Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try my hand at fabbing. I didn't like the idea of handing over +$300 for something I can fab for a couple of bucks.

I did some CAD drawings to check out weights and fit. Unfortunately they are not available right now. I'll add them later. Let's jump right in to the fabbing.

Started with a 8x4, 1/4" thick structural steel tube. Made a cardboard template to make sure everything fits.

Cut some pieces on the saw.

More cutting.

Set up a 90 deg head in the mill in order to do the holes.

All the brackets cut and drilled.

Cleaned up the rust off the weld area. Going to Rustoleum the lot so I'm not bothering with removing rust all over :grin

Used a tap to clean the threads from 7 years of grit and crud. Worked like a charm!

Mounted the Brackets and mocked everything up ready for welding. Using 2x3 3/16" tubes as rails.

After welding, wet towels help cool everything down.

More to come tomorrow.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,877 Posts
Looking good. I had a friend who made stuff all the time who made some things for me at a fraction of the cost of buying them and with different options not available on the store bought stuff. Good job.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice job. I am considering doing this too but making a drop for a step. The GF finds the height to get in a little awkward but I don't want the running boards that bolt to the body. I don't really do any crazy off roading that I really need sliders but they do help keep the rocks off of the rocker panels. Can't wait to see more pics.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Tell me, do you have any concerns of transient electricity when welding on the vehicle?
Do you remove the battery ground or take other precautions like grounding the vehicle to a cold water pipe or ground rod?

I seem to remember concerns with voltage spikes and all the computer crap on modern vehicles in days past. Just thought I'd ask for future understanding.

Looks great erazz! Nice job!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Need to take out my bfh and take out some of the warp (not a lot, less than 1/4"). If I don't hurt myself I'll post pictures of that today. And then off to painting :clap:

Tell me, do you have any concerns of transient electricity when welding on the vehicle?
Do you remove the battery ground or take other precautions like grounding the vehicle to a cold water pipe or ground rod?

I seem to remember concerns with voltage spikes and all the computer crap on modern vehicles in days past. Just thought I'd ask for future understanding.

Looks great erazz! Nice job!
You're right. Though I never experienced trouble welding on a car it's cheap insurance. Should really o it.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should be no problem with them being stout enough >:D
Oh yeah. It doesn't look like it on the computer but I'll strip the screws and bend the frame before doing damage to this.

As a bonus they weigh less than 45 lb. each!

·
Premium Member
4,669 Posts
Nice work. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

·
Registered
904 Posts
great work for sure!!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a lot of work today. Football, beer and burgers were calling.

After cooling off the brackets were slightly warped. They should be 29 cm and 37.5 cm. In the pictures you can see they're a couple of mm off (you can also see the high-tech safety footwear). A couple of healthy, therapeutic hits with the BFH took care of that.

Next up - some Locktite anti-rust treatment (aka pink sludge). Not having any high hopes but maybe it will take off some of the worst offenders.

That's it for today, time to take the dog on a dirt road and let her play in the local pond.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got to painting today :)

The "clean" rails. I removed most of the rust.

Spray with white enamel. It won't win any awards but it's cheap and will protect against the nonexistant Colorado rust.

How does she look with the sliders on?
Tune in tomorrow to find out :)

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought you might put some ramped caps on the ends...
I don't want to cap them. Easier to clean out this way. In my experience there are always holes and then water gets in and then you have rust. In CO the air is so dry I don't expect it to rust.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts