Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading through All the threads I can get into. On the Front of the Fj's the Bump stops are mearly about 2 inches away from the control arm! I have A pro comp 5.5 Lift (with the adapters to put the bumps back to factory spec) and 1.25 body lift.(Plenty Of room for tire travel) Is there any issues Im over looking in shorting the bumps to give me extra up travel for total over all flex increase? I figure Some one in here has had to have done it, or knows something I may not have learned yet that would prevent this from being DOne....:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive looked at clearence, axle shaft angles, tire rub, i cant figure why toyota has such a small up travel.. i have bottomed out hard on bumps my wifes rav glids over...

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Won't that put the CV joints in a bind and enable easy breakage?

I have a link about grinding away on the CV to get more travel, but I don't know of anyone that has done it, nor have I researched it to great lengths.

I think the big debate on 3" or 6" pretty much covers this and that is why most say stay with 3".

Here it is and let me know as I have the RC 6" and would like to get more travel too and hate hitting the stops. I would like to try the hydraulic bump stops and think they would "feel" smoother than just bottoming out on a stop. Good luck!

Driveshaft CV Modification for Increased Angle

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At current my axles are almost straight... with the up travel of the suspension, the axle will never be at a greater angle, than it ever is at the suspensions full extention.... I dont see wear anything will contact... i drove it on to a stump forcing the front left to fully compress against the stop. looked and even with 2 or 3 inches of more allowed travel couldnt see were anything would hit......Typicaly thats why they are there to prevent components from hittiing the frame or tires from slaming into the inner fenders.....??

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Main issues with this:
Shocks over compressing, hitting the inner fender with the tire.

I am not sure how much more uptravel you have in the stock coilovers before they would be fully compressed. The bump stops prevent this from happening. Also, if your tires hit the inner fender, i wouldn't be surprised if you got fender bulges from this from the research i have done on the fender bulge issue.

Personally, i have seen a stock FJ with no lift running stock BFG rugged trails have the tire come up so far it hit the inner fender.

I don't think the CV axles are going to be a problem at all. Unless you install a diff drop kit, then maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you notice, I dont think the tire hitting the inner fender will be My issue... the SHock is a solid consideration... Tire , Not so much..

I just think its odd the front barely moves, all the flex is in the rear..

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I missed the part of you running the 6inch lift (doh!)

In all honesty, you need bump stops. So with that in mind as far as shortening them, i only see one real option for the front of the vehicle:
Cut them off and re-weld them higher up.

Just make sure you take a lot of measurements and figure out everything (like shock compression max) before you do this. Even though the bump stops are hard as a rock almost, they do compress. So you want to make sure you have plenty of room in the shocks up travel to take this into account.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just think its odd the front barely moves, all the flex is in the rear..
Having all the flex in the rear is a characteristic of an IFS suspension. Really the only remedy to get a ton of flex in the front is to a a SAS. Nice truck though.:bigthumb:

EDIT: You could also add a TC Long Travel kit in the front to get more flex. Those would really be your only two options.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Having all the flex in the rear is a characteristic of an IFS suspension. Really the only remedy to get a ton of flex in the front is to a a SAS. Nice truck though.:bigthumb:
Or long travel IFS.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I don't actually think he could add that. It isn't designed to work with a 6inch lift as far as i know, only 3inch lifts with special extended coilovers

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If i had 10K just colecting dust I would do a Solid Axle.. I want Dana 70 front and Rear.. But that isnt going to happen... WIfe says so.. Im stuck with what I got, and thats why Im trying to get just that Weeeee bit extra squeeeezed out

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
If i had 10K just colecting dust I would do a Solid Axle.. I want Dana 70 front and Rear.. But that isnt going to happen... WIfe says so.. Im stuck with what I got, and thats why Im trying to get just that Weeeee bit extra squeeeezed out
Not sure if you saw what i posted above as i was editing as you posted about cutting off the bump stops and relocating them higher.

But that is about all i can think of.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you.. That means my money is going in the right places.. I ned to determin if the total travel Length of and where the Vehicle sets at on the front Shocks Piston/shaft. mearly trying to gain 2 to 3 inshes by modifing an reinstalling the Bump stops so they are 2 to 3 inchs shorter. Its hard to do when the Actual vehicle you are working on is 6000 miles away! But I am sure with this FOrum its do able!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts