Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
We are planning on a Moab trip during the summit to hit more of the difficult trails this year, Summit is out of my budget since we are moving to Japan, but Moab is cheap and there are a ton of trails I still want to explore, we may just stay there for 2 weeks to meet the before and after crews, Last year we did hells revenge, top o the world(not difficult at all) and gold bar rim, more difficult, but I want to do poison spider, behind the rocks and fins and tings, and a dip in the river is definitly in order again.
That's what I'm talking about! Moab is a priority for me as well, I have seen Ouray and i loved it but I have never been to Moab. If I am heading West though I do want to hit them both though.

It's only 1,352 mi – about 21 hours 23 mins to Moab according to Google maps. I didn't realize Ouray is only 150 miles from Moab... sweet!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm driving out from Massachusetts and would like to meet out in MOAB with some people. Especially since I don't know the area at all. I haven't decided when i'm leaving but I think it will take me about 3 days to get out there. I don't have much offroading experience either. Hopefully I'll have a passenger for the long drive but right now it looks like it's just me. If anyone would'nt mind a tag along, I would love to join up with a group.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
We are planning on a Moab trip during the summit to hit more of the difficult trails this year, Summit is out of my budget since we are moving to Japan, but Moab is cheap and there are a ton of trails I still want to explore, we may just stay there for 2 weeks to meet the before and after crews, Last year we did hells revenge, top o the world(not difficult at all) and gold bar rim, more difficult, but I want to do poison spider, behind the rocks and fins and tings, and a dip in the river is definitly in order again.
Is it registration costs that are getting you down, or is it accommodations? I'm 95% sure I'll be sleeping in the dirt. After a couple of days I'm sure I'll be forced to tailgun, and I might do better at the raffle if everyone else is forced out of the tent when I plant myself right down in the middle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
any of Y'all passing close by Oklahoma. Im planning on leaving sat morning to Moab, just dont want to be there all alone. If there is a group I would like to bring up the rear and tag along.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Me and a couple buds are planning on leaving that Sat night and driving thru from Dallas..

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
K2, Halleygirl and I are planning on wheeling the new 4Runner Trail in Moab this year. We are arriving on Saturday prior to FJSummit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’m planning on hitting Moab before the summit should be there on the 18th. First time for me so the 18th can’t get here quick enough. It would be nice for one of you veterans to pick a daily meeting place in Moab so all who are coming and would like to wheel as a group can hookup.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I say we meet up the mornign of the 18th. Just to see how many people are out there in there FJ's and maybe we can get some good runs in together.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I'm leaving the West Coast to head to Cruise Moab (registered already) around April 23rd. I was thinking about going to the Summit but don't want to stay out in that area for 2 months are drive back to that area twice in that time. For me, it's 900 miles one-way to Moab and 1100 miles one-way to Ouray.

However, I'll probably hit Ouray after I finish at Moab to check out the town and some of the trails there on my own. Cruise Moab is done on May 2nd and I'll probably roll into Ouray (and camp at the campgrounds in town) sometime during the following week. That will be a lot better IMHO than going during the Summit when the town and surrounding campgrounds and trails will be packed.

Maybe I'll see you on the road. Take care!

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
I’m planning on hitting Moab before the summit should be there on the 18th. First time for me so the 18th can’t get here quick enough. It would be nice for one of you veterans to pick a daily meeting place in Moab so all who are coming and would like to wheel as a group can hookup.
I say we meet up the mornign of the 18th. Just to see how many people are out there in there FJ's and maybe we can get some good runs in together.
We normally have everyone meet up at the City Market. They have a huge lot for parking, people can grab lunch for the trails and they can fuel up if they need to.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We normally have everyone meet up at the City Market. They have a huge lot for parking, people can grab lunch for the trails and they can fuel up if they need to.
It may depend on what trail is planned for that day but what time does everyone start meeting at City Market. I myself am an early riser but an extra hour of sleep is always good.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
It may depend on what trail is planned for that day but what time does everyone start meeting at City Market. I myself am an early riser but an extra hour of sleep is always good.
We always meet around 9am with intentions of leaving for the trails by 10am.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just have have the stock 4wd drive setup in my FJ. That means no locker or A-Trac. I did do the TRAC-hack though. Do you think I might have any problems with the trails in MOAB or Summit? I really want to go there since I'm driving out from MA.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
A-trac is a real asset in Moab but neither A-trac nor a locker is necessary at the Summit. On my last trip out I ran the Kokopelli Trail to Moab and then Fins 'n Things and Poison Spider without ever using a locker.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess I'll have to stick to the easy trails then. I'll try a moderate to see if my truck can handle it. I'm more out to see the scenic sites out there but I would love to say I hit some of the trails while I was there. I'd hate to drive all the way out there and not be able to see what MOAB has to offer. If anyone plans on doing some easy/moderates, I'm down to tag along.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
I guess I'll have to stick to the easy trails then. I'll try a moderate to see if my truck can handle it. I'm more out to see the scenic sites out there but I would love to say I hit some of the trails while I was there. I'd hate to drive all the way out there and not be able to see what MOAB has to offer. If anyone plans on doing some easy/moderates, I'm down to tag along.
What we have done in the past is created groups by skill level and went from there. My group last time start out on Long Canyon to Gemini Bridge to Hell's Revenge.

You should not have any problems take a stock FJ on Fins-n-Things.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts