Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Anyone from Houston area going to Moab before the Summit? I'm thinking about leaving on the 15th to head up to Moab. If the wife and son go they want to ride the Durango - Silverton train while we are in that part of the country. My FJ is stock, although I expect to have the SCUBA mods done by then and have to change out the Dueller HT's to AT's. Any other families interested in the train ride?

·
Registered
28 Posts
We are planning a pre-summit Moab visit also. Plan is Middleton, WI to Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone to Tetons to Moab to Ouray to Great Sand Dunes, CO to Middleton, WI. This year my wife and two young children are making the trip. Last year just my son and I did Moab (Gemini Bridges) then on to Ouray. My FJ is also stock. We only plan on 1 or 2 days at the most in Moab. Would love to do a leisurely (family orientated) run or two.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Looks like we may be hitting Moab/Arches National Park for a couple of days before the Summit. Cant Wait!

·
Registered
496 Posts
What day is everyone going to be in Moab..we have stock and would like to take in a few scenic easy trails and get dusty. Got ATRAC and rock rails so ready to hit it!! When and where peops??

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will be in Moab on the 17th. Bringing the bike and doing "The whole enchilada" wahoo:rocker:, then off to Ouray.......sometime.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Looks like I will hit Moab AFTER Summit this year. If anyone here is considering doing the same I started a thread just like this one for AFTER the Summit. Have fun all, see you in Ouray.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I will be hitting Moab the 19th & 20th. Runing Prichet and some of the Area BFE. I will be in the City parking lot 10:00 on the 19th.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Runing Prichet and some of the Area BFE
I assume you know what you're getting into by tackling Pritchett. To say it's a b!tch would be a profound understatement. I think I was the 2nd FJ to make it through Pritchett (the first was there about a month before me), and without a VERY serious rig along to anchor off of in certain spots I'd have never made it (winch-fest would be an apt description of the day); but I suspect you already know all of this.

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Hey Jim ! In case you haven't seen his FJ - - - > Gallery

He probably has a better-than-average chance of success. :)

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
In case you haven't seen his FJ
That should do it. I will mention though that on the trip that I did it (with a group from Arizona and New Mexico), immediately after arriving in town I was in the parking lot of the Best Western Canyonlands taking my front sway-bar off when a group of HIGHLY modified (which is an understatement) vehicles (Jeeps & Toyotas) pulled into the parking lot. I got to talking to them and asked them what they'd run that day. They said they'd been to Pritchett but hadn't made it through (had to turn around). They said they'd never made it through Pritchett; so that'll give you some idea of what it's like. I'm not saying it can't be done (obviously, since I've done it), I'm just making sure anybody planning on attempting it knows what they're getting themselves into.

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Looks like gnarly stuff. Are there bypasses ?

Bill Burke said he's taken his Toyota Sequoia (same one he brought to Cruise Moab) through Pritchett but no idea on how much winching was done.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Are there bypasses
The last picture IS a bypass (you should see the main obstacle); so even the bypasses are unbelievably difficult. There are anchor points at the top of many (but not all) of the obstacles; so unless there's someone who can actually get up them to anchor off of you can find yourself in big trouble. Pritchett didn't used to be nearly as bad as its gotten the last few years. With all the buggies going through it with 40" tires the ledges that used to be 3' tall are now 5' (or more). The group I did it with (3 years ago) had been through it the year before and only had to winch once. The year we did it we had to winch constantly. I feel certain that Burke had to do a considerable amount of winching when he did it, it's just the nature of the beast these days.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Looks a lot like the Rubicon -- but more wide open! :eek:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I ran Prichet last year and made all except the Rock Pile which I plan on making this year. I was on 37's then and am now on 42's and the rear is 4 linked now and I have stretched the wheel base to 112".

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
You should take some videos. I'd love to see you going over some of those obstacles, if for no other reason than to show the buggy crowd that an FJ can do them (albeit a very highly modified one).

Jim

·
Registered
422 Posts
You should take some videos. I'd love to see you going over some of those obstacles, if for no other reason than to show the buggy crowd that an FJ can do them (albeit a very highly modified one).

Jim
Will do.Most in SOCAL know me from running the HAmmers, She is still not a buggy but getting closer as I go.By the way all of my confidence is in my rig not in driver ability. I'm sure some of the more expierienced drivers could do alot more with her that I can.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I'd love to run Pritchett with you since it'll give me somebody to anchor off of when I can't get up some of the obstacles (not that I'm a defeatist or anything) :). It will depend on what my schedule with the Toyota of Dallas boys winds up being, inasmuch as I'll be showing them Moab for the first time. They would doubtless never forgive me if I took them on Pritchett. Have you done Behind The Rocks. Most of the serious obstacles on it are going down, versus up for all the hard ones on Pritchett. It's a whole different ball game. IMO someone is more likely to sustain damage on it than they would on Pritchett.

Jim

41 - 60 of 80 Posts