Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My best friend and I are planning a 12 day road trip from Chicago --> Denver--> Moab--> Zion National Park--> Las Vegas--------> Chicago. We'll be taking my FJ. Most of the trip is going to be pretty easy going with hotels and hiking in the day time at national parks or just checking out the city. I'm very new to off roading however i've seen that Moab has all sorts of offroad 4x4 trails. I'm interested in doing some short offroad trails just to get my feet wet however I'd welcome any tips/direction on good beginner trails that I could check out during my 2 days in Moab.

My FJ (TTUE) is basically stock but I was planning on picking up some basic recovery gear - straps, d-bolts.

Any trails/areas that are recommended for a beginner to offroading in Moab? Any recovery gear that you would recommend for a beginner?

I did some research and did come across the following trail that seemed "beginner".
  • Onion Creek and Fisher Towers
I'd welcome any feedback from this audience as well.

Thanks!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, especially in an FJ! My favorite easy-but-spectacular Moab offroad routes to recommend are loops. Take Gemini Bridges up and Long Canyon back to Moab. Another longer loop is Potash Road which goes up the famous Shaffer Switchbacks to the entrance of Canyonlands NP, then an easy return again via Long canyon. Check out FunTrek’s 3rd edition offroad trail guide book to Moab with descriptions tied to exact odometer readings. As for equipment, I’d highly recommend an air compressor, as airing down to 20psi will make your time on the bumpy trails immensely more comfortable!

·
Admin
7,661 Posts
x2 on a compressor and airing down.

Even if you don't have a compressor.... stay aired down for the entire time and then air up when you are all done.... just keep the speeds low on the highway.

Reactions: thussain93

·
Admin
7,661 Posts
I would also do Fins and Things.... some cool inclines and descents.... nothing overly hard.... take your time and use your gears on the descents (1st gear).

Wouldn't hurt to partner up with someone with some experience though...

Reactions: Lee44

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,485 Posts
Chicken Corner

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a great trip, especially in an FJ! My favorite easy-but-spectacular Moab offroad routes to recommend are loops. Take Gemini Bridges up and Long Canyon back to Moab. Another longer loop is Potash Road which goes up the famous Shaffer Switchbacks to the entrance of Canyonlands NP, then an easy return again via Long canyon. Check out FunTrek’s 3rd edition offroad trail guide book to Moab with descriptions tied to exact odometer readings. As for equipment, I’d highly recommend an air compressor, as airing down to 20psi will make your time on the bumpy trails immensely more comfortable!
Great thanks! and yes I just picked up a Viair air compressor for the trip, definitely glad I got one now!

·
Registered
79 Posts
We did Moab for the first time this summer and ended up staying 2 extra days because
we had so much fun exploring. We started out with Deb's suggestion on trails to get our feet
wet and found the trails easy but amazingly beautiful. I highly recommend Onion Creek, it is so
beautiful and I will definately visit it when I go back.
You have to eat at Milt's sammich shop, great food and shakes. We also really liked the
Blue Pig for BBQ.
Have a great trip!
P.S. No need to air down on Potash Rd. or Onion Creek.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We did Moab for the first time this summer and ended up staying 2 extra days because
we had so much fun exploring. We started out with Deb's suggestion on trails to get our feet
wet and found the trails easy but amazingly beautiful. I highly recommend Onion Creek, it is so
beautiful and I will definately visit it when I go back.
You have to eat at Milt's sammich shop, great food and shakes. We also really liked the
Blue Pig for BBQ.
Have a great trip!
P.S. No need to air down on Potash Rd. or Onion Creek.
Thanks for the tips! and will def check out both food places :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
We were just there a couple weeks ago and had a great first time. We did not do Potash/Shafer, but did do Pucker Pass it was beautiful and easyI think these two would make a nice loop and give you a good day. Here is us coming down Pucker Pass:

IMG_1223.jpeg

We also did Fins and Things and found it challenging enough to get the heart rate up it starts easy, but gets more challenging as you go. Later we did Hells Revenge and found it quite challenging - we dodged the hardest obstacles, but still engaged the sliders a couple times.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've only done Fins and Things in my stock 2012 TTSE, and with @debFJVT's help my wife and I drove it successfully with no damage. Fun times! We still talk about it like it was yesterday. I only wish we would have planned for more time in Moab (short trip out and back from Iowa), but we had other sights to see in a short amount of time.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,177 Posts
Yeah the book as mentioned earlier is great! Very informative and clear, and that list of trails posted are not only ranked by difficulty in the 3 columns, but they get harder as you go down the columns, so you can really pick your difficulty! Have fun!

·
Registered
890 Posts
+1 on Gemini Bridges, Onion Creek, and Chicken Corners. Potash Road to Shaffer Butte isn't technically challenging, but I look at those pictures more than all other trail pics put together. A huge +1 on this combo. We loved visiting Secret Spire too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good advice on here, some of which I wish I had when I visited. I’d advise downloading trail maps prior to heading out. You’ll be out of cell range a lot of the time. My first trail was Potash to Shafer switchbacks. They aren’t difficult, just stay in low gear. It’s pretty intense, the first time driving down the cliff face. Can’t wait to return.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd also like to try that trip. I've owned several Jeeps and I feel that my stock TTUE is quite a capable ride the way it is. Please report back.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'd also like to try that trip. I've owned several Jeeps and I feel that my stock TTUE is quite a capable ride the way it is. Please report back.
An inch or two of lift goes a long way in Moab, especially if you are getting into the more moderate to difficult trails, otherwise yes you should be just fine.

Reactions: Winterpeg

·
Registered
2010 Toyota FJ Trail Teams
56 Posts
Hi everyone,

My best friend and I are planning a 12 day road trip from Chicago --> Denver--> Moab--> Zion National Park--> Las Vegas--------> Chicago. We'll be taking my FJ. Most of the trip is going to be pretty easy going with hotels and hiking in the day time at national parks or just checking out the city. I'm very new to off roading however i've seen that Moab has all sorts of offroad 4x4 trails. I'm interested in doing some short offroad trails just to get my feet wet however I'd welcome any tips/direction on good beginner trails that I could check out during my 2 days in Moab.

My FJ (TTUE) is basically stock but I was planning on picking up some basic recovery gear - straps, d-bolts.

Any trails/areas that are recommended for a beginner to offroading in Moab? Any recovery gear that you would recommend for a beginner?

I did some research and did come across the following trail that seemed "beginner".
  • Onion Creek and Fisher Towers
I'd welcome any feedback from this audience as well.

Thanks!

No Houston, Texas ?? ⚛

1 - 17 of 17 Posts