Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
Sorry for the noob question but didn’t know where else to ask.
Cleaning the interior I found my truck only has 3 bolts for the drivers seat! It doesn’t appear to have threads for the rear hole. WTH and any advice?
2012 with 50k miles. I’m the second owner...
Thanks everyone.

this is the passenger side. What it’s supposed to look like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most odd. Did you check under the plastic for a misaligned hole? It will pull out from under the console piece.
I’ll take a look. Can’t image it’s misaligned that much. Thanks for the reply.
I’m wonder when I bought my truck last year the dealer removed the seats to detail it and broke something but not sure how that’s possible after looking at the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
WOW, that is really interesting. I'd like to see more photos, especially as you remove the seat, and the floor covering to reveal what is actually underneath.

From that one photo, it does look as though there's no weld nut, and no mark from a bolt having been there (the shape around the hole in the black seat bracket is hard to tell what that is).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guessing that when the person was removing the bolt the weld nut broke loose. They probably used a cut off wheel to remove the bolt, then the nut and the rest attaching bolt fell inside the body floor panels. I would drill a 7/8 hole through the outer panel with a unibit #4 drill bit, get a factory toyota seat bolt and find a flanged lock nut grade 8 and reinstall though the new access hole. Find a rubber 7/8 body plug first to cap off the hole when your done. With a magnet you should be able to fish out the old nut and bolt so it not rattling around.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
is there any evidence why anyone would have bothered to try to remove the seat, in only 50k miles?

If it has leather, for instance, that is a dealer installed thing, not factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guessing that when the person was removing the bolt the weld nut broke loose. They probably used a cut off wheel to remove the bolt, then the nut and the rest attaching bolt fell inside the body floor panels. I would drill a 7/8 hole through the outer panel with a unibit #4 drill bit, get a factory toyota seat bolt and find a flanged lock nut grade 8 and reinstall though the new access hole. Find a rubber 7/8 body plug first to cap off the hole when your done. With a magnet you should be able to fish out the old nut and bolt so it not rattling around.
That’s a great idea, thanks for taking the time to write out all that info. I don’t know why I didn’t even think of anything like that. I’m in a quarantine state so I have time and that sounds like the best safe repair.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there any evidence why anyone would have bothered to try to remove the seat, in only 50k miles?

If it has leather, for instance, that is a dealer installed thing, not factory.
I bought the truck from a dealer last year. It was clean. I assume they took the seats out to detail it and like the other guy said probably snapped the nut and just put the cover back on it. I’ve never heard the nut rattling in the floor though.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I've never heard of anyone removing a seat to detail the interior (it adds a lot of extra work), is that much additional work a normal part of interior detailing?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've never heard of anyone removing a seat to detail the interior (it adds a lot of extra work), is that much additional work a normal part of interior detailing?
A detailer I know does it for non-electric seats with his "complete" details.
Can't say whether it's more work or not. Maybe it is but it works out when paying for a deep cleaning?
I'll have to remember ask when I see him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's actually only 4 bolts and a plug for the seatbelt chime/occupant detection/airbag. Not a whole lot of extra work there. I pull the seats to put my neoprene covers back on every time I wash them. Missing captured nut sucks though! I'll second the drill and through bolt/nut repair method...

·
トヨタ Master
7,628 Posts
I've never heard of anyone removing a seat to detail the interior
We do it all the time. Particularly with carpeted interiors. My kid won't shampoo them at all if he can't get it all. You'd be surprised at how many M&Ms glue themselves down there.

·
Registered
07 FJ
9 Posts
I'm not sure if this is going to help at all, but I ran into a similar issues installing my ARB rack recently. I tried to thread the bolts in for one corner and the bolt just dropped all the way through with no effort. I later discovered that the threads used for the roof rack aren't actually part of the body, but a threaded insert that was clipped to the body. Perhaps it could be the same here? I'd pull the floor covering up to see if maybe it fell through.

Smart move from Toyota for minimizing the possibility of ripping in-body threads out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Notice you haven`t posted for a week. What did you end up doing? :)
Sorry I didn’t get an email that the post was replied to.
It’s supposed to be spring but the weather is terrible and I became an essential employee so ah yeah I haven’t done anything yet.
Thinking of trying to slide a J-nut in the hole and bolting to that.
Thanks for all the ideas guys. Great forum.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
By the way, if the missing nut is the inboard one, that would mean that you also have no seatbelt.

If it is the outboard side, that's lucky, because the seatbelt on the outboard side is mounted to be body structure, and it can help to hold not only you but also the seat during a frontal impact.
On the inboard side, though, the seatbelt is mounted only to the seat.

Norm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts