Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are hitting Moab before Summit please check in here.

I have never been to Moab but I have been to Summit (in 2008) before. I am wondering how early everyone is getting into the Moab area? Where is the place to stay? Is anyone camping? How soon should I book a place to stay or is camping the way to go? Is there anyone that can/wants to lead some trail runs? I may be heading West from Chicago solo this year so I am down for anything. I love Ouray and I can't wait to get back but I would LOVE to see Moab this time as well. All input is appreciated, I really need to add some trail stickers to the back of my rig from UT. Where do I get stickers from when I am out there? See, I am pretty clueless, everything I know about Moab I learned from YouTube.

As of now I have vacation from July 20th through the 27th, should I try and get more time off to ensure ample time for the slick rock?
Thanks! -Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
There will be a pretty good sized contingent coming in from the east coast the week before the Summit. The Smokey Mountain Cruisers in particular, with some tag along like myself.
Camping is doable but there is plenty of motels available as well. I'm already planning for some trails but will be looking to do some different stuff this year. The last two years we did 'Fins and Things' and 'Hells Revenge' I'm looking to get in the countryside a bit this year. I have a day long route figured that links three scenic trails together like this:

Onion Creek, Fisher Towers(Easy)
to
Rose Garden Hill(Difficult)
to
Top of the World(Difficult)

Any takers?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey, I'd like to meet up with you guys in Moab before the Summit. I was thinking of getting there Sunday evening (the 18th) and wheeling Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning and then heading over to Ouray for the Summit. I'm up for some moderate runs, but definitely looking for harder stuff than the Summit typically offers. (I know they are looking at some different runs this year, just don't know what they are yet.) I've never been to Moab either and someone with some experience would be great.

See you there,

Jeff

·
Registered
235 Posts
My father and I will be out there the 19th and 20th of July. (wheeling both days) then leaving for Ouray the night of the 20th.

I would be up for any group runs :wave:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! I figured there would be some takers. I am down for whatever, I really want to do some moderate to difficult stuff, I love Ouray for the scenery but the challenge can be lacking at times. I just need to keep the FJ drivable back to Illinois at the end of the week is all. Let's keep the info flowing... if there are any other good threads regarding Moab before Summit please post them up in here. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
There will be a pretty good sized contingent coming in from the east coast the week before the Summit. The Smokey Mountain Cruisers in particular, with some tag along like myself.
Camping is doable but there is plenty of motels available as well. I'm already planning for some trails but will be looking to do some different stuff this year. The last two years we did 'Fins and Things' and 'Hells Revenge' I'm looking to get in the countryside a bit this year. I have a day long route figured that links three scenic trails together like this:

Onion Creek, Fisher Towers(Easy)
to
Rose Garden Hill(Difficult)
to
Top of the World(Difficult)

Any takers?
Maybe :)

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Hey GoISU,

I am planning on heading to Moab before the summit. I live in the western subs of Chicago, but will be heading directly from another vacation I will be on with my family in northern Wisconsin. I plan on leaving sat morning in Wisconsin and arriving Sunday sometime basicaly the same thing drcaduceus said.

How difficult are Rose Garden Hill and Top of the World? Would a stock FJ fair well? Might have too look at some vids on youtube when I get home from work, and maybe pick up the book from here.

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
I'm shooting for the 18th for Moab...

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
I'm shooting for the 18th for Moab...
That might be doable for me as well . . . although I'll be going to Cruise Moab in April/May. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
We might be changing our route out to Moab. We are thinking about swinging through 4 corners for a few photo ops.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
17th or 18th.....I'm sure I can take off of work a few day early! There's this beer I never tried when I was in Moab....."Polygamy" Back then I wasn't into the dark beer! then definitely hit up the local micro brewery and have every beer they have on tap!:cheers:

That might be doable for me as well . . . although I'll be going to Cruise Moab in April/May. We'll see.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it possible to hit the following in one short visit to Moab?

*Top of the world picture spot
*Cross the Delores river
*Golden Crack
*Hells Gate
*The "easy" hot tub
Everything I have seen on youtube leads me to believe the above are must see attractions. If these are too widely spaced and logistically impossible please let me know, I would love to hit them all if possible.

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
I'm always good for a trip to "The Top of the World."
Although I think it's a great trail and would love to do it again, I saw a guide book recently that listed it as "Difficult". Moderate, maybe. Fun and scenic, definitely.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
We will be in Moab a few days before Summit:rocker:

·
Registered
234 Posts
July 14 thru 17 Black Hills Cruiser Classic - July 18 thru 23 Moab , Las Vegas , and the north rim thats my plan.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Is it possible to hit the following in one short visit to Moab?

*Top of the world picture spot
*Cross the Delores river
*Golden Crack
*Hells Gate
*The "easy" hot tub
Everything I have seen on youtube leads me to believe the above are must see attractions. If these are too widely spaced and logistically impossible please let me know, I would love to hit them all if possible.
Top O' World and Delores river can be done in conjunction with each other, that is if the river isn't running too high.

Hell's Gate/hot tub are both on the Hells Revenge trail easy as that.

The trails mentioned above could be done in 1 day, but it would be a VERY long day.

Golden crack is another story, you have to set aside a full day to get that obstacle. It is located on the Golden Spike trail that connects Poison Spider to Gold Bar Rim. Leave early in the morning if you plan on doing this, it is a long punishing trail.

-Devin

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not too scared of long, or punishing for that matter. I really need to get my FJ back to Illinois is all. I am scared of the word solo though. I am down for whatever, I have a solidly built FJ (see signature) but I am still running stock bumpers with no winch. Looks like a decent sized crowd for Moab so far...

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
We are planning on a Moab trip during the summit to hit more of the difficult trails this year, Summit is out of my budget since we are moving to Japan, but Moab is cheap and there are a ton of trails I still want to explore, we may just stay there for 2 weeks to meet the before and after crews, Last year we did hells revenge, top o the world(not difficult at all) and gold bar rim, more difficult, but I want to do poison spider, behind the rocks and fins and tings, and a dip in the river is definitly in order again.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts