Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some exhaust advice.

I purchased the URD Y-pipe and aFe CAI to increase MPG. Now I'm considering adding the aFe exhaust for the same reason. My thought that the resulting in-cabin noise level at cruise, may be intolerable, is holding me back. I have no concerns about sound level at wide open throttle or outside the vehicle.

I know that everyone has a different tolerance level so I will say that I didn't mind the noise level at cruise produced by my previously owned H-1 or Cobra with an H-pipe. I don't like the in-cabin cruise sound of a Civic with an aggressive exhaust.

Does anyone have any FJ experience with an aggressive exhaust (like the aFE) used in conjunction with the URD Y-pipe?

Thank you,
Mike

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I have heard the y-pipe causes very little sound change. The TRD or similar cold air intake is only heard at wide open throttle.

I have the JBA cat-back exhaust. The drone is louder than the stock at normal operating speeds. I don't mind it. And no, i am not in to having a ridiculously loud exhaust at cruising speed.

With this combination, at hard throttle to say merge quickly, it is pretty loud.

My Doug Thorley y-pipe should be in on tuesday so i can tell your for sure how much it changes the sound with the current setup i have. Hope some of this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts