Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 412 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few people have already mentioned to me that they are excited about doing this in 2014, so here is the official planning thread. :bigthumb: To be clear, this is not part of the FJ Summit. This is just a way get in a few more days of wheeling on your vacation, meet some new faces and get an introduction to Moab if you've never been there before. There are no registration fees and it is not an "organized event", just a bunch of friends getting together to wheel (if any rangers ask :lol: )

We'll be concentrating as much on great scenery and views as we are on great wheeling. Most of you are driving a long ways for this and the Summit and a major breakage would be a big killjoy. There are some good obstacles mixed in with rock crawling, sand washes etc but nothing a skilled driver couldn't do with a stock FJ. Bring your cameras !

We had some good times in 2012 with folks from all over enjoying Kane Creek Canyon, Top of the World, Metal Masher, Poison Spider and Shafer Trail . . . with a bit of the White Rim Road :lol: oops ! :shrug03: In 2013 we hit Long Canyon, Shafer Trail, Hells Revenge, Top of the World, and Elephant Hill.

Link to last years pictures here ---> http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/2013-fjcruiser-summit/169825-moab-before-summit-pictures.html

Bringing the group up to SOB Hill on the Elephant Hill Trail.

The weather in both 2012 and 2013 was good. However, past weather is no guarantee of future weather. Once we get close to trip time, the 15 day weather forecast should give us an idea of whether the Moab weather will be good again or more like Hell. http://www.climate-charts.com/noaa-us2/UT425733.png

I plan to be there on Saturday, Sunday, Monday. I am uncertain of Tuesday due to Summit setup and all but, even if I head out, there may be someone in the group with Moab experience that can guide you around some trails. (FlyJester, Old Sarge?) In addition, depending on which day I have to head over to Ouray for Summit layout, I do have some mostly dirt routes over to Montrose/Ouray/Telluride.

Hope to see you there. :cheers:

It can be really slow getting groups moving in the morning, especially when folks roll in right at the planned departure time and still need to gas-up and run into the store for supplies. Let's plan to meet at 8:30 so we can be on the road to the trail heads at 9:00.

Meeting at City Market, 426 South Main Street (just a few blocks south of downtown and on the east side of hwy 191) - gather on north end of parking area (the left as you drive in) - you can gas up at their gas station and pickup snacks, drinks, ice etc but please get there early enough to allow for all of this so we aren't held up.

In the pic below, City Market is the big white roofed building with the red tag. We will meet on the north side of the parking lot just below the word Grand. Their gas station is just above the word Uranium. Again, make sure to be there early to gas up and buy food and beverages.

Tentative attendance - updated 7-1-14 Please don't ask to be put on the list unless you are pretty confident that you can make it ! C L O S E D
Woodsman (James) Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
Flyjester (Devin) Sun, Mon, Tues
Lmmmmm (Larry) Sun, Mon, Tues
Al (Primer) Sat, Sun, WHITE RIM Mon and Tues
Old Sarge (Curtis) Sat, Sun, WHITE RIM Mon and Tues
w5wi (Dale) Sat, Sun, Mon
LaFJ86
LaFJ86's buddy with Taco
WASP Sun, Mon, Tues
weavinfj Mon, Tues
sandbrees Mon, Tues
Kumba Sat, Sun, Mon
ClarKent1975
deftspyder Sun, Mon, Tues
Chris the Ogre Sun, Mon, Tues
progolfer_20 Sun, Mon, Tues
Treymtn Sun, Mon (two FJs)
lostsoul4438 Sat, Sun, Mon
Lucky Logan Mon, Tues
tlcntx Mon
WALL-E Mon
Capt. Caveman Mon, Tues
jimmiee Sun, Mon, Tues
Antarctican Sun, Mon, Tues
FJMAX Sat, Sun, Mon
TxAggie Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
majic2119 Sun, Mon, Tues
I_FIX_U_UP Sun and WHITE RIM with Sarge
VOODOO71 Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
FJ Moose Mon, Tues
Voight Kampff Tues
NW FJC Tues
Xx_Blackout Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues
tOM Mon, Tues
jimmy buffet - will lead a Top of the World run on Monday
Sippster Tues
High Pockets
Redeemed Mon, Tues
AIX Sat, Sun, Mon
blkhwk Sun WHITE RIM Mon and Tues
Capping off the list right here. C L O S E D

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having done Shafer Trail as a loop two years in a row, I think we'll skip it in 2014 in favor of some of the other trails which we haven't hit lately. Our Sunday run last year was a long one. We ran Long Canyon, Shafer Trail, and Hells Revenge and visited Deadhorse and Island In The Sky. It was just too much in one day for most people. I realize this and am smart enough to know it so I will plan runs to finish well before sunset so we have a little more time off the trail. Also, if anyone is uncomfortable with the terrain or needs spotting we will determine that and line up for the trail so you are behind someone that is experienced and capable of spotting. We had a couple last year on Hells Revenge that I should have organized a little differently at the trail head and it slowed us down quite a bit until we reorganized the group. Live and learn. :thinkerg: :shrug03:

Again, trails we did in 2012 or 2013 include the following and they are all worth consideration.
Kane Creek Canyon
Top of the World
Metal Masher
Poison Spider
Shafer Trail (can be done as a loop with Long Canyon)
Long Canyon
Hells Revenge
Elephant Hill

Additional trails to consider include.
Fins 'n' Things (sort of a beginner's version of Hells Revenge)(can easily be done with Hells Revenge or Porcupine Rim)
Gold Bar Rim
Porcupine Rim
Dome Plateau
Gemini Bridges (short trip)(can easily be done with Metal Masher)
LaSal Pass/Geyser Pass

I think everyone enjoyed the trail we ran on Monday last year. Elephant Hill, which I've run many times including in the dark, is just the really cool beginning to a great trail which includes steps, washes, Devil's Kitchen, SOB Hill, old rock art, a short hike to view the Confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers and more. It is over an hour south west of Moab in the southern entrance to Canyonlands. You weren't going to do anything else that day were you ? I consider it a must-do if you haven't before. Unfortunately, dogs are not permitted in Canyonlands backcountry so folks with dogs CANNOT do this run. I think stock rigs can do this but lift, sliders and skids are still recommended.

A few cool shots from last year.

Group shot along the Shafer Trail switchbacks on Sunday

Bringing the group up the first big climb on Hells Revenge

Climbing back up the backside of Elephant Hill on Monday before returning to Moab for a group meal

All Pro Tacoma posing ass-end-to-the-wind at Top of the World on Tuesday

All Pro Tacoma coming back down from Top of the World on Tuesday

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
How can you have tentative attendance and only be on the list if we are 100% sure we can make it .... so ....

I'm tentatively sure I will be there. :)

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can you have tentative attendance and only be on the list if we are 100% sure we can make it .... so ....

I'm tentatively sure I will be there. :)
:lol: I'm in the process of editing.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I think Poison Spider would be fun to do. That's a good run with plenty of obstacles.

I always love Top of the World. I think we can get you over the edge this time.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got both of you down. Please also let me know which days each of you are planning on. Last year I had several down for Sat and only one showed.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I'm all in. Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues

·
Registered
606 Posts
We are planning to attend the FJ Summit and would like to do Moab on Monday and Tuesday. Traveling on trails to the Summit on Tuesday would be great.

Mr & Mrs WASP
Alabama

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Even though I hate to commit to things this far in advance, if everything goes as planned, I can be there Sun., Mon., and Tues., maybe even for the Saturday later in the afternoon/evening.

Trails??...that is always a conundrum...tough, easy, medium, longer single trail all day, shorter multiple trails per day, etc... Which ever trails are chosen they are all scenic.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
:lol: Just now seeing this! I plan on being there as well. I'm good with skipping Top of the World, with all the erosion I'm tired of it just beating me to death on the way down.......yeah yeah I know! :simmadown: One of the things I still want to do is the full trip on White Rim and camp by the river for a night. I'm sure the entire group won't want to do this but if a couple of folks are game! :bigthumb: I should be there on my regular Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue and maybe Wednesday. I think Tanya has also rented the same house that she did last year, so if anybody needs a room hit her up. I have my spot reserved in the driveway!:lol: It was a nice drive through the La Sal mountains to Ouray, scenery much like Ouray!

In 2011 I did Poison Spider, Porcupine Rim, Gold Bar Rim, I was a great run! However it rain off and on and made for a very long day! 13 hours to do 20 miles! :ninja: Be prepared....oh yeah, that was the second time I tore off my front factory bumper :rofl:!

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a certain challenge with the trail selection because 1) We have those that came to Moab in '12 and or '13 that have already run many of the trails listed and 2) We will have new folks that have never been to Moab and all the trails will be a new experience to them.

As we get closer and see who signs up, we can get a better idea what trails to run.

Curtis, if you want to run White Rim Road at this time (the days prior to the Summit) you may want to start a separate thread looking for "trail mates". Having that discussed here will just add unnecessary posts on this thread.

As for the house, if we were talking about a house with a pool I'd be very interested. :D Otherwise, I'll probably stick with my li'l cabin on the Colorado River.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'm good with pretty much whatever trails that we come up with. I certainly don't mind repeating most of these trails! Most of the ones listed I have done at least once but not all of them. I'm am curious how the Jeep Liberty will do? :lol:

I think everyone was well please with the itinerary you came up with last year! :bigthumb: Looking forward to see what comes up! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
I got both of you down. Please also let me know which days each of you are planning on. Last year I had several down for Sat and only one showed.
I totally misread the thread. Thought this was part if the summit. Please -1 FJ and -1 Jeep Liberty. Be safe. Look forward to lots of good pictures and stories when you arrive.

Anyone staying at the Victorian Inn?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
What a great time we had last year. I don't have plans at this point to head down this summer but I am definitely subscribing to this thread just in case things open up for me. would love to do it again!

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I totally misread the thread. Thought this was part if the summit. Please -1 FJ and -1 Jeep Liberty. Be safe. Look forward to lots of good pictures and stories when you arrive.

Anyone staying at the Victorian Inn?
Removed you from the list. You're welcome if you change your mind. There are always lots of Summit folk at the Victorian.

What a great time we had last year. I don't have plans at this point to head down this summer but I am definitely subscribing to this thread just in case things open up for me. would love to do it again!
Last year was good and you are welcome back if you find the time. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
We will be leaving on Saturday the 12th, arriving in Moab on Sunday evening. Plan to wheel Monday and Tuesday, then head to Ouray on Wednesday...staying at the Victorian.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I will do what I can to reschedule my drill weekend so we can make it to Moab, not sure yet.
Hey t0m! No excuses buddy!:blueblob: You slacked on us last year :lol:!

James, add me to your list plz! I'll get with Primer to see what days he wants to do White Rim.

1 - 20 of 412 Posts