Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well, we started our day with change in the air. Moab was issued a winter weather advisory and Grand Junction, CO was getting socked with heavy rain. The run Moab Junky and Karen and I were planning to make just wasn't going to be in the cards. So with that we studied the radar and weather reports while having breakfast at the Moab Diner. Great food!!

Moab was socked in with light rain and low clouds. The forecast was for improving conditions late in the day. We decided we should head west and what better way to do it than via the White Rim trail.

Since the Schafer Switchbacks were closed due to rains, We headed north out of town and hooked a left on Potash Rd. This put us on White Rim just below the closed section. On the way, we took in the Petroglyphs.

The off pavement section of Potash road was a bit of a mess with the rains. Looking up one of the private crossroads.

But soon we were sucked into the massive views and muddy roads were the last thing on our mind. Entering Canyonlands White Rim road.

Colorado River below.

Karen just had to be the "Muscle Man" on Musselman arch. :lol:

Then it was one grand view after another, after another, after another.

What we perceive as problems really are small in the scheme of things.

One of my favorites.

We made it through Murphy's Hogback and the photo of the FJ under the rock is on the west side of Murphy's. Shortly thereafter night fell upon us. With less than 30 miles to go, we decided to slow things down to a snails pace and continue onward.

Hard Scrabble in the dark was entertaining to put it mildly. The rains had the road west from Murphy's Hogback pretty messed up. At one point we ended up in a river bottom off route from the GPS. The river had washed out the road and it looked like we would need to follow the river bottom around the bend to meet back up with it. Karen and I walked it with flashlights for the 1/4 mile or so that we would need to run just to make sure we did not end up with an unpleasant surprise. This would be a cakewalk compared to the upcoming hill climb up the saturated switchbacks of Mineral Bottom Road.

But at the end of the day (a very long day) these last few challenges just put the cap on an amazing journey along the White Rim.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Holy Cow!!!! Hats of to you Two for forging onward. The skies were so angry, the mud so deep, the trail missing in sections, yet you pressed on into the night and now have memories to share for the rest of your lives. What a Couple, what an experience, what a superb off road truck you have.

Thanks for taking the time to snap photos to share when you must have been behind the eight ball more than once.

It was certainly our pleasure to run a trail with you earlier this week.

How am I not subscribed to this thread already? Love the pictures!
Better late than never my Friend. Nothing like having nice Peeps and a professional photographer on the trail. :rocker: :rocker:

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
We were in need of an easy day on Wednesday. Every evening has ended with a 10-20$ car wash to remove the mud and muck. We looked over the map and Karen decided that Dellenbaugh tunnel was our easy and fun destination for the day. Rated a moderate trail by the Utah guide. I see no reason where a stock FJ would have an issue. So we slept late, had some breakfast and headed out.

Dubinky Well along the way.

Tombstone Rock

Dellenbaugh Tunnel was pretty cool.

Approach angles.

FJ working out the kinks left over from the White Rim.

With some time to spare, We decided to check out the Onion trails route Moab Junky had recommended. Lots and lots of shallow water crossings and plenty of fun. But most importantly the light was right and Karen grabbed a couple of her favorite shots.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Today was Karen's Birthday. My schedule is such that I don't get to spend that many B'days with Karen. So for her Happy 49th we decided to run the Top of the World Trail. I just could not think of a better Birthday gift.

We expected some snow at the higher elevations. All I can say is WOW!! Karen did a great job spotting the FJ on a couple of the tougher climbs. Snow began at about the 5400' elevation mark and continued from there to the top. Deep in some places. We aired down to 18psi and the siped Destination MT's went to work. We chained up for the descent to control the sliding and I will let the Photos speak for themselves.

Happy Birthday my dear! :clap:

Friday we take some time outside of the FJ for a hike around Aztec Butte. A little different pace.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Happy B-Day Karen!!!

Awesome shots, once again. Did you use your skids on that trail? I've only done it in the Jeep.

Dig the chains Brotha!!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Happy B-Day Karen!!!

Awesome shots, once again. Did you use your skids on that trail? I've only done it in the Jeep.

Dig the chains Brotha!!
No skids were harmed on the TOTW. Only during the descent did I just barely kiss one when I got a little heavy on the brake. Suspension compressed and then a little smooch. Barely left a mark. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Gorgeous pics, as usual! One question about the daily car washes. I would be tempted to leave it muddy since I knew I would be going back out again in 8-12hours. Any reason why this would be a bad idea? Is this just a personal preference of yours?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I like to get the mud off while it is still relatively wet. To me, it is easier than waiting a week and trying to do it all at once.

On the mechanical side of things, I am running Total Chaos upper control arms that have an exposed uniball. I think it is best on the joint to keep that as clean as possible vs clogged with sandy clay. There is also the ABS sensor to consider when all the components around the suspension are covered in muck. This sensor is essential for Atrac to function properly. Would not want that to fail while trying to climb TOTW.

So when it comes to mud, I feel like it is best to keep things as clean as possible.

Posted via AutoGuide mobile APP

·
Registered
695 Posts
great shots, I have Moab fever now!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
For our last day in Moab we needed to get out of the FJ and stretch our legs a little. We did the typical lookouts in Canyonlands, hiked around Aztec Butte for the ancient aztec dwellings, and stumbled upon Jewel Tibbets arch (wife of Bill Tibbets from the book "Last of the Robber's Roost Outlaws: Moab's Bill Tibbets"). We then drove south of town for a shot at Wilson arch. Karen and I have passed through here a number of times over the years and have various photos of Wilson arch. It would just be a shame not to add the FJ to that collection.

Views from Aztec Butte.

Typical views from the Canyonlands road.

Jewel Tibbets Arch. What a crazy find!! We were on our way out of the park when I spotted this dirt road and made the turn. One last shot before we called it quits. Karen immediately noticed the Jewel Tibbets arch sign and freaked out with excitement. There was no turning back now!! We drove to the trailhead and took the 2 mile round trip hike and man was it worth it. The view of the arch is great in and of itself but it is the sound stage that will really get your attention. I have never heard a better echo effect in my life. A good YeeHaw and you could hear it echo no less than 7 times. I rate this one a must see and it is best if you have read the book.

The hiking trail is a loop out and back. Cool shelf along the way.

I have no idea the significance of this dome but it is on the trail going toward Jewel Tibbets arch.

View of the White Rim from above.

Wilson Arch. We now have pics of our dual sport bikes along with the FJ to the collection.

A quick shout out to:
  • Best Western Canyonlands. Great folks and centrally located to everything.
  • Singha Thai. Best Thai food ever!! I travel the world every month with work and have had my share of Thai but this is hands down the best. They take gluten free seriously and took extra care to ensure my food was safe. We ultimately ate here on 3 separate occasions.
  • Moab Diner. Best breakfast in town. Again, they take allergens seriously and ensured all my meals did not contain gluten. Great people, great food, great service.
  • Eckletic cafe. Best 'Americano' coffee. We stopped here every morning for coffee on our way out of town. They do it right! On a side note, if you have gluten issues, I can not recommend them. We tried there "absolutely no gluten" Huevos Rancheros and I ended up cutting our easy day short. Stick to their coffee.
  • Sunset grill. If you are looking for a "nice" sit down dinner then this is a great place. Best Ribeye I have had in a very long time.
  • Phillips 66. I got the best gas mileage from their 91 premium with two tanks at 15mpg and one at 17.6mpg. Worst was Chevron on both occasions at 11 mpg. Next up was Shell at 12.6 mpg. Not sure what is up with that....
Now to find some good TOTW and White Rim decals with black background and white letters.....:grin

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
[*]Singha Thai. Best Thai food ever!! I travel the world every month with work and have had my share of Thai but this is hands down the best. They take gluten free seriously and took extra care to ensure my food was safe. We ultimately ate here on 3 separate occasions.
[*]Moab Diner. Best breakfast in town. Again, they take allergens seriously and ensured all my meals did not contain gluten. Great people, great food, great service.
Agreed on both counts, two of my favorites.

Thanks for all the wonderful pics, very cool to see it in a different season.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts