Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to post a heads-up. I am swapping out all of the fluids in my diffs, t-case, and MT with a good sythetic. I was looking for Royal Purple, but found Moble 1 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil was on sale for $6.98 per quart at Advance Auto Parts. It usually costs around $9/quart at most places.

I'm replacing all of my drive-train fluids (~9 quarts - I already run Mobil 1 in my engine), so this saved me about $20. It might be a good time to change fluids if you haven't yet/lately - especially for those going to Summit. The sale is supposed to run until the end of the month. :rocker:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
thread rob, I have it in my rear diff and asked my dealer if i should use the additive in the transfer case and he replied yes to using the transx add also wt?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for the "sale" info, I was just about to order some online and this will save a fair bit of change!

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Is it better to get the hex head for a 1/2 ratchet or use a alan wrench for the front transfer case?
I used a hex head socket on a 1/2" ratchet and it worked great for me. Especially when speed spinning the plugs (on & off) with just the socket (removed from the ratchet).

DEWFPO

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used a hex head socket on a 1/2" ratchet and it worked great for me. Especially when speed spinning the plugs (on & off) with just the socket (removed from the ratchet).

DEWFPO
I have not climbed under my FJ yet so is both the fill and drain 10mm? What about the rear fill and drain plug, what size are they?

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Both fill and drain on the front diff are 10mm hex. The rear are both 24mm or 15/16 (recommend 6 point socket only).

DEWFPO

·
Registered
101 Posts
Uh, wait a minute. Are we not supposed to use 75w85 per the new letter from Toyota? Since i own a 2008 and Toyota put synthetic 75w85 should i still change at 20k or 30k? Seems rediculous for a Toyota since the Jimmy never had its changed and never had a problem from it going on 90k.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts