Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will go first . While out site seeing with DebFJVT. I got some more scuffs on my plastic bumper. Anyone break anything or need help with parts or repairs ?

Reactions: Lee44

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Better be pictures! >:D

Reactions: BOBTAILFJ

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know DFW photoguy tried out a new Prototype rapid air deflation system .

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ran over a magic octopus who installed a passenger-side sway bar disconnect modification on Flat Iron Mesa.

(I broke a sway bar link and it shredded the CV boot and then flung black grease everywhere.)

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
100% success rate! From 19 psi to 0 in 1 second. Rear diff was leaking something fierce, 4 screws and a new seal. Plastic kick panel on the driver door is loose, thinking about insurance claim total it.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doing my nightly inspection . And just noticed I caught my rear lower link skid on something . Easy fix and glad they did there job .

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Doing my nightly inspection . And just noticed I caught my rear lower link skid on something . Easy fix and glad they did there job .
Are we counting "armor getting hit" as "trail damage?" In that case, man, my rear lower link skids got buzzcuts!

P.S.

Does anybody have an idea what's going on with my battery? It didn't have those little black leakage bits when I set out 4 days ago... I can wipe the blackish stuff off with a great deal of force. Not sure if it counts as "damage."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Are we counting "armor getting hit" as "trail damage?" In that case, man, my rear lower link skids got buzzcuts!

P.S.

Does anybody have an idea what's going on with my battery? It didn't have those little black leakage bits when I set out 4 days ago... I can wipe the blackish stuff off with a great deal of force. Not sure if it counts as "damage."
Sealed Maint Free battery? Crack? :( or just jostled a bunch?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,143 Posts
100% success rate! From 19 psi to 0 in 1 second. Rear diff was leaking something fierce, 4 screws and a new seal. Plastic kick panel on the driver door is loose, thinking about insurance claim total it.
So glad you’re all fixed! Don’t forget about your Demello slider badge I picked up on the trail :lol:

Witnessed 2 more rapid deflation maneuvers today on Golden Spike...both Duratracs...

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,143 Posts
Ran over a magic octopus who installed a passenger-side sway bar disconnect modification on Flat Iron Mesa.

(I broke a sway bar link and it shredded the CV boot and then flung black grease everywhere.)
OMG that’s painful...I’ve sliced 3 cv boots that way so check my links often. Was tightening them today on the trail. But you installed a new boot on the trail in the heat?? Wow, I’m impressed!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts

P.S.

so long as it doesnt make it down to the metal body below the tray youll be ok. Otherwise youll get some damage after a while. Looks to simply be leaking.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts

Firedog - That’s an interesting way for the link to fail - right in the center of the shank. I would have thought it more likely to fail at a weld. I can’t tell from the photos, does it look like the link was bent at the fracture location?

Was the failure associated with sudden severe impact, or some other event that would have applied a shock load to the suspension?

Or just a normal day at Moab, with the broken link detected by sudden softness at the passenger side, an odd sound, or not detected at all until seen by someone?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts

That always sucks. To prevent it sucking more, whenever I need to remove a wheel using the Hi-lift on the trail I also remove the spare and stack it and the wheel I removed under the frame, just in case. Always better to be safe than sorry :bigthumb:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sealed Maint Free battery? Crack? :( or just jostled a bunch?
Yes, a sealed AGM "dry" battery from Odyssey.

so long as it doesnt make it down to the metal body below the tray youll be ok. Otherwise youll get some damage after a while. Looks to simply be leaking.
They aren't supposed to leak, are they? Is that just a thing it does now, or do I need to replace it?

But you installed a new boot on the trail in the heat?? Wow, I’m impressed!
Nah, we just removed the sway bar links so they wouldn't get caught in anything else. The trail leader actually had a spare CV boot but judged it wasn't necessary to apply it right then and there on the trail. I'll be wheeling FJ Summit with the boot off, and replacing it when I get home.

Firedog - That’s an interesting way for the link to fail - right in the center of the shank. I would have thought it more likely to fail at a weld. I can’t tell from the photos, does it look like the link was bent at the fracture location?

Was the failure associated with sudden severe impact, or some other event that would have applied a shock load to the suspension?

Or just a normal day at Moab, with the broken link detected by sudden softness at the passenger side, an odd sound, or not detected at all until seen by someone?
Somebody in the group was making a weird chemical smell, and so I checked in and around me for suspicious fluids and noticed the grease explosion. Didn't notice it when it happened; didn't notice a change in ride quality.

Someone else on the trail run summarized things pretty well while waiting for a couple rigs to catch up: "I hear what sounds like a constant string of car accidents heading our way." The CV shaft probably could've been yelling "help me" and I wouldn't have heard it over the normal suspension noise :D

That always sucks. To prevent it sucking more, whenever I need to remove a wheel using the Hi-lift on the trail I also remove the spare and stack it and the wheel I removed under the frame, just in case. Always better to be safe than sorry :bigthumb:
Yeah, I usually always at least put the removed wheel under the frame, but it slipped my mind, as you can see.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I will go first . While out site seeing with DebFJVT. I got some more scuffs on my plastic bumper. Anyone break anything or need help with parts or repairs ?

A pair of 5 month old Radflo long travel shocks blew seals-
Radflo- Curtis hooked me up with Alpine 4x4 in Montrose. I paid to have a set of seals over nighted( didn’t realize both were blown) and one side rebuilt and then Glenn- yup that Glenn from Radflo stops by on his way to Summit with one brand new shock!! Very nice!
Got my brains rattled on Spike Ravine with no rear shocks. Back in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was that you in you green Fj this morning that pulled through the city mart parking lot ?

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All these Fj’s and I still
Have no idea who is who

Reactions: FatJohnson

·
Registered
6 Posts
How serious are these trails you all are running that cause these damages? I'll be out in Moab next weekend with my new OME kit installed (and maybe some rock sliders, but no other armor). I'm thinking we'll do some of the Arches trails into the back country to avoid the crowds, plus I hear they aren't particularly challenging. (Particularly Willow Springs, Eye of the Whale, and Tower Arch.) I'm pretty green and while we want to have fun, I don't want to destroy my DD either. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts