Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done any mods that have actually increased mpg? If so, how much did it increase? Seems like most mods reduce mileage. I'd like to do some mods but want to offset the reduction by doing some that provide an increase.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put in the TRD CAI And got 3-5 mpg out of it It really wakes up the engine and makes a big differance in the power dept. Also while you're at it add on the URD MAF sensor it gave me another mpg or 2 and a huge power increase:rocker:

·
Registered
734 Posts
I put in the TRD CAI And got 3-5 mpg out of it It really wakes up the engine and makes a big differance in the power dept. Also while you're at it add on the URD MAF sensor it gave me another mpg or 2 and a huge power increase:rocker:
sorry, but those gains are not possible with your mods.. even with a fully built, forced inducted engine will have a hard time achieving those claims.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You might be able squeeze out a few with a high flowing exhaust and a CAI, or you could get a Unichip installed to reprogram your computer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
CAI alone does not increase MPG's - IMO. I have a fully stock FJC that I drive like a grandpa and I got on avg 19-21MPG and after the CAI, it was the same. Performance on the otherhand, is much better, especially on the mid/high RPM ranges, with the CAI. :rocker:

The best MPG mod you can do is to change your driving habits, and keep your foot out of it! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
skinnier tires, ditch the roof rack unless you really use it, don't lift or level it, make sure it's in 5 and not 4 if you have an auto and slow down.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mods are a funny thing like that. As mentioned above, a forced induction system would help, but then what's the point of having it if you're not going to use it. You may see 2-3 mpg with a supercharger if you drive conservatively; and you could lose more than that if you get your foot into it too much. It's a vicious cycle i tell ya.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
My brother has a 4x4 pickup that he replaced the stock air intake with a K&N intake replacing the the air tube, housing and air filter and got 2-3 mpgs out of it. I see them for sale for around $325 for the FJ. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lately I have gotten conservative in my driving. I get an average of around 19.5 mpg. Most of my driving has been been highway non-rush hour.

Quite a change from the years when I was driving Corvettes, Trans Ams and Hurst-Olds -- full throttle starts, speeding, and cruising. Bring back the good ole days when gas was $0.25 a gallon.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
You bought the wrong truck if you're looking for any real boost with mpg in this rig. I think DEWFPO gave about the best advise...slow down. Me, I can't drive 55 and with the TRD CAI it's hard to keep my right foot out of it. But I must admit since gas went up I'm not punching it as much as I use to.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I've found that the single-most significant factor in improving gas mileage is the tires.

Even with the 3" lift and roof rack (which I've removed, until I do the mini-me mod) I was getting 19.5 - 20MPG (street/highway) with the stock Dunlops 265's, driving normally (which means not jetting around).

Putting Hankook 285 M/T's back on dropped my mileage to 16 - 17MPG, with the same driving style (or driving even more conservatively). The combination of the heavier tires, along with the more aggressive tread will do your mileage in, for sure.

So, stick with stock 265's, if you want the best MPG. YMMV (funny 'your mileage may vary')...

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You also have to realize that you are "losing"(you aren't really losing it) around 1mpg when changing the tires to the 33" inch range just due to the fact that your odometer readings are off b/c of the new tire circumference.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Forget all the CAI systems and just buy yourself a K&N air filter. i get 2-3 mpg better on the highway. make sure you clean it if you offroad in dusty areas. In just over a tank the filter paid for itself.
I keep a track of mpgs for every tank and I saw a 1-2 mile difference when I added the k&n filter. I clean it after every run and aleast once a month.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts