Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Moab Junky's Adventures

25K views 113 replies 21 participants last post by  debFJVT 
#1 · (Edited)
Here I will post pics and info about some of the adventures we have enjoyed in our 2010 FJ Cruiser. I will try to accurately describe the trails and the amount of difficulty we encountered so that it may be beneficial to other members. Please feel free to ask questions, ask for directions, comments or add your own experiences on these particular trails or areas in here at any time.

Current mods: 3" lift. Tires are 285/70/17 BFG AT's. Everything else is stock. FJ does have a rear locking differential.

This is where we spent our first night in our 2010 FJ. We pulled in late at night so were not picky about the perfect spot. This is in the Mill Canyon area just south of the Moab airport. There are lots of super off road opportunities in this area.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

This is in Long Canyon, just north west of Moab. A very easy trail, but beautiful and worth the trip. We did this and Gemini Bridges the same day.
Rock Formation Wadi Geology Vehicle

A view nearing the top of Long Canyon.
Off-roading Mountainous landforms Vehicle Car Mountain

Enjoying the desert north of Grand Junction, Colorado.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Toyota fj cruiser

Elk hunting in the Colorado high country. I slept in the back three nights in a row. Low temps between 10 and 25 degrees. My water bottles inside the FJ did not freeze.
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Snow

This is on the potash/ Schaefer Switchback trail just N.W. of Moab, looking down on the Colorado River. This is where they filmed part of the movie, Thelma and Louise. This trail is very easy. The switchbacks are tight and steep, but a Subaru could easily do it.
Mountainous landforms Wadi Badlands Formation Canyon

And the other direction.
Water resources Formation Canyon Water Badlands

The bluff in the distance is Dead Horse Point. This photo was taken from the same place as the two previous.
Badlands Rock Formation Outcrop Mountainous landforms

Our FJ was not the biggest kid on the block.
Mode of transport Vehicle Wadi Transport Automotive tire

Running Dome Plateau trail, just N.E. of Moab with forum members Sweptwingnut. The hi tech pics were taken by them. This trail is quite easy with 3 inches of lift. Lots of side roads, so GPS is helpful.
Rock Vehicle Off-roading Car Wadi

Posing on the slick rock. Fanny dragging.
Off-roading Vehicle Automotive tire Car Tire

Laboca Arch. Getting here was the hardest part of the trail.
Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior Snow

This was probably the most challenging obstacle on the entire trail.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Tire

Some neat old houses near some mines built out of rail road ties.
Geological phenomenon Soil Tree Rural area Landscape

Automotive tire Vehicle Wall Car Tire

A gravel pile calling my name. Three attempts to get on top. Real loose.
Vehicle Automotive tire Car Tire Off-roading

See less See more
#85 · (Edited)
A very special day indeed.

Natural arch Formation Arch Rock Wadi

So, that is an example of the little league stuff that goes on down here.

This is where it get down right ridiculous.

See this flat iron face?? Josh and his buddies actually jump off of it with their chutes on their backs.

Want another example of CRAZY??? There are two men climbing that rock in this picture.

Badlands Formation Mountainous landforms Rock Outcrop

A zoomed in picture.

Rock Formation Badlands Outcrop Geology

All of these things are dangerous and come with risks. I try to keep the variables to a minimum. That being said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I understand and respect the desire and absolute NEED these guys have for doing what they do.

Another trip when the gnats were out of control.

Backpacking Geology Recreation Adventure Tourism

Another day roping with my Daughter.

Rock Formation Wadi Badlands Fault

Climbing Adventure Formation Wadi Rock

#87 ·
I just read through all 9 pages... WOW, thank you for posting this! Makes me feel great about buying my FJ (about a week ago) and starting to mod it. Can't wait to get it out on the trails and start my own adventures with my wife and son.

#88 ·
You are very welcome and congrats on your new FJ. Thanks for taking the time to read it and I'm glad you found it useful. I hope you and your family are able to enjoy many memorable outings together. Even a bone stock FJ can do many of the types of adventures we go on.

Take care, MJ

#90 ·
You have a very brave son... Haha. Great pictures, and looks like you had a blast!
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks Matt, ya I thought I had a wild childhood, He puts me to shame. He jumped off that face over 20 times during the past 5 years. I don't have a rope long enough for that one.

#91 · (Edited)
I was going through some of our pics and found this picture that Sweptwingnut took on the Dome Plateau trail in Moab. I just love this pic. We were standing inside the cabin looking out the old window. Thanks Bud!!

Motor vehicle Wall Vehicle Picture frame Car

#92 · (Edited)
Yesterday we bought some new tires (Cooper STT PRO in 285/70/17) so the pup and I went out in the desert near our home to try them out and see some pretty (to us) country.

The ground was frozen and we received a few inches of fresh snow.

Automotive tire Off-roading Tire Vehicle Off-road vehicle

As usual, we had the place to ourselves.

Snow Winter Automotive tire Freezing Tire

The desert is beautiful this time of year,

Snow Winter Freezing Tree Sky

Snow Winter Badlands Formation Wilderness

Badlands Mountainous landforms Mountain Snow Wilderness

Lots of ice floating down the Mighty Colorado river.

Snow Winter Sky Water River

I think we're going to like these new treads. I'll be sure to post my findings.

#93 ·
This morning we left before the sun came up to get out and look for some Bull Elk. The higher we climbed the deeper the snow got.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Here my Buddy is scoping out the surroundings. We ended up seeing 2 DANDY Bull Elk.

Snow Winter Vehicle Automotive tire Freezing

Lots of snow. There was over three feet of base. It goes to show just how tough these majestic animals are. The bulls ran off before we could get a picture of them. It was beautiful out there.

Snow Winter Freezing Geological phenomenon Glacial landform

This was the end of our forward progress, lol.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Snow

On this slippery 22 mile off road journey, we were pleasantly impressed with the FJ's abilities. No chains were required, loving this rig for these types of adventures.

Snow Mountainous landforms Mountain Winter Geological phenomenon

#95 ·
Agreed, the snow really makes it look like an entirely different place. And yes, the tires are doing great. Thanks for looking Brotha!!

#96 · (Edited)
With the weather breaking and all, I must include some of our favorite camping pictures. Lake Powell.

Mountainous landforms Natural landscape Badlands Wadi Formation

Body of water Water Water transportation Lake Water resources

Body of water Rock Natural landscape Formation Wadi

DiCaprio's got nothing on me. (Except $217 mil)

Soil Leg Sand Geology Foot

#98 · (Edited)
What you doing with your wife's sandals?
>:D
Ohhhh the evidence. (She was buried next to the dog.....oops)

Soil Geology Sand Archaeology

Just to keep PETA off my arse, I really didn't bury my dog alive. Well, yes I did, but she survived.

Dog Canidae Dog breed Carnivore Sporting Group

#99 ·
DSC00913.jpg

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00373.jpg

Attachments

#105 · (Edited)
We just returned from the Moab Jeep Safari 2016. This was the 50 year anniversary and it did not disappoint. We camped out in the desert, it was crowded but we still found a great spot.

Although I couldn't find a level place to park the FJ.

Rock Formation Geological phenomenon Sky Geology

We love to run trails and see new places almost as much as we enjoy camping.

Off-roading Geological phenomenon Wadi Vehicle Rock

We were showing my Wife's Brother the area. He was following in his 4runner. This family jumped out of their Jeep and asked if we would take their picture.

Rock Formation Boulder Geology Landscape

After doing so, I caught the guy admiring the FJ. Perhaps he was just peeing on it....now I'm not sure????

Rock Formation Outcrop Geology Badlands

The Jeepers took one of us. I honestly don't know what is keeping that rock in place.

Formation Rock Geology Bedrock Landscape

We made it over to Potato Salad Hill. It was a lot of fun watching all the different rigs climb. Toyota was well represented. That maroon Tacoma in the back ground with the rocks painted (it's a wrap) on the rockers did really well. It's sitting on 37's as is this 1985 pick up.

Off-roading Off-road racing Vehicle Regularity rally Off-road vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Off-roading Off-road racing Automotive tire

#106 · (Edited)
The sky was breathtaking and the snow capped mountains were easy on the eyes as well.

Badlands Mountainous landforms Formation Escarpment Rock

Badlands Mountainous landforms Formation Natural landscape Butte

Mountainous landforms Badlands Formation Geological phenomenon Geology

Badlands Formation Mountainous landforms Canyon Wadi

The new tires performed flawlessly on the slick rock as well as the sand. This was inside Arches National Park. Many aren't aware that there are some decent trails to run inside the park. No quads, dirt bikes or UTV's allowed.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Off-roading Automotive tire

14 pounds of air in the tires made a pretty decent foot print.

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

Of course we made it out after dark.

Blue Water Light Night Darkness

Light Snow Geological phenomenon Darkness Automotive lighting

Enjoying a nice fire at the end of a fun day.

Text Font Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Auto part

#107 ·
Took the MJ out to play in the desert today. As usual it did a wonderful job pulling the scooters. (cell phone pic)

Mountainous landforms Mountain Ridge Geological phenomenon Rock

After a couple hours of riding, I put on some tunes and laid down in the back of the FJ to relax. I've had nice insulated shells on several pick up trucks throughout the years. The FJ is so much nicer to relax in because of the sound system.

Our dog loves to go for rides in the desert.

Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycling Enduro Adventure

#109 ·
Thanks Deb. I've always lived by the motto, "Work hard, play harder".

(After all, I could get run over by a Mack truck tomorrow).

#113 ·
Good gravy. I'm sorry to hear about that. You're a tough cookie Deb. I think the Man upstairs wanted to keep you around a little longer. We're glad He did!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.