Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in Moab the week of October 20-24 for (of all things) a Mars science conference. I wheeled in Moab at the start of June, but realized I would really like to do some of the runs with a group that knew what they were doing on slick rock (I was by myself, and only ever really done bouldery and loose rock desert stuff before). I never get to go to Moab spring fling because I always have class scheduled in spring. And my truck was dead for the various pre/post Ouray trips :mecry:

Any danger of a Moab fall fling? I'm game for just about any trail in Moab and have a fully armoured (if heavy) FJC. I just need an experienced other rig / group to go with.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
I'm going to be in Moab the week of October 20-24 for (of all things) a Mars science conference. I wheeled in Moab at the start of June, but realized I would really like to do some of the runs with a group that knew what they were doing on slick rock (I was by myself, and only ever really done bouldery and loose rock desert stuff before). I never get to go to Moab spring fling because I always have class scheduled in spring. And my truck was dead for the various pre/post Ouray trips :mecry:

Any danger of a Moab fall fling? I'm game for just about any trail in Moab and have a fully armoured (if heavy) FJC. I just need an experienced other rig / group to go with.
It's too bad I'll be there a week before. I always bring one of my telescopes, the viewing is unbelievable there, as good as Arizona. We always stay about 10 miles out of town and I look forward to that as much as the offroading. I'd sure like to meet someone who knows as much as you do about astronomy. Darnit.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There are a group of CO folks planning a trip the last weekend of October as well...

BTW, I sent you am email about OME stuff last week.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I'm heading up the first week....I think 3rd through around the 10th. Need to check my calendar again though.

Lots of experience will be along....just not the right week. :( Sorry.

Sean

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's too bad I'll be there a week before. I always bring one of my telescopes, the viewing is unbelievable there, as good as Arizona. We always stay about 10 miles out of town and I look forward to that as much as the offroading. I'd sure like to meet someone who knows as much as you do about astronomy. Darnit.
I couldn't promise much on the astronomy beyond a little bit on the planets - it's amazing that most amateur astronomers know much more about navigating the skies than professionals (spend too much time behind computers) - I actually do most of my work with spacecraft, which makes me triply useless (as air2air - it took me ten minutes to figure out we were looking at jupiter and the galilean satellites on the last mojave road trip i did :))

There are a group of CO folks planning a trip the last weekend of October as well...

BTW, I sent you am email about OME stuff last week.
yep crawloween in moab
I did a little search and couldn't find it. Is there a link?

(p.s. just replied to email)

I'm heading up the first week....I think 3rd through around the 10th. Need to check my calendar again though.

Lots of experience will be along....just not the right week. :( Sorry.

Sean
With your trailer rig? Not that I could have kept up, but that would have been awesome to see :(

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
we'd like to hit Moab for Thanksgiving weekend...wonder if it'd be dry enough still

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Hi Athena! That weekend is usually pretty dicey. I would expect cold and rain for sure. We've been in several blizzards over that weekend as well. It's my birthday around that time and we used to try to go every year. Now I just book either Hawaii or Disneyland for that weekend :). If you guys are going we'd sure look into joining you and bringing a couple of friends to get muddy and wet too. Moab looks absolutely beautiful with snow!

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
SWEET! we'll see what we can conjure up in the next couple of months...we'd love to hang out with you guys and actually go wheeling! not wrenching...:rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
SWEET! we'll see what we can conjure up in the next couple of months...we'd love to hang out with you guys and actually go wheeling! not wrenching...:rofl:
That will be better! Sara and I would love to see you guys again.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
So is the plan to do a 3rd annual Columbus day weekend? I believe the weekend of the 11th.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
So is the plan to do a 3rd annual Columbus day weekend? I believe the weekend of the 11th.

I think that weekend is unavailable for me this year :(. We can probably get plenty of folks together if someone wants to take the lead though. We are joining a very small group at the beginning of the October to make another metal threatening run but I would never drag some of the saner folks in the group over that. We have scheduling issues over Columbus day but maybe we could have more folks meet in November.
I'm focusing my efforts on a better and more organized Spring Fling for this next April. Be sure to reserve the 16th to 19th for that. It's getting closer to Ouray size each year. I'll start a thread for the Fling soon so we can start
driving ourselves nuts with anticipation.

Scott

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I think that weekend is unavailable for me this year :(. We can probably get plenty of folks together if someone wants to take the lead though. We are joining a very small group at the beginning of the October to make another metal threatening run but I would never drag some of the saner folks in the group over that. We have scheduling issues over Columbus day but maybe we could have more folks meet in November.
I'm focusing my efforts on a better and more organized Spring Fling for this next April. Be sure to reserve the 16th to 19th for that. It's getting closer to Ouray size each year. I'll start a thread for the Fling soon so we can start
driving ourselves nuts with anticipation.

Scott

Scott,
If you're gonna be up there the 3rd-10th or so, PM me....maybe we can hook up and run a trail or grab dinner.

Sean

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
With your trailer rig? Not that I could have kept up, but that would have been awesome to see :(
I think people have the wrong impression.....I'm not going to drag you out to Upper Helldorado or any other part of Area BFE.

I might try to get you on Pritchett....but only if you know what you're getting into and want to do it.

Otherwise, most of the trails in Moab are fine for an FJC. I go to Moab not so much for the challenge as the scenery and the relaxation. The trails aren't really difficult, but they do have an adrenaline factor to them since you're at times 800 feet over the canyon floor.....that and the amazingly steep climbs you can crawl b/c the traction is so good.

Anyway, if you change your mind.....you're more than welcome and I promise to be careful with your rig. :)

Take care,
Sean

·
Banned
457 Posts
I am planning on getting to Ouray the week of 10/13 and then Moab afterwards.

I know a few of the Colorado folks were talking about going back to Ouray and wanted to see if people are still interested.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts