Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok team, here is a fun one. Jus goot a 2011 full army green NSSE about two weeks ago. Aftermarket baja rack has been installed, looks like there was a factory rack installed at some point even though the NSSE supposedly didn't come with a rack. It appears as though I'm missing four plastic strips on each side of the roof. Now I have a series of questions.

1. Do I need to replace them?
2. What can happen if i don't replace them?
3. I've got a rack delete kit in the mail, I'm removing the baja rack and plugging the shorty bolts/brackets and body color caps in the six rack mounting points. Is the lack of trim going to interfere? Increase my chances for leaks after I've removed the baja rack and installed the delete kit?
4. If I do need to replace them, can someone help me positively identify the correct part numbers for the army green roof - special edition color code V67?
5. Did this truck actually have black strips when it arrived with no factory rack as a result of getting stuck in port in 2011?
6. The toyota dealer parts guys here in town were VERY reluctant to provide me with the parts list, and even then I think they are still going to try to order me the stock white roof parts.
7. Why in the holy ****ing **** are 8 pieces of plastic strips 500 bucks? Am I taking crazy pills?

See attached pics, both sides are missing all four pieces. Dealer I purchased the truck from (out of state) says: "My basic answer would be that if our service department didn't find them necessary to replace then I would not be concerned at all. It is probably due to the way that specific rack mounts."

Is this an accurate statement or is he making this not his problem?

halp!

Attachments

·
14,812 Posts
They're green. The directional (have arrows on them) delete kit panels may use them for tension, but I'm not sure. I've never taken mine off. I know some forum members run wire under the moulding channels.

Some NSSE's did come w/ a rack, mine did not.

Racks use longer bolts than the delete kit, so if you're going back to without, then use the shorter ones.

He made it not his problem, probably due to the high price.

I don't know, are you taking crazy pills? :lol: :cheers:

Stuck in Port, are you referring to the Tsunami where the containers with the racks, sliders and nice tires and wheels ended up being lost at Sea? Yeah, I heard that story too. :lol: Hawaii Special Edition :rolleyes: It was nothing more than a factory build sheet bar coding error that left off certain parts and it was too difficult/too costly for them to disassemble the FJ's to install them after the fact. So they renamed them OPTION PKG #3 , instead of TTSE's, and sold them as is.

I for one loved it like this. No take offs to sell or discard. Build it the way I want it. Besides, who doesn't love steelies? :grin

:wave:

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're green. The directional (have arrows on them) delete kit panels may use them for tension, but I'm not sure. I've never taken mine off.
This is not in reference to the delete kit - these are the four long strips that surround the delete kit that make up the entire drip channel on both sides.

1. I still need to know if I actually need them?
2. Looks like I do have the right parts list. Can anyone confirm if there were any other special edition color options in 2011 BESIDES army green (TTE V67) ? again, this is the NSSE "misprint" with the army green roof.

AND - I love this truck. I would have traded down for the steelies on any other vehicle. This just happens to be the best place to start, aside from the damn rack and drip rails. Its going to cost me 600 bucks to get it back to the way it rolled off the ship. These are not fun parts, I want to spend 600 bucks on the fun parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure that I understood what you want, but you've misunderstood my meaning.

Are the moldings used to support the delete kit panels? Will they be loose without the moldings?

I zoomed it so you can see it. :wink
Ah, ok, I think we are on the same page. I might just roll with the delete kits and nothing else until the fact that something is missing that is supposed to go there starts driving me nuts. Perhaps someone can chime in and say blah blah leaked and ruined my headliner without them or nothing at all adverse happened. This is probably one of those parts that no one even thinks about. I'm wondering if i'm going to experience 500 bucks worth of value or functionality by ordering and installing the parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts