7. US OffRoad Hidden Bumper and Mean Mother Winch Combo
8. Sirius Flood Lights in Bumper
9. Richochet Skid Plates (9 piece kit)
10. OEM Rock Rails
11. Titanium Hi Lift Jack
12. Bandi CB Antenna mount with Cobra CB
13. Passenger Arm Rest
14. Replaced front bumper wing with Aluminum Diamond Plate panels

I did not plan on doing all of this but it sort of gets a hold of you...have to slow down the pace now. Took it out yesterday for its maiden voyage in the mud. Was awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
BTiz,

I'll assume that you mated the stock springs with the 5100's. How well is that combination working with the added weight in the front i.e. winch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far the combo seems ok. One reason I went with this bumper and winch package was it’s about half the weight of other options. It comes to just over 100 lbs which pulled the front end down only slightly. Putting the 5100s at the 3rd notch pulled the front end up a bit to level it off. I’ll provide an update if I have any problems.

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
@BTiz Considering only the Ricochet engine skid/bash plate and trans skid; how difficult to get the U joints and slip yoke?

The only time I get to check out the bottom is when she is on a lift for the oil change. :smile

Boy, lots of mods all at once! My wallet would be screaming. No so sure about the wife, but I'd be sleeping with one eye open :wink

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The skid plates are in the garage waiting for me to find time to install, so no idea yet. I hear you with the wallet pain. It was definitely discussed. Went out on the trail with my son before he leaves for college. Awesome memory - so worth it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Looks great. The front turn signals, is that a hard install? Can that be done (looks LED), with leaving the rear stock? Will it need resistors etc, or just plug and play? Link to where you bought it from?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front turn signals not hard at all (much easier than the rear). It's easier if you remove the grill, which takes 2 minutes. The trickiest part is getting a deep socket for a few of the nuts. It's really plug and play. I was told you needed to change the relay under the steering wheel for the LED, but they come with a resistor already connected so you simply peel the tape and attach the resistor to a spot near the light and you're good to go. It's totally independent of the rear. The rear lights were a bit trickier since I could not find much help on Youtube. You have to remove the bed liner and the side molding in the rear half way to get to the rear housing. You need a deep socket to reach the bolts. The connections are not super intuitive and will leave one of the stock connectors loose afterwards but I think it's worth the effort.

https://www.purefjcruiser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=4398

Was also able to find an LED bulb on the Pure FJ site to replace every bulb to white (headlights, map lights, dome lights, license plate, outside mirrors). The white really pops at night and is much brighter than most of the after market halo lights out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for now no. My wife really wants the bumper wings back on, but I'm leaning towards no. I did order black bumper wings in case to keep the black out look. If the wings were on last Friday, they would have been torn or popped off on a trail where things were a bit tight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Purchased my 2014 White FJ with the off-road package two months ago. So far:

1. new BFGs AT
2. Method Wheels
3. Black out grille, handles, mirrors, rear bumper wings, valence
4. replaced all lights with LED white
5. ANZO rear lights and parking lights
6. Bilstein 5100 front shocks with 1 inch lift
7. US OffRoad Hidden Bumper and Mean Mother Winch Combo
8. Sirius Flood Lights in Bumper
9. Richochet Skid Plates (9 piece kit)
10. OEM Rock Rails
11. Titanium Hi Lift Jack
12. Bandi CB Antenna mount with Cobra CB
13. Passenger Arm Rest
14. Replaced front bumper wing with Aluminum Diamond Plate panels

I did not plan on doing all of this but it sort of gets a hold of you...have to slow down the pace now. Took it out yesterday for its maiden voyage in the mud. Was awesome.
How did you access the bulbs for the lights on the outside mirrors, if you did. I am not seeing an obvious way to get into them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The mirror lights are behind the mirror, which you have to carefully pull off. The top of the mirror his held by two small brackets that require finessing off so you don't break them. You can google the topic and find a few Youtube videos showing exactly how it's done. Youtube has been my friend on nearly every mod.

For the mirrors, look at either of these:
HP3 - https://www.purefjcruiser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=6772
HP5 - https://www.purefjcruiser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=6773

I went with HP5. They are brighter. Plus, you can get different colors. I went for cool white.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@BTiz Considering only the Ricochet engine skid/bash plate and trans skid; how difficult to get the U joints and slip yoke?

The only time I get to check out the bottom is when she is on a lift for the oil change. :smile

Boy, lots of mods all at once! My wallet would be screaming. No so sure about the wife, but I'd be sleeping with one eye open :wink
Wanted to reply to the question. Finally found a few nights and weekend to install the skid plates. I crawled under in the garage with a headlamp and did it all alone...luckily Advil helped my back and neck afterwards. It wasn't too bad, except getting the cross member bar in is a BEAR. Nudging it to line up exactly with the existing holes was not happening with a rubber mallet. The instructions state to install and night tighten but once you get it into position, it's not moving. I could not get it in with force so decided to use my winch to pull it forward just a bit. I was nervous about going too far and causing damage but it worked just right. Here are pictures of the final product. I like the fact that I can change the oil without removing the plates. I had the front bash plate and control arms powder coated in black and left the remaining aluminum and then also painted the cross member bar red just for fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nice FJ! Was looking into changing out the mirror lights on mine. Will look into the HP5s now. Thanks for bringing them to my attention

1 - 19 of 19 Posts