Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2012 MT last February and I want to start my build. I am not into rock crawling ( unless the trail requires this from time to time) but mainly rough rocky, and rutty roads of NV and Death Valley. What would you recommend for a lift, tires, and other mods for these conditions? This vehicle will be 70% on road as a my primary vehicle and 30 % on the trail. I'm waiting on the BFG At tires as I want to make sure I get the right size if a lift is going to change this. First, i think, will be the all pro sliders, front winch bumper, still trying to figure out what I want for a rear ( want a swing out with gas can and jack holder) don't know if I want steel or alum. After that unsure. Any trail tested suggestions would be welcomed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
A good coilover lift is what you're going to want to look into. Brands like Icon, Fox, and King are on the upper end of the lifts. Check out the forum vendors, you can get Icon from TRDParts4U as well as Metal Tech and you can get Fox from All-Pro offroad. When it comes to lifts, you get what you pay for, spend more and it will be a better quality, longer lasting, and offer more adjustability. You will want the adjustability when you add the front bumper and winch. You can use the forum search tool for more information. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
lift shouldnt affect your tire selection. im partial to duratracs as they are very well suited for all round purpose use.

get the lift before front bumper.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I would 2nd the Duratrac. What is your budget? That will be a big factor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions so far! As far as budget goes, I pretty much have unlimited access to overtime but have a family of four as well. I am a person that goes by the " you get what you pay for" motto and will save up for the good stuff before compromising quality. That is why this is going to be a "one thing at a time" build. Being new to the FJ world I am just unaware of what the best and worst stuff is out there. I also do not want to over do it either; getting the best of the best that I really do not need for my application. I foresee, for the time being, adventures like Lippencot Mine road, Steel Pass, White Rim Trail, ETC.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
All good advice above +rock rails and skid plates for the rocky terrain! :cheers:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I would definitely go with a coilover then. Icon makes one without a resivoir, which will help cut down on cost. If you're doing any high speed stuff, you will probably want the resis just in case. It's always nice to have something you don't need than not have something that you end up needing down the road. Icon also makes kits, which make buying new suspension a lot easier (especially if you're new to the FJ) because everything you will need is included. Living in Vegas, ordering from Metal Tech would probably be your best bet since they are probably closest to you, therefore shipping times will be lower. Hope this helped! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
All good advice above +rock rails and skid plates for the rocky terrain! :cheers:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
X2 Armor is very important. Shock armor, skids, and sliders are a must. Budbuilt and Richocet are good brands as well as forum vendors. Boztek makes a great, easy to install rear diff skid as well.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
For the type of driving that you are suggesting....I would direct money towards a basic set of skids (I have Ricochet....awesome:)) and decent tires first. After that you can determine what type of lift (if any) that you may need.

I would disagree that Icons would be the choice for you....unless you have money falling out of your pocket or you are susceptible to needing uber-cool components, probably an OME (or similar) lift would do just fine.....that is if you determine that you even need a lift.

I do appreciate the clearance that I got from a Demello front bumper and love the sliders that I picked up during one of his many group buys....money is always well spent with Jason.

Don't forget the little mods that make life better in an FJ...a high lift jack, decent floor mats,....Oh yeah, save up for a new windshield....you will need one of those too :lol:

Have fun!

Doc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts