Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These is a nice sized blank spot to the left of the steering wheel which is just begging to have a nice, OEM looking, swivel cell phone mount.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to use that space to get my phone out of the cup holder?

My phone is an HTC Incredible...so far this is the best I have found:

https://www.extremepda.com/HTC-Droid-Incredible-Multi-Angle-Cell-Phone-Car-Holder_p_154.html

Of course, given that I'll probably have 3 different phones over the next 12 years, I am thinking of a universal one too....

https://www.extremepda.com/Arkon-Mini-Adhesive-Dashboard-or-Console-Mount_p_26.html

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I thought about that space as well, but for me I needed to have it closer to the aux input. So the right side it went! A custom job inspired by Markarian421. Look at his work and see if that can inspire you at all.

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I put my phone on a mount that attaches to the center vent. It can obscure a couple of the items on the center gauge pod, but it's easy to see and near the power and aux jack. That area to the left of the steering wheel is taken up by the fuel gauge for my auxiliary fuel tank and the switches for the transfer pump and my dual battery controls.

·
Registered
862 Posts
These is a nice sized blank spot to the left of the steering wheel which is just begging to have a nice, OEM looking, swivel cell phone mount.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to use that space to get my phone out of the cup holder?

My phone is an HTC Incredible...so far this is the best I have found:

https://www.extremepda.com/HTC-Droid-Incredible-Multi-Angle-Cell-Phone-Car-Holder_p_154.html

Of course, given that I'll probably have 3 different phones over the next 12 years, I am thinking of a universal one too....

https://www.extremepda.com/Arkon-Mini-Adhesive-Dashboard-or-Console-Mount_p_26.html

The only problem I see with the second one is it's adhesive. it's bound to come loose under the weight of the mount/phone eventually. You may have to hit that with a couple of screws just to be sure it stays. Tried something similar in the Tahoe, and it lasted about a month, eventually I put in two self tappers to keep it there. In the FJ I just rest my iPhone up against the info center on the dash, with bumper on the phone it doesn't slide anywhere.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here's what I use. Didn't want to put holes in the dash, so I decided to buy a cheap suction mount to see how it worked out. Got this one at Dollar General for about $7. Not the greatest, but it has worked pretty good so far. Only complaint is that it tends to rattle going going the road. Probably fixable, just haven't played around with it. It also has a clear plastic panel that you can put a picture behind. I printed out the FJ logo and stuck it there, but you could put a picture of your mom, your goldfish, your assault rifle, whatever you like. :lol:

I also connect my phone to the auxiliary port on the stereo from this position. Works like a cheap bluetooth that way. It takes a decently long cord, but it can be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what I use. Didn't want to put holes in the dash, so I decided to buy a cheap suction mount to see how it worked out. Got this one at Dollar General for about $7. Not the greatest, but it has worked pretty good so far. Only complaint is that it tends to rattle going going the road. Probably fixable, just haven't played around with it. It also has a clear plastic panel that you can put a picture behind. I printed out the FJ logo and stuck it there, but you could put a picture of your mom, your goldfish, your assault rifle, whatever you like. :lol:

I also connect my phone to the auxiliary port on the stereo from this position. Works like a cheap bluetooth that way. It takes a decently long cord, but it can be done.
Has the suction cup held up, or this something you have to regularly re-stick? Fortuneatly I have the blue-tooth stereo already...

·
Registered
187 Posts
The suction cup did drop off once. It was overnight while the cell phone was not in it. I suspect a temperature fluctuation had something to do with it; it was one of those weird weather periods between winter and spring, going from very cool to very warm. I wiped off the cup and the dash and stuck it back on.

Haven't tried it on a rough trail, and long-term reliability remains to be seen. But it has been a good alternative to defacing the dash, imho.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Big fan of ProClip. They are easy to remove if you need to, and they stay in place very solidly. I use one for my cell and the other for a 7" lcd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts