Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 6 Speed manual...Daily driver with occasional back road/dirt road forays. Is Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil okay?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought by saying gear oil most people would figure I meant the 4wd system. I guess I was wrong. So, yes, FRONT AND REAR DIFFERENTIALS, TRANNY (AS IN TRANSMISSION) TRANSFER CASE.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
No it is not OK. Each one of the above take a different viscosity and the transmission takes tranny fluid.

I highly recommend you link up with a local member and do some strategery.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Front rear Diffs, transfer case yes. I would not use in the 6 manual . you want a GL4 rated oil. it is my understanding that some synthetic oils are not good for the synchro's over time most are GL5. I have been using LS 75- 90W Mobil One in my 2008 since it had 5000 miles on it. it now has 168000 miles. Front and rear diff, trans case. I live in Arizona in the heat also.

I had a 08 in the family with a 6MT and put synthetic in and the trans had a notchy feel. went back to a standard GL4 oil

Currently also have a 2013 TT 6MT in the family and thinking about trying Redline oil in the trans they make a GL4 .

MT-90 Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage

·
Registered
2 Posts
MT-90 in mine. Works well. I just put severe gear in everything else, see how that goes. Do yourself a favor and pick up a transfer pump from harbor freight. Beats the hell out of the soap dispenser looking pump that you put on the bottle.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Front rear Diffs, transfer case yes. I would not use in the 6 manual . you want a GL4 rated oil. it is my understanding that some synthetic oils are not good for the synchro's over time most are GL5. I have been using LS 75- 90W Mobil One in my 2008 since it had 5000 miles on it. it now has 168000 miles. Front and rear diff, trans case. I live in Arizona in the heat also.

I had a 08 in the family with a 6MT and put synthetic in and the trans had a notchy feel. went back to a standard GL4 oil

Currently also have a 2013 TT 6MT in the family and thinking about trying Redline oil in the trans they make a GL4 .

MT-90 Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage

I agree with the funny feeling using GL5. I naturally thought the 5 would meet or exceed the requirements and it may. I did switch to Redline G4 and was surprised at how slick it changed gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I thought by saying gear oil most people would figure I meant the 4wd system. I guess I was wrong. So, yes, FRONT AND REAR DIFFERENTIALS, TRANNY (AS IN TRANSMISSION) TRANSFER CASE.
To start with, why not review Toyota's recommendations for lubricants?

If you don't have the original Owner's Manual, you can download one for free from Toyota.com. Click the Owner's tab, then Resources, then Manuals & Warranties. Select your model & year, and download.

One oddity is that for the transfer case, Toyota recommends 75W-90 GL-5 for the manual transmission models, and GL-3 for the automatic transmission models. 75W-90 GL-4 or GL-5 for the manual transmission itself.

Manual trans diffs got straight 90wt GL-5.

Later models (from 2014 Owner's Manual) recommended Toyota Genuine Transfer Gear Oil LF 75W for the transfer case, with no GL equivalent specified, and 75W-85 GL-5 for the differentials.

The manual transmission lubricant changed to 75W-90 GL-4 only; the GL-5 recommendation was dropped.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
I agree with the funny feeling using GL5. I naturally thought the 5 would meet or exceed the requirements and it may. I did switch to Redline G4 and was surprised at how slick it changed gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same for me. First change on the transmission went with a GL5....maybe lasted 2 weeks - same as Sparky it just felt off - before switching the redline G4. It's been nothing but Redline since.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is hard to read because of the wrap. But you can parse it out. The colums are" Componet, Recommended oil Viscosity, GL Class, Quantity, Drain and fill gasket part numbers, torque, The product I actually used is under Notes. Fill Gasket Drain Gasket
Gear and transmission oil chart oil weight GL Class quantity Part Number Torque Part Number Torque Notes
Front Differential 75w85 5 1.48 12157-10010 29ft-lbs 90430-24003 48ft-lbs Redline 75w85 GL5
Rear Differential 75w85 5 2.6 12157-10010 36ft-lbs 12157-10010 36ft-lbs Redline 75w85 GL5
Transmission 75w90 4 or 5 1.9 90430-18008 27ft-lbs 90430-18008 27ft-lbs Redline MT 90 (75w90, GL4) was used
Tranfer Case 75w Unk 1.5 90430-18008 27ft-lbs 90430-18008 27ft-lbs Redline75w85 GL5 is the best substute, 75W is not available

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
To start with, why not review Toyota's recommendations for lubricants?

Later models (from 2014 Owner's Manual) recommended Toyota Genuine Transfer Gear Oil LF 75W for the transfer case, with no GL equivalent specified, and 75W-85 GL-5 for the differentials.
I was able to get the Toyota parts department at my local dealer to get in the LF 75W transfer case fluid for my 2013. It is a bit expensive and two cans are needed if you have a manual transmission FJ. At least it is for certain the correct fluid as it is what came from the factory. Toyota gear oil comes in old fashioned steel cans so keep that in mind.

I've downloaded the owners manuals for the 2007 to 2014 Canadian models and the first year specifying LF 75W seems to be for 2010 along with the following note:
“Toyota Genuine Transfer Gear oil LF” is filled in your Toyota vehicle at
factory fill. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Transfer Gear oil LF” or
an equivalent of matching quality to satisfy the above specification. Please
contact your Toyota dealer for further details.
I've attached a Toyota TechTip with the correct part number.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I filled my transmission with 75W90 GL5 synthetic. Weather is below freezing overnight. Shifting was very crappy. Hard to get in first gear. Shifting into 3rd was “notchy” Almost felt like it was about to start grinding. Reminded me of my dads 1975 International Harvester dump truck. So I changed to Redline MT-90 GL4 and shifting is so improved I can’t believe it. It is like I installed a new transmission. Shifts are super smooth and the shift from 2nd to 3rd is perfect.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I was able to get the Toyota parts department at my local dealer to get in the LF 75W transfer case fluid for my 2013. It is a bit expensive and two cans are needed if you have a manual transmission FJ. At least it is for certain the correct fluid as it is what came from the factory. Toyota gear oil comes in old fashioned steel cans so keep that in mind.

I've downloaded the owners manuals for the 2007 to 2014 Canadian models and the first year specifying LF 75W seems to be for 2010 along with the following note:

I've attached a Toyota TechTip with the correct part number.
Yep, 2010+

Ravenol has a much more affordable substitute:
https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1C1003-Manual-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B00QPCL7ZE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts