Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a quick trip down to Moab this weekend with an FJ loaded with friends. What would be some good quick obstacle or trail recommendations for a solo rig?

..or if anyone is going down this Saturday or Sunday morning I would love to meet you for this quick run. I have a winch, and we can take turns spotting, but I am thinking a 1 or 2 hour event, not a full day. This won't necessarily be the focus of the trip, maybe something we do on the way to some hikes.

Thank you! :clap::cheers::clap:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey Delray you sure are lucky to be going back to Moab. Wish it wasn't a six hour drive from here. As to your question, Fins and Things was a lot of fun and really close to town. There were also a lot of places to get back out to the road if you decided to. Everyone said that it was easy to get lost, but it wasn't that bad to navigate. I would say the first part that lies south of sand flats road is probably the easiest to find your way on and not all that long.

Have fun,

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I was going to mention Fins and things too. I did half of it on Sunday...took about an hour and half with lunch

·
Registered
468 Posts
Area BFE....:)

The trails are all very short, and you will definitly need your winch and armored vehicle for most trails. You can also try Potatoe Salad Hill as well as a diversion.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks people for your generous responses. I will check out fins, and do a little research on area BFE!

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Yes, Fins N Things is the way to go. Easy to follow, easy trail yet a few places to "push it" if ya want. Careful if you decide to do Potatoe Salad Hill, many a vehicle have been damaged on that climb.

·
Registered
403 Posts
When you get into town, buy "Moab, UT Backroads& 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells.

Pretty much the bible of the trail systems, with accurate descriptions. Just remember, as with all nature, things change all the time.

My 2 favorite obstacle are "The Wedgie" and "The Launch Pad" (my avatar and sig)

Have a great time!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fins and Things was great...except my differential blew up. I am now part of that elite group. I had 4 passengers in the car and we are not actually doing anything that fanatical, pretty mild fin actually. We were in a sandy area when I started getting that pop and pull. Scary feeling. We hobbled back to Sandhill Road and over to the Slick Rock parking lot. I called info for a tow company and the only one they found was closed. A guy (Mark?) who owns the Bridgestone tire there in Moab stopped and told us to call his friend KL (Kael?) at National. KL really helped us out. U-haul was also closed but he persuaded someone there to open up the computer and get us an auto transport trailer and a truck to haul it. There was no car rentals open either after about 2pm, so we sat 5 people in the only bench seat in the truck. The 9 year old was on a lap, shared seatbelts and I was going to beg for mercy if we got pulled over.

Oh yes. The trip was awesome though!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Fins and Things was great...except my differential blew up. I am now part of that elite group. I had 4 passengers in the car and we are not actually doing anything that fanatical, pretty mild fin actually. We were in a sandy area when I started getting that pop and pull. Scary feeling. We hobbled back to Sandhill Road and over to the Slick Rock parking lot. I called info for a tow company and the only one they found was closed. A guy (Mark?) who owns the Bridgestone tire there in Moab stopped and told us to call his friend KL (Kael?) at National. KL really helped us out. U-haul was also closed but he persuaded someone there to open up the computer and get us an auto transport trailer and a truck to haul it. There was no car rentals open either after about 2pm, so we sat 5 people in the only bench seat in the truck. The 9 year old was on a lap, shared seatbelts and I was going to beg for mercy if we got pulled over.

Oh yes. The trip was awesome though!

OH NO!! Not again. I'm getting paranoid to take mine anywhere! Glad you made it home, though.

Being one of, if not THE biggest auto manufacturer, I think it's time for Toyota to step it up, and not just fix 'em as they come in. Obviously there is a problem with the diff, what are they waiting for? This is happening to too many, and too often. They should reimburse you for the u-haul, etc.

Kathie

·
Registered
426 Posts
Now I feel bad about recommending Fins and Things. Glad you were able to get out though. Hope it goes well with the replacement

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Don't feel bad! It was waaaaay cool. I am going right back out there with a different crew in a few weeks. There were a lot of things in a short stretch. The perfect 2 hour tour...as long as you have an '08 differential.

You speak truth Gericurl76. It will definitely be a more memorable trip just because of it.

The only thing I hated was my posse hearing the tow truck driver (and our savior) saying "I wouldn't take one of those things (FJ) if you gave it to me!".

OUCH!! He had hauled quite a few out of "them thar hills". I think they are a target of attention being new and funny looking an all. Realistically, if you took the other makes and added them in, I bet they are not a majority. It is this one issue that is dirtying the FJ's rep.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts