Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Have not done Behind the rocks, but I would much rather go up than down I hate the feeling of my back end coming around toward the front you sometimes have to speed up when you want to slow down.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
It's funny how many experienced 4 wheelers, who will go up most anything, REALLY don't like going down technical descents. When I did Behind The Rocks I was with a very experienced group and it was pretty astonishing how many of them experienced some degree of body damage to their vehicle.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm meeting Tim (t2cruiser) in Moab Saturday night (17th) and we'll be doing 2 runs on Sunday; probably Moab Rim and Hell's Revenge. We'll be in the City Market parking lot at 9am Sunday morning if anybody wants to join us. Moab Rim, while not especially difficult, is most assuredly not for the faint of heart.

Jim

·
Registered
210 Posts
So, we're headed out for Moab tomorrow (looks at the clock) wait, later today. Plan on hitting the trails on Monday morning. Is everyone still meeting up at City Market? 9am? Look forward to meeting everyone.

Oh yeah, anybody got a CB channel picked out?

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
There will be a pretty good sized contingent coming in from the east coast the week before the Summit. The Smokey Mountain Cruisers in particular, with some tag along like myself.
Camping is doable but there is plenty of motels available as well. I'm already planning for some trails but will be looking to do some different stuff this year. The last two years we did 'Fins and Things' and 'Hells Revenge' I'm looking to get in the countryside a bit this year. I have a day long route figured that links three scenic trails together like this:

Onion Creek, Fisher Towers(Easy)
to
Rose Garden Hill(Difficult)
to
Top of the World(Difficult)

Any takers?
I'd be surprised if you could make it up Rose Garden Hill from Onion Creek in an FJ. I've seen it more difficult some times than others depending on the year (boulders and trail damage due to 4x4's being the operant differences). Graded road to Top of the World is not difficult. I rate it as moderate at best IF you don't hop your rear end on the ledges. If you do that, you will surely break a rear differential. I've seen it happen twice on that road with FJ's.

However, good luck with the Rose Garden. Let me know how you did at the Summit. I'm curious.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
I just have have the stock 4wd drive setup in my FJ. That means no locker or A-Trac. I did do the TRAC-hack though. Do you think I might have any problems with the trails in MOAB or Summit? I really want to go there since I'm driving out from MA.
A-trac is a real asset in Moab but neither A-trac nor a locker is necessary at the Summit. On my last trip out I ran the Kokopelli Trail to Moab and then Fins 'n Things and Poison Spider without ever using a locker.
A lot depends WHERE you are going in Moab. Some of the trails are not all that tough and others are technically demanding. Kokopelli can be run in 2wd including descending the Rose Garden if you are ginger with your driving. There are other trail options at Moab (pictures earlier on the thread by Jim_D) that you might want to avoid unless you have the right gear on your truck and good spotting.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Mr.D and I will be at City Market this Sunday morning 9am. Looks like Poison Spider and Moab Rim is on the agenda today. Come with or just come by and say hi!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Just checked the weather.... 105 today, 107 tomorrow! No Thanks. Anyone up for a Moab trip in September/October when it cools down?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts

We are here in Moab. JimD and i will again be meeting up at City Market at 9AM Monday. Hell's Revenge is on the agenda. Here's some pictures including my new "4 Door FJ" in action on Poison Spider today, Thanks for the perfect spotting Jim!. And big Thanks to my wife, Kristin, for the great photos!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did some hiking at arches and drove to top of the world on the first day. TOW was amazing.

The second day I hiked some more and did Potash/Shafer switch backs.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Sweet! were all you there before summit?? I know GoISU was there with about 15 of us after summit for the week. We only saw the TTORA guys and some local FJ's

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sweet! were all you there before summit?? I know GoISU was there with about 15 of us after summit for the week. We only saw the TTORA guys and some local FJ's
Yep, it was before the summit. There were 12 FJs on the day long safari (Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, Onion Creek, and Top Of The World trails). Besides us, there were a handful of others in town that were running a couple of other trails. Great times, great people.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts