, Ca. I have about 30,000 miles with some pretty hard wheeling on it and it's holding strong. I don't remember the exact size though. Oh, there ya go....part number^

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I found a 14mm x 1.5 thread pitch x 80mm bolt at the hardware store, but it was not grade 10.9.

I have it installed now as a temporary solution, and have a new bolt ordered from Toyota.

The local parts guy told me they usually have them somewhere locally in SoCal and can get them the next day, but it seems these are out of stock and will take 2 or 3 days to come in.

The rattling noise is gone, and the truck is handling much better as well. It felt like the steering was drifting a bit the last few days, must have been this issue.

-

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Yet another victim,sorry to hear about this happening to you.I had a few of the same issues.

·
Registered
120 Posts
THIS is the nut that I stripped, somehow, like some kind of idiot. UGGGGHHH! What the hell do I do? The weld nut that's inside the mount on the real end that the panhard rod bolts to. Is it possible to air-chisel that nut out or something?

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,239 Posts
Does anyone know for sure if the bolt used on the panhard bar spoken of in this thread is the same on either end of the panhard bar? From parts diagrams it looks like it is, just want to be sure.

And does anyone know what the nut part number is that holds the bolt on the passenger side? My passenger side bolt has seized in the bushing and will require cutting so I can install my new panhard from RESZ Fab, so I need to get a new nut and bolt lined up.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts