Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

321 - 340 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm heading out in the morning too, but in the morning (my drive is a bit longer than yours). Was hoping to mow the lawn before I left, but now it is raining. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
8,022 Posts
Is there video of this obstacle? I'm thinkin' I've seen it before, and IDK if I'm willing to do it.

I like both... the scenic trails, and they somewhat challenging trails, but again, no lift, no armor, and stock BFG's here.
Headed down at about 0:40 in James' little video from 2 years ago. During a quick race up to the top to meet and camp with Deb before sunset. Memorable year...

https://youtu.be/HCwA2q6Qb2I

After that drop off the footage is of another trail.

·
Vendor
2,135 Posts
Lee I am bummed you are not going to make it .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Lee I am bummed you are not going to make it .
Me too. I was really looking forward to it. Maybe if we have another gettogether later in the season... Besides Moab, I was really wanting to see all the National Parks.

My previous post. I was going to take pictures of a couple pages from my MOAB book for CRAW but realized it said no duplication of any sort. I deleted the post.

Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails is a great book. Third edition. I've been all over it preparing for Moab. I even have our GAIA set to the same GPS type settings as the book.

Love the pictures you guys are posting. :smile

Lee

·
Vendor
2,135 Posts
Thorn rolled into the Skunk Den tonite. Tomorrow should be Good . I am seeing a bunch of FJs in town

Reactions: debFJVT and bazross

·
Registered
903 Posts
I scrubbed the engine bay, transmission housing,differentials, and transfer case this afternoon. I got into some thick nasty mud a few weeks ago and every time I hit the FJ with a hose gobs of mud come off the FJ and dirt covers the driveway when the water dries. Tonight I scrubbed it all off so the mud won't hold in Moab heat and make me overheat. I topped off the radiator and overflow bottle with coolant and turkey bastered the brake master cylinder empty and refilled it with fresh brake fluid. I also made the final wiring connections to my new rear fuse block and new rear mounted ARB compressor. I was impressed with how fast the ARB can top off a tire. The onboard air was a good investment.

The FJ is all loaded and ready to hit the road. I work every day from 5am to 2pm, so tomorrow I'll be on the road by 2 at the latest. I'll probably get antsy and take a few vacation hours and leave early tomorrow. I have a 5-6 hour drive to Moab from work so I should have enough sunlight left to find a campsite and set up camp in the sunset.

I'll see everyone Friday morning.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I only have stock 265/70R16's... and I wanted to try TOW. Can I go around said "ledge?" :mecry:
You can do it Ramon. I did two years ago on 285's. It's like a mini wall. Conditions will always change because of the amount of vehicles that run it every year. It's hell with a manual trans.
When I did it, the secondary rout was even worse.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
I did TOTW in 2015. I had 275/75/17 tires and a 3" lift. I had skids but my sliders hadn't arrived in time for the trip so I had the stock running boards on my FJ. The drive to the trailhead is beautiful. The trail starts mellow then becomes a climb up stair-like ledges, one after another, for the last mile or so. Going up ledge after ledge after ledge was grueling to me and I didn't enjoy it at all. I was solo, so I had to keep getting out of the FJ to look at each ledge and find the best line, then get back in and drive it. It took all day to get up and back down. I think I spent 30 minutes on that big ledge. I was having trouble even in 4LO with ATRAC and rear lockers. I was about to give in and back out of there until I could turn around but on my last attempt I got up it. The view at the top is nice and the photo is cool, but personally I think there are many other places around Moab to get just as dramatic of a cliff edge photo without spending all day creeping along. On the way down I remember just being done with the whole thing. It was the first and only time I wanted to get off a trail as soon as possible. I hated it. I had a CURT aftermarket hitch then, one of the tubular ones that hangs down below the rear bumper, and I don't remember scraping it at all on the way down. I did take a lot of skid plate hits on the trail and I bent the hell out of my running boards on both sides. That's the only trail I can say I did once and I have no desire to ever do again.

Here's one of the smaller ledges.

I think this is my flex when my front tires were down the big problem ledge. This tire is off the ground.

I hated that trail so much those are the only two photos I took except for at the top. Normally I'll take a few hundred photos on a long trail run.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
Hey everyone, I’ve been camping and unable to get internet but will be in hotel starting Friday night. All is well and totally stoked about Mb4S “starting” Saturday :grin

7pm Friday meet for dinner or whatever at restaurant Fiesta Mexicana on corner of Main and 200th

Saturday morning meet at City Market by 8am for the first Mb4S run! :blueblob:

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Meeting at City Market this morning?

Edit: I just read we are meeting starting Sat. No worries. Running solo to Onion Creek. If anyone wants to join my # 2o1-983_8i54 - Clyde.

·
Vendor
2,135 Posts
Ketchup we can meet at 8 fri

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son and I will be pulling into Moab Saturday midday. We plan on meeting up Sunday at 8:00 at the market. See ya all then.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Anyone going out for dinner tonight? The BluPig is always good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,135 Posts
We just got off the trail
If you want to stop by we are all camping at the first camp ground at sand flat. Just past the baby lions back

·
Vendor
2,135 Posts
Ok we got in late tonite so Deb and I will meet at the City mart at 9 am on Friday . See you all in the morning

321 - 340 of 371 Posts